Why become a member? ×

My new Ibanez Gary Willis

lukeward2004

Hi Guys,

I thought I would post up some pics of my lovely new fretless - one Ibanez Gary Willis 5 string.

I picked this bass up yesterday and it needs to have the truss rod loosened up a little, but first impressions are very good - its in as new condition and the action is sublime, very low and very slick. The ramp feels just right, and although I suspect it will take me a while to adjust to fretless, it feels fantastic in my hands!

Here are some pics taken by the previous owner:

I think the GW sig is a bit of an un-discovered gem. Great feel, playability, and sound. I checked one out at the Gallery a couple of weeks back as Martin was suggesting the Barts from the GW as options for my Sei build. If I didn't already have 3 really nice fretless basses plus the one that Martin's building for me I would have been very tempted to buy one.

CHeers guys,

I finally plucked up the courage to adjust the truss rod myself last night, and I have got it spot on - the action is the lowest of all my basses, and has a fantastic feel to it. I found that I am taking to playing fretless quite quickly too, but I guess thats because the lines are helping me with that - doubt I could play an unlined!

Sound wise I cant fault it - I am still tweaking my Bass POD to get the best amp/cab sound, but im fairly happy with it so im close to finding the tone I hear in my head.

Anyone recommend any good fretless bass tunage to help get me started with fretless playing? Im playing anything and everything on this but would be nice to hear some simple fretless tunes to help me along the way.

Cheers

Luke

Check out some Alain Caron mate, he kicks ass! Also, Hadrien Feraud has some fretless playing on John McLaughlin's Industrial Zen. I'd also suggest watchin Steve Bailey's videos on the Bass player TV website, there's some real gems on those videos. You've of couse got Gary Willis to listen to, he's a nutter on the fretless!!! There's tonnes of stuff out there though mate...

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='40869' date='Aug 3 2007, 12:49 PM']don't forget Pino[/quote]

+1 on that front.

I think they had a transcription of Paul Young's 'Wherever I Lay My Hat' in an old issue of Bassist magazine. Although that won't be much good if you don't like the song.

Good luck.

Percy Jones' and John Giblin's work with Brand X is well worth checking out. I particularly recommend 'April' for starters, it's not a tremendously lengthy part but it's a lovely melodic piece which will help you work on vibrato and stuff.
+1 for Alain Caron -- the guy is a genius, easily the best fretless player I have ever seen. Just... stunning.

[quote name='Mikey D' post='40850' date='Aug 3 2007, 12:18 PM']But one of my favourite fretless parts every is Bakithi Khumalo's line on 'You can call me al' by Paul Simon.[/quote]

You can play that? The main two part riff is simple enough. Then you listen to what Khumalo plays :)

Try some Japan - Quiet Life album. Although most of waht Mick Karn plays from a technical point of view isn't too dificult, it's good to try and get your head around some of his note choices.

I find that some of the best fretless practice music is something ambient and electronic(ish) with no 'rhythmic' bass to it. This allows you to both groove and solo while trying to stay in tune.

[quote name='ADJazzBV.aco' post='41108' date='Aug 3 2007, 10:33 PM']I Really Hate Ibanez Basses, but this one looks preety cool!
Good Luck :huh:[/quote]

I must admit, I have never been a fan of Ibanez basses until I played this - its something else! The neck is just so easy to get along with and ive managed to get the action nice and low, with only the slightest hint of buzz at the first fret.

The ramp is actually very good, im finding that it stops me from digging in and thus keeps my tone very clean and consistent, and the sound from the single Bartolini pickup is surprisingly growly and full.

Ive set up a sexy patch for it on my Bass POD and if I get a chance ill record something for you all to hear, straight out of the POD - it has Elixir Roundwounds on it, which to my ears give it a lovely "MWAH" sound in the upper register, and the tone is so fat I nearly wet myself when I first played it!

Overall Im really pleased with it, and I havent touched any of my other basses since I got it - im finding that my fretless playing isnt too bad, so given time and practise my intonation will no doubt improve to no end. Then I can buy myself an unlined fretless and do it properly :)

Forgot to add, the sound from the Bart pickup is very "HiFi" - it reminded me of the sound Dood gets from his 7 string Shuker in places, very clear and typical Bartolini soapbar sound. I play mostly over the Ramp nearer the neck but as I said, ill get some samples together when I get a chance and will post up some sound clips for you all.