Why become a member? ×

Hard Rock Cafe Basses

hiram.k.hackenbacker

Mrs.HKH and I are staying at the Hard Rock Hotel in Tenerife at the moment and as a regular visitor to Hard Rock establishments, I’m always drawn towards the basses on display.

I thought it might be a nice idea to share the basses in cafes/hotels worldwide and what might be known about them.

I’ll start with this one which is the first instrument I saw whilst checking in today which is in the main lobby at the HRH Tenerife.

649F92D2-8110-49F9-B1F8-98A73F9436CE.jpeg

6B0A38F6-B0CF-4EDD-9636-76F12EAB8D20.jpeg

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I can't see the point. Instruments are meant to be played.

I see your point but I consider it to be like a museum. A lot of people obviously do enjoy it, hence the successful global business. I know some people think having a hard rock cafe t shirt or whatever is a bit naff but if I'm near one while on holiday I always have to go in and have a quick look at the memorabilia and the shop even if a lot of the merch is very expensive for what it is. 

9 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

I see your point but I consider it to be like a museum. A lot of people obviously do enjoy it, hence the successful global business. I know some people think having a hard rock cafe t shirt or whatever is a bit naff but if I'm near one while on holiday I always have to go in and have a quick look at the memorabilia and the shop even if a lot of the merch is very expensive for what it is. 

Agreed. It's like a museum and I find it interesting to go in and look at the instruments, grab a beer and maybe some food. I usually only visit them when travelling with the missus and we both love a look in.

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to add this one from HRH Tenerife. On close inspection this Stingray looked completely knackered. The saddles were all at different heights and there were chunks missing out of the fretboard. It is also kept in a glass fronted cabinet which gets a proper full on dose of sunshine throughout every morning. Bit of a shame really.

51853FED-B5AA-4BB4-A6A5-D338D340901A.thumb.jpeg.f7a6efa7a9a11f28d094241de1d360c5.jpeg

9EECF3AD-F7F5-461E-B012-335B3AADD9FA.thumb.jpeg.762fb9c663b1b5ac7d6f7b9d2dd5f2c4.jpeg

There were no basses of note in the HRC Tenerife (different place altogether). There were a few that had been 'signed by', but had no history with the artists named.

I looked into the HRC in Dubai airport yesterday while I was waiting for my flight home. Got my son a t-shirt but no bass related ephemera on display, just a tatty old sweater worn allegedly by Christina Aguilera and a jacket owned by some bloke off of Korn. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Basses aside, I remember when the HRC was just at the one location on Piccadilly and it was more about getting a decent burger, banana split and a few bottles of Schlitz, rather than this behemoth of a restaurant chain, hawking horribly bland food.

Ne'er shall I return.

The first time I went there, many years ago, there was a lady there who had been working there since it opened. The tales she could tell believe me and a lovely warm genuine person. I actually quite like the food. The wings we had in Tenerife were divine.

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

The first time I went there, many years ago, there was a lady there who had been working there since it opened. The tales she could tell believe me and a lovely warm genuine person. I actually quite like the food. The wings we had in Tenerife were divine.

The two I remember were Rita and Myra.  I think Rita was there when it opened in 1970.

When I was at school - mid-70s - the father of a friend of mine was a commercial artist...he had little studio in a mews in Mayfair.  Among his work, he was the creator of the Esso Blue Man, logos for the Open University, C&A and interestingly - keeping it local - the original Hard Rock Cafe logo.  About once a month, I'd get a phone call on a Friday evening, my mate would just just say, 'Dad's working on Saturday, up for lunch at the HRC?'  We'd pile into this little Mini and he'd drop us off at the HRC.  He had some kind of card that got us in to the front of whatever queue there was, we always got a booth and we never paid.  Down Home Doubleburger, Banana Split and even in our mid-teens, there was a beer.  Myra always looked after us, 'You boys eaten enough, or can you squeeze in a second dessert?'

Full bellied, we'd saunter across the city on foot , go to HMV (I don't believe the Virgin store was open at that point), then go and drool over the guitars in Denmark Street, before sprinting back to the studio for the ride home.

Happy, happy times.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

The two I remember were Rita and Myra.  I think Rita was there when it opened in 1970.

When I was at school - mid-70s - the father of a friend of mine was a commercial artist...he had little studio in a mews in Mayfair.  Among his work, he was the creator of the Esso Blue Man, logos for the Open University, C&A and interestingly - keeping it local - the original Hard Rock Cafe logo.  About once a month, I'd get a phone call on a Friday evening, my mate would just just say, 'Dad's working on Saturday, up for lunch at the HRC?'  We'd pile into this little Mini and he'd drop us off at the HRC.  He had some kind of card that got us in to the front of whatever queue there was, we always got a booth and we never paid.  Down Home Doubleburger, Banana Split and even in our mid-teens, there was a beer.  Myra always looked after us, 'You boys eaten enough, or can you squeeze in a second dessert?'

Full bellied, we'd saunter across the city on foot , go to HMV (I don't believe the Virgin store was open at that point), then go and drool over the guitars in Denmark Street, before sprinting back to the studio for the ride home.

Happy, happy times.

Great memories mate 👍

Yes, I think it was Rita. My wife would remember. She’s great with names. I’m better with faces 😀.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Great memories mate 👍

Yes, I think it was Rita. My wife would remember. She’s great with names. I’m better with faces 😀.

There was a very attractive blonde waitress that worked there early-80s; she used to look after the raised bar area at the back near the cooking area.  I remember we were all a little besotted with her.  Three of us were sitting at the bar one time, the desserts arrived and she caught the bottom of the dish on said bar, it flipped over, depositing the entire dessert into my mates lap.