Why become a member? ×

Covers! I *like* covers!

Telebass

[quote name='Brother Jones' post='383069' date='Jan 17 2009, 10:48 AM']It's a fashion thing - like block inlays. Hard to get away from the fact that they serve no function at all, other than adding weight and getting in the way of adjustment.[/quote]

Doesn't the bridge cover hold the bit of foam to mute the strings in place for that extra dead sound?

Read any interview with a bass player in the 70s and they all said the first thing they did when getting a new Fender bass was to remove the covers and chuck them away...

[quote name='BigRedX' post='383146' date='Jan 17 2009, 12:33 PM']Doesn't the bridge cover hold the bit of foam to mute the strings in place for that extra dead sound?

Read any interview with a bass player in the 70s and they all said the first thing they did when getting a new Fender bass was to remove the covers and chuck them away...[/quote]

There is a rubber mute in the bridge cover and I'm sure there was a purpose for the covers on Jazz's and Precisions.

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='382733' date='Jan 16 2009, 07:02 PM']I want one, or two for my 54 P bass, how do they fix on ?.[/quote]

The smaller one goes over the pickup and the larger over the bridge. The pickup one goes against the scratchplate with the widest end towards the bridge. The bridge one goes quite close to the bottom of the body facing the same way. Its amazing how many people fit that one the wrong way round. They just screw into the body.

here's my now departed one to let you see:

I really want one for my gold Warmoth but no one seems to do gold ones

[quote name='BigRedX' post='383146' date='Jan 17 2009, 12:33 PM']Doesn't the bridge cover hold the bit of foam to mute the strings in place for that extra dead sound?

Read any interview with a bass player in the 70s and they all said the first thing they did when getting a new Fender bass was to remove the covers and chuck them away...[/quote]

They didn't chuck them away! They used them for ashtrays!

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='383196' date='Jan 17 2009, 02:08 PM']I suppose it depends on how you play, if you're used to pivoting on the pickup or not. I use a floating thumb technique so I don't have a problem.[/quote]
That´s not the point really. I use floating thumb as well but regardless of technique, the cover does not let you play directly over the pickup - and that is my favourite playing position on a P for a fat, warm sound.

I know Jamerson and Dunn, among others, got their ultra-juicy sound by plucking in front of the cover but that doesn´t work for me.