Why become a member? ×

Status or Musicman

jezzaboy

Been playing Fenders of all descriptions for years noo and need a change. I am looking at getting either a stingray or a Status smart bass with mm and p pickups.

Never having owned either of these types of basses, can you give me your opinions, especially on the Status as I really fancy one.
Also, I have a Ashdown mag 300 combo and am thinking of changing it in the future. Would the Trace elliot 715 be a good bet as I need something portable and not too heavy as I stay in a flat.

Cheers

[quote name='budget bassist' post='383884' date='Jan 18 2009, 12:15 PM']I'd say musicman because they sound so awesome. One of my basses has a status musicman type pickup in it, and it just sounds like mud.[/quote]
Hi Buddy, I would also say go for the Musicman but for the same money you could invest in a Sandberg, either the California series or the Panther series. Personally I think you get more bass for your money and they have a wider tonal variety, although you cant mistake the classic sound of the MM. As for the combo you could also look into Markbass. They are very punchy and project their sound well.
Hope this helps.
J

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='383938' date='Jan 18 2009, 01:10 PM']Worth checking out G&L Tributes too. The L2000 is a good blend of Stingray and Precision.[/quote]
And an awful lot cheaper too. Less than half the price of a Musicman, and definitely more than 50% as good. And I say that as a G&L and MM owner. Saying that, the MM is my main bass.

Confused? You will be ;)

I have a Stingray and a Status, I am currently trying to get rid of the Status to get either another Stingray with a different pickup configuration to my current one or another Yamaha, personally I don't get on with the neck on the Status, but that's just down to my preference, given the choice I would have always go with the Stingray.

Tricky one this. Normally I'd say hit the shops and try em out - but that isn't easy with the Status being in the equation.

I've got a couple of MM's, I've been thru a few Fenders, Laklands, Warwicks and a G&L but I always find myself coming back to MM.
MM's do have a distinctive sound which you either like or you don't but they are well made and will last you a lifetime of playing should you wish. From a 5 string point of view I find the MM5 neck the most comfortable out there but some would prefer a wider string spacing (like the Lakland 5's)

Having said all the above at some point I would like to acquire a Status 4 or 5 but not while the px value of MM's gives such a price differential. Getting back to your specific question tho, of the Smartbass and the MM4 or 5 I'd personally go MM. If you were talking S2 or Stealth well.........

Edited by martthebass

Thanks folks for all the replies, they are mucho appreciated.

Regarding the G&L L2000 tribute, I had one of those, lovely natural finish, paid £250 for it and sold it for the same and regreted it almost right away. And guess what bass I seen in a picture on this site, yep, the bass I sold!

The only store that I can find that sells them online is Hartnoll guitars and the price has gone up to £600. Anybody recomend anywhere else?

I am going to look at either the mm or the G&L. So, cheers for all your input.

Jez

Go for an older Status SII or a new S2-Classic & you're in another ballpark altogether. As for the SmartBass, they're pretty good, but it depends on how much you're willing to spend on options. You're better off going just a little higher in price and getting a bolt-on S2-Classic. Once you've played one of these, you'll never look at a MM again!

Rich.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='384369' date='Jan 18 2009, 09:15 PM']Go for an older Status SII or a new S2-Classic & you're in another ballpark altogether. As for the SmartBass, they're pretty good, but it depends on how much you're willing to spend on options. You're better off going just a little higher in price and getting a bolt-on S2-Classic. Once you've played one of these, you'll never look at a MM again!

Rich.[/quote]

+1

I have an S2 classic and I love it. I tried a couple of musicman basses recently and just didn't go for them at all. I was a bit disappointed as I thought they would seem amazing to play. I'm sticking with status!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='384369' date='Jan 18 2009, 09:15 PM']Go for an older Status SII or a new S2-Classic & you're in another ballpark altogether. As for the SmartBass, they're pretty good, but it depends on how much you're willing to spend on options. You're better off going just a little higher in price and getting a bolt-on S2-Classic. Once you've played one of these, you'll never look at a MM again!

