Why become a member? ×

NAD - Trace Series 6 AH300

Deedee

Continuing my quest to further stress test the floorboards of my mancave, I got this today.

It's lived in a full flight case for most of it's close on thirty years and as a result has fared far better than many of the others I've looked at (the 'rubberised' cases tend to have chunks missing out of them looking like they've been nibbled around the edges). Some of the grey/silver paint has worn where it's been slid in and out of the flight case and there's a very slight nick out of one of the corners but other than that it's in fine fettle. The front and back panels are immaculate with all switches, knobs, lights and sliders present and correct and working.

It really is in superb nick and sounds great. No scratchy pots, all switches and sliders operate smoothly and with a quality feel to them. No unwelcome buzzing or hissing and the always on fan just spins away quietly in the background. My MkIV is the quietest running amp I've ever heard and this is just the same.

So I've got the MkIV, the Series 6 and an SMX (and an Elf). Just on the lookout for a pristine MkV AH250 now and then I think I'd better call it a day. 😁

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg

Edited by Deedee
Typo
  • Like 16

10 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Looks well looked after...the previous owner should be commended.

Can you turn it up a bit so that we can all hear what it sounds like...😆😆

Agreed. Not sure if he’s a member on here or not tbh.

I’ll give you the 3 minute warning once the neighbours are out! 😉

• Haha 1

That's a beauty. Major nostalgia in excellent condition. They are great amps. I have the AH350 MK6 version with the standard vinyl covered case. Case weights almost as much as the head itself!

For me, The MKV would be the icing on the cake definitely. It has a lovely tone to it.

How does it sound with the Barefaced cab?

I always found that the neo speakers didn't suit the Trace too well - Genz Benz Neox, Genz, NX2, Gallien MB212, Markbass Traveller variants etc, but the head sounded ace through the Fender Rumble twin 1x12 cabs, and Genz Focus 15, which were ceramic. Seems like the characteristics were so developed on the neos that the Trace wasn't at it's best.   Just my experience.

Having said that, the all of the neo speakers were great with my Markbass F1. 

Great find!

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, LennyP said:

That's a beauty. Major nostalgia in excellent condition. They are great amps. I have the AH350 MK6 version with the standard vinyl covered case. Case weights almost as much as the head itself!

For me, The MKV would be the icing on the cake definitely. It has a lovely tone to it.

How does it sound with the Barefaced cab?

I always found that the neo speakers didn't suit the Trace too well - Genz Benz Neox, Genz, NX2, Gallien MB212, Markbass Traveller variants etc, but the head sounded ace through the Fender Rumble twin 1x12 cabs, and Genz Focus 15, which were ceramic. Seems like the characteristics were so developed on the neos that the Trace wasn't at it's best.   Just my experience.

Having said that, the all of the neo speakers were great with my Markbass F1. 

Great find!

Thanks

In the past I've used my TE heads with several BF 12" cabs (which are neo) and although very powerful and clear, it's never quite been the sound that I have in my head. This time around I've gone for the Four10 cab (the BF 10's are ceramic). The 10's are more coloured than the 12's so should give me the sound I'm after.

It certainly sounds great at low levels with both this head and my others, but it'll be a while before I get the chance to try it out at a gig and properly break these speakers in.

28 minutes ago, Deedee said:

Thanks

In the past I've used my TE heads with several BF 12" cabs (which are neo) and although very powerful and clear, it's never quite been the sound that I have in my head. This time around I've gone for the Four10 cab (the BF 10's are ceramic). The 10's are more coloured than the 12's so should give me the sound I'm after.

It certainly sounds great at low levels with both this head and my others, but it'll be a while before I get the chance to try it out at a gig and properly break these speakers in.

Interesting. There seems to be some similarities in our experience. That will be a class rig live, I would say. Good luck with it! Beautiful setup!

• Like 1

On 12/10/2019 at 21:47, Reggaebass said:

Love it, you don’t see many around in that condition now 👍

You don't even see that many with all of the little slider ends in place... I've got four TE heads and only enough of those white bits to fully equip one of them at a time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, b7l4s said:

You don't even see that many with all of the little slider ends in place... I've got four TE heads and only enough of those white bits to fully equip one of them at a time.

Yes, I’m still after one for my MkIV 😟

I'm sure I asked on here once before if anyone could 3D-print these? Clearly it wasn't a go-er because I've still got a shortage!

I'm sure that if they could be manufactured there are enough of us who would buy some (or one) to make it worth someone's time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, b7l4s said:

I'm sure I asked on here once before if anyone could 3D-print these? Clearly it wasn't a go-er because I've still got a shortage!

I'm sure that if they could be manufactured there are enough of us who would buy some (or one) to make it worth someone's time.

Someone had a go at printing one for me a while ago. The shape wasn't too bad but it was rigid and brittle which didn't bode well as I needed to hollow it out further to get it to fit properly. If it could be done in a pliable material as the originals, happy days.

I know on another thread this sort of stuff was mentioned:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mouldable-Polymorph-Fantastic-PlasticTM-Thermoplastic/dp/B00CAL4BRU/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

• Like 1

I use my Trace Elliot heads with either one (usually) or two ceramic loaded Bergantino HD210 cabs through which they sound amazing (if you can  ignore the bum notes that is). I have found that if the tone is correct, crushing volume isn't needed. I'm sure some compensate for a less than perfect tone by turning up the volume (because I know I've done it too).

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Ashdown (yes we are all aware of their joint history) do replacement sliders but IIRC they're only available in black and in packs of ten. Contact [email protected] 

This type (Series 6 onwards) are still available from British Audio but it's the smaller, pointed ones used up to and including the MkV that are like hens teeth.

EDIT - Just to clarify, they don't look like hens teeth......

Edited by Deedee

1 hour ago, Deedee said:

I remember that pic/thread. Very nice.

Am I right in thinking you preferred the sound of the original combo?

Yes, the Four10 took away some of the clarity/definition.  

Looked great through... and that what's important.  Lol. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, 2elliot said:

Yes, the Four10 took away some of the clarity/definition.  

Looked great through... and that what's important.  Lol. 

I imagine it’s those 5”s in there. I know the Four10 does sacrifice a bit of top end ‘zing’ for its other benefits.

Edited by Deedee
Poor England
  • Like 1