Why become a member? ×

Level Meter to become Law?????

BassBunny

Another piece of proposed legislation that will adversely affect live music
in the UK:

It appears that the government wish to consider, (for consider read "implement"), it a legal requirement in the new tax year to introduce laws insisting anyone applying or re-applying for an entertainment license must have a noise control device fitted to the venue. This will be the final NAIL for ALL entertainment in the UK as the level at which these devices CUT you off is dreadfully low and damaging. I read an article about this in November and the proposed level mentioned then was 70Db. About the same as a hair dryer.
Someone has organised a petition on the Government Petition Site. I urge you ALL to sign it. Not only will this law affect musicians but the whole musical instrument industry, fans, venues.......
Just imagine that vast stock of gear you have would become worthless.
PLEASE DON'T DISMISS THIS. Spread the word and get everyone you know who loves live music to sign the petition. Bands, family, pets, venues, fans just get everyone you know to sign it. No one is saying it will make a difference, but if you don't try, you don't know.
PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION HERE:
[url="http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/NoNoiseControl/"]http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/NoNoiseControl/[/url]

Hmph, none of this would happen if bands and sound engineers alike didn't operate a "controls at 11" policy, which seems to happen too often at many gigs I have witnessed. I shudder to think of the amount of muddy, distorted, clipped crap that I have had to put up with over the years. It was worse when I worked behind the bar in a live music venue, I couldn't just say "to hell with this, it sounds crap" and leave.

[quote name='BassBunny' post='375056' date='Jan 9 2009, 01:19 PM']Another piece of proposed legislation that will adversely affect live music
in the UK:[/quote]

I'd sign this but can you say where you heard it? Are you sure it's not a hoax? I haven't been able to find anything online and wouldn't want to sign a petition against a non-existent issue.

[quote name='crez5150' post='375076' date='Jan 9 2009, 01:34 PM']No this is completely true..... I'm getting a blog done about it for my bands website and the fact that we will not be held responsible for gigs where these things are fitted.[/quote]

Where did you hear it? I'd like to read some more from the horse's mouth

[quote name='bremen' post='375072' date='Jan 9 2009, 01:29 PM']I'd sign this but can you say where you heard it? Are you sure it's not a hoax? I haven't been able to find anything online and wouldn't want to sign a petition against a non-existent issue.[/quote]

Agreed. I'd like to see the actual law before I sign a petition stating that I disagree with it.

S.P.

[quote name='bremen' post='375072' date='Jan 9 2009, 01:29 PM']I'd sign this but can you say where you heard it? Are you sure it's not a hoax? I haven't been able to find anything online and wouldn't want to sign a petition against a non-existent issue.[/quote]
There was an article in one of the Sunday Papers last November where the government had got hold of a study that was completed in a French University. Apparently said study highlighted a link between loud music and increased levels of drinking. The louder the music, the higher the consuption. At that stage they were "considering" the implications and the link with Binge Drinking.
How many laws have been passed without any prior knowledge.
Personally if it IS a hoax, and I don't think it is, it doesn't bother me. If it isn't and becomes Law then I haven't done a damn thing about it and can't complain when Live music dies.
At the end of the day it is your choice and I have merely highlighted what I know and the presence of petition on the Government web-site.

[quote name='bremen' post='375079' date='Jan 9 2009, 01:37 PM']Where did you hear it? I'd like to read some more from the horse's mouth[/quote]

I'll dig out the links and post them laters.... They are trying to get this passed by government at present... as you can imagine.... it's going to cause problems

Signed. This isn't a hoax, i've read about this a few times and i've been dead against it the whole time. 70DB is avsolutely f*** all. It's not until about 85-90DB that it starts to get damaging, and bearing in mind that every 6DB, the sound is twice as loud, that's a hell of a lot louder. Personally, i think that if you go to a gig where your hearing could potentially be damaged, then it's your own responsibility to protect your ears and nobody else's.

As for the link with loud music and binge drinking, well that's just bullshit, total utter f***ing bullshit.
Live music has taken enough of a downturn lately (particularly in notts with one of the better venues closing), don't let the government put the final nail in the coffin people!

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='Merton' post='375088' date='Jan 9 2009, 01:43 PM']Why would No10's petitions website have a hoax petition on it? Signed :)[/quote]

What's to stop me starting a rumour that chocolate is going to be banned and putting up a petition?

Soon as I hear it from a reliable source I'll sign. 70dB is hardly louder than a telly, spl meters read instantaneous peak rather than average over a relevant period and if it's true it's bad science as much as it is bad lawmaking.

[quote][quote]Agreed. I'd like to see the actual law before I sign a petition stating that I disagree with it.

S.P.[/quote]

At which point it will be too late. [/quote]

Down With This Sort Of Thing!

[quote name='bremen' post='375120' date='Jan 9 2009, 01:58 PM']What's to stop me starting a rumour that chocolate is going to be banned and putting up a petition?

Soon as I hear it from a reliable source I'll sign. 70dB is hardly louder than a telly, spl meters read instantaneous peak rather than average over a relevant period and if it's true it's bad science as much as it is bad lawmaking.[/quote]
That's the official 10 downing street website, that IS the source