Rich.[/quote]

Don't disagree Rich. My only point was the pricing.

A good Ray4 would come in at what £600ish wheras I'd expect to pay best part of £900 - 1000 for a similar nick S2 or Stealth? Like many things does the price difference equate to 50-60% 'better' in the case of the Status.
If money isn't an issue go Status but it's all down to personal preference, I like the sound of both and couldn't call one better than the other (tho I do like graphite necks). If I had the cash I'd have one of each ;)

[quote name='Kev' post='384193' date='Jan 18 2009, 05:41 PM']take my example and go for both :P best part of a status and the best part of a stingray combined ;)[/quote]

+1 I still miss my trans teal 2EQ Stingray with the Status MM neck.

jezzaboy,I bought your Tribute L2K from you and then sold it onto another basschatter in Dundee for the same money. It was a great bass-with G&L a year ago it was ok bringing them in from the States but the exchange rate has put a stop to that. the cherryburst semi hollow Asat that tonyf has FS at the moment is a cracking bass. I owned and gigged it for a while and it had a monstrously big tone. I'd have it back in a heartbeat if I had the readies but I've still got a beauty of a USA SB-2. if you ever want a play on it let me know.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='385430' date='Jan 19 2009, 09:26 PM']Again, I have to agree with your point in some areas, Mart. But in my view, from the Rays I've played (apart from one), yes. A Status is worth 50-60% more even when it's a used model. Well, an S2, anyway.[/quote]

If we're using figures the engineer in me demands a break down of the 60% into quantifiable attributes/parameters. Accuracy to +/- 2 d.p. will be acceptable ;)

I own a musicman SUB5 and have spent alot of time on a musicman stringray4

now personal opinions, the musicman four was indeed an unbelievable sounding bass and the set up was PERFECT
BUT you could get a status set up by a pro and it could be even better!

now, even though i do own a musicman, i personally would go for a status as i prefer the overall feel and great choice in tones and i definatly recommend either an S2000 or a S2 classic, (classic for me personally) yes their more expensive than a musicman but my god, youll feel the difference!

Cai

[quote]If we're using figures the engineer in me demands a break down of the 60% into quantifiable attributes/parameters. Accuracy to +/- 2 d.p. will be acceptable[/quote]

LOL mate. Not asking much, are you?! I'm still right, though ;)

At the end of the day it all depends on people's personal tastes. As I've said in the past, I've been playing Status basses for getting on for twenty years. I know the people behind the company very well & love the personal buying experience. As for the instruments, the sound, feel & quality is second to none for me personally. Unfortunately, I've only ever played one MusicMan I liked. The others have all been dull sounding, unbalanced, lacking output & the necks have mostly felt half finished. (That's how satin finished wood feels after so many years with super slick graphite!)

[quote name='Rowbee' post='384157' date='Jan 18 2009, 05:07 PM']You might want to consider a Musicman Sterling too. There's a very pretty one on sale in the Bass Marketplace section at the moment - I am in no way affiliated with the seller, by the way. ;)[/quote]
Definately second what Rowbee says,i love my sterling! I used to have a stingray too which was another great bass but prefer the slimmer feel of the sterlings neck.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='386656' date='Jan 20 2009, 08:09 PM']LOL mate. Not asking much, are you?! I'm still right, though :P[/quote]

Pah - Call yerself a teacher ;)

I'm going to have to come around to yours Rich so you can 'educate' me in all things Statii.
Thing is until the credit crunch goes away, us poor engineers are going to have to settle for '2nd best'.

[quote]I'm going to have to come around to yours Rich so you can 'educate' me in all things Statii.
Thing is until the credit crunch goes away, us poor engineers are going to have to settle for '2nd best'.[/quote]

You're welcome anytime, mate. Any day you're at Corus/Tata (or whatever they're called this week) & I'm around, come over after work.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz