Why become a member? ×

Vigier - Its official

Chopthebass

I gigged with my new Vigier Passion iv 5-string and it is without doubt the best sounding and playing instrument I have owned. And I have had lots of high end basses. I have yet to see how a trussrod-less design stands up to Canadian climate. Time will tell! I am trying to figure out how I can afford to get another!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Chopthebass said:

I gigged with my new Vigier Passion iv 5-string and it is without doubt the best sounding and playing instrument I have owned. And I have had lots of high end basses. I have yet to see how a trussrod-less design stands up to Canadian climate. Time will tell! I am trying to figure out how I can afford to get another!

After 15 years in the climates of Glasgow and the Orkney Islands and hauled around on tour, the neck on my truss rod-less Vigier Excess is still perfectly fine. Picked up a fair few dings over the years though.

Also, Vigier USA did a 'torture test' by freezing and heating a guitar. While I am always suspicious of social media videos, I don't doubt that this one is real. The instruments are very very sturdy. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, chris_b said:

Interesting idea, replacing the truss rod with a carbon block, for a rock solid neck that never needs adjusting. Sounds like the next bass "thing".

The only issue is that if you want to tweak the amount of relief on the neck, well, you can't. 

The interesting thing is that a lot of US reviews treat the lack of a truss rod as inherent design flaw in that 'even the fabled Modulus Graphite neck basses required a truss rod.' I think that the Bass Gear Magazine reviews score the Vigier basses very low on this basis. I really don't agree with that stance whatsoever. The amount of issues faced by necks Vigier basses and guitars is incredibly small, even compared to instruments with a truss rod. Of course, if a Talkbass favourite designer started using the same neck design, it would be considered as a revolutionary development in bass design. 

Edited by thodrik

On the series III, the two carbon rods (bars? - they look square in profile) run from the tail of the neck blank- so beneath the bridge - to beyond the nut, they near the surface just after the volute.

They're visible (just) on my solid black finished instrument. On a translucent finish, they're very conspicuous.

I'm not aware of the series II having any adjustment either. That's a full-on graphite through-neck.

The series IV is bolt-on but still no adjustment AFAIK.

I can't comment on the series I, though.

One issue I don't understand is if any relief is introduced during manufacture, either by sanding a curve into the neck or by the rods not being straight themselves. 

Edit for- I purchased mine (partially) because it didn't have any truss rods to mess with, and they were one of the things I hadn't learned to adjust. (It's ok. I have now!)

Also, it's the only bass that I own that doesn't undergo a subtle change in tone from having a "fat finger"  clamped to the headstock.

Edited by Lfalex v1.1
More info

8 hours ago, chris_b said:

Interesting idea, replacing the truss rod with a carbon block, for a rock solid neck that never needs adjusting. Sounds like the next bass "thing".

Indeed however, Vigier have been building instruments in this way for over 30yrs. 

My Passion 3 is from 1990; the neck relief is still perfect, no dead spots, every single note is even and the sustain is incredible. 

Passion II is actually kind of a setneck, as the neck goes up to the neck pickup, not to the tail.

I have had a MG Quantum ('91) that had no truss rod. It was introduced around 1995. What for, I do not know. I do have a Modulus Graphite Genesis ('99), which neck is a graphite skeleton topped with wood. There is a truss rod, but I think it is worthless. The neck is stable, like the other graphite necks I have, or have had.

In many decades of playing bass I have never adjusted a truss rod. I don't get into the "fiddling" thing with my gear. I have the bass set up when I buy it and never touch it after that. If the bass was set up at the factory then I wouldn't need to do that, or even think about micro managing the thing. I'd just play it.

I have, very occasionally, altered the bridge saddles and that is all the adjustment I've ever needed to do.

It's telling that Modulus and Status say their basses don't need truss rods. IMO it's disappointing that these manufacturers had to add truss rods when they weren't needed just to make Joe Public happy!!!

Edited by chris_b

I'm very sensitive to bass setup. On every bass I've had I try to get a pretty much flat neck (no relief) and seriously low action. If the bass can't do that, I can't get used to it and move it on.

Series 2 Vigier basses are built to be almost flat whereas the series 3 with the 10/90 neck have a touch more as preferred by most players. I find it a tad too much so I did find the lack of adjustability an issue but then again the fact that they don't move is also a huge strength. As a result I think companies like Modulus and Status added rods to give the customer the belief that they could in fact adjust the relief to there preference, although adding truss rod arguably has sound and rigidity implications which go against the whole idea in the first place. I love the way Vigier stay making what they believe in and concentrate on delivering super high quality idiosyncratic basses. They've obviously expanded the range to cater for those who can't live without a jazz -ish shaped bass but there core range remains steadfastly individual and awesome.

• Like 2

Sorry I'll start

1988 Vigier passion - bought as an empty chassis and with added Basstec pickups, Marleaux 3 band pre, Roland GK pickup and assignable knob + up/down buttons. 

I've had it eleven years now ❤️

I showed it to Patrice Vigier at a bass show a few years ago and he said 'thank you for looking after her' which was nice.

F7DD42F3-E00F-474F-851F-DAEE455857FC_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 6

My two Vigiers. 

Series IV Arpege. Bolt on design, independent three band EQ for each pickup(!), phenowood fingerboard, Delano pick ups and Glokenklang pre-amp (I think), monorail bridge rather than the previous chunky bridge used on the Series III. Great bass. Currently strung to a mad tuning of B, F, B, E, A (essentially drop B). Bought it in 2011.

Excess II. 

Bought in 2004. A few dings. Very high output bass compared to the Arpege (in my opinion the output is nearly umm ‘excessive’). I tend to always have the EQ settings in cut mode, with the treble nearly turned off. I don’t know if this is the case with all Excess basses but I find the treble voicing to be very aggressive so boosting treble requires care, Benedetti pick ups which are great but are pretty noisy when playing with a bit of gain. Currently tuned to drop C with 120-50 strings. I used to tune it to standard tuning with really light strings as it was a great slap machine. No issues with the neck in 15 years. Can destroy buildings when plugged into the EBS Fafner and Mesa 6x10.

Apologies for the rubbish pics and yes I am aware that a 6x10 is entirely impractical and unnecessary.

4C32989F-28B0-4450-BC76-A8FE1C65F335.jpeg

6533CD11-FFFA-4815-BF55-13040F3663C3.jpeg

DD9ED74F-4FB8-40D9-9CCC-9D3B4E9C9537.jpeg

AFF1095B-B284-4CEC-BAA6-1785BFFBFC83.jpeg

Edited by thodrik
  • Like 2

Some old ones I had then sold on - the Passion 4 (above) has seen them ALL off - I got lucky the first time round!

Passion 5 Series III - Not really a five string player, didn't do it justice

Vigier5.jpg

Passion series 3 'Delta Metal' fretless - beautiful, realised I can't play fretless

05685a88.jpg

Arpege series 1 fretless five - great idea; I'm not a five string payer or a fretless player... I wonder how I'll be on a five string fretless?

IMG_0183.thumb.JPG.3402521a9b38463f577f657c8b87649f.JPG

Arpege series 2 - amazing bass, sold to buy my dream bass. Couldn't quite get the action right somehow

IMG_0182.thumb.JPG.cad3b088c31d7738dfa4155b20b0dfea.JPG

Passion series 2 - again couldn't quite get the action as good as my '88

imageproxy.php.jpeg

• Like 2

Just now, thodrik said:

The walnut one is my favourite. I would love it if Vigier re-introduced that finish on their basses. 

Such a sexy shape isn't it. Shame but I think the bass needed a refret really, or at least a fret dress to get the action how I like it (low low low!)