Why become a member? ×

Level Meter to become Law?????

BassBunny

[quote name='budget bassist' post='375127' date='Jan 9 2009, 02:00 PM']That's the official 10 downing street website, that IS the source[/quote]

I just jumped through most of the hoops to create a petition there to protest the banning of chocolate. I didn't complete the process because I didn't want to distract from genuine issues, but it's easy to do.

Seriously, show me the source and I will sign!

[quote name='budget bassist' post='375127' date='Jan 9 2009, 02:00 PM']That's the official 10 downing street website, that IS the source[/quote]

Uh, no. this is a subdomain of the 10 downing street website where people can create their own petitions and sign them. But, of course, you know that, because you spent 10 seconds to look at the [url="http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/faq"]FAQ[/url].

S.P.

[quote name='WarPig' post='375145' date='Jan 9 2009, 02:12 PM']Does anything ever happen with these petitions? Im going to sign it, but i dont see the government listening.[/quote]

No, they don't. I've signed up to a few of these petitions in the past, and what invariably happens is you get an email follow-up from the PM's office a few months later that says words to the effect of "we want you to know that we take your concerns seriously, but we're not going to change our minds on this because we've already done lots of research and determined that we're doing the right thing."

So yeah, total waste of time.

S.P.

[quote name='bremen' post='375143' date='Jan 9 2009, 02:12 PM']I just jumped through most of the hoops to create a petition there to protest the banning of chocolate. I didn't complete the process because I didn't want to distract from genuine issues, but it's easy to do.

Seriously, show me the source and I will sign![/quote]

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='375144' date='Jan 9 2009, 02:12 PM']Uh, no. this is a subdomain of the 10 downing street website where people can create their own petitions and sign them. But, of course, you know that, because you spent 10 seconds to look at the [url="http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/faq"]FAQ[/url].

S.P.[/quote]
D

'

o

h

:)

[quote name='WarPig' post='375145' date='Jan 9 2009, 02:12 PM']Does anything ever happen with these petitions? Im going to sign it, but i dont see the government listening.[/quote]
Do you remember that proposed device the government wanted to fix to your car so they could tax you by your mileage, rather than using tax discs, or something like that. A petition on there stopped it.

And as for the actual issue at hand, i've seen articles in the news etc about it, i can't give you a link because i can't remember where it was, you'll have to take my word for it, but it's not a hoax.

Edited by budget bassist

I have Googled with all my power, and can not find anything that corroborates the claims made above. There are some results which make reference to the fact that some local councils may require venues to have a limiter before they will issue an entertainment license, but these go back decades. There is nothing specific to 2009.

I'm finding it very hard to take this petition seriously.

S.P.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='375183' date='Jan 9 2009, 02:32 PM']I have Googled with all my power, and can not find anything that corroborates the claims made above. There are some results which make reference to the fact that some local councils may require venues to have a limiter before they will issue an entertainment license, but these go back decades. There is nothing specific to 2009.

I'm finding it very hard to take this petition seriously.

S.P.[/quote]
Try BBC news

Okay, I've found an article from November 2008 which vaguely fits what the OP described, and it may be the article that he was referring to.

[url="http://www.pubgigs.com/forum/topics/sound-limiters-who-knows-the"]Sound Limiters...... Who knows the laws surrounding them, and what you can do to beat them![/url]

Key quote:

[quote]it is for the employer in any particular venue to decide on appropriate means to reduce the noise exposure of employees to as low as reasonably practicable, so it is for the employer to decide whether to use such devices, and how to set them up in practice.[/quote]

S.P.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='375212' date='Jan 9 2009, 02:48 PM']"I think we should just blow up parliament"

............but would'nt that be too noisy?[/quote]

We could assassinate the Cabinet with guns that pop out a flag labelled 'BANG!'
Or use custard pies.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='375194' date='Jan 9 2009, 02:38 PM']Okay, I've found an article from November 2008 which vaguely fits what the OP described, and it may be the article that he was referring to.

[url="http://www.pubgigs.com/forum/topics/sound-limiters-who-knows-the"]Sound Limiters...... Who knows the laws surrounding them, and what you can do to beat them![/url]

Key quote:

S.P.[/quote]

I've done a search and all I can come up with are the Control of Noise at Work Regulations 2005, which that article seems to refer to. It came into effect in April 2008 for entertainment venues. I wonder if someone somewhere along the line is getting a bit confused?

[quote name='Musky' post='375216' date='Jan 9 2009, 02:52 PM']I've done a search and all I can come up with are the Control of Noise at Work Regulations 2005, which that article seems to refer to. It came into effect in April 2008 for entertainment venues. I wonder if someone somewhere along the line is getting a bit confused?[/quote]

I think so. I'm wondering where the "70dB" figure came from, because I can't even find anything remotely pertinent if I search just for that.

S.P.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='375189' date='Jan 9 2009, 02:36 PM']Try BBC news[/quote]

The nearest I could find is this: [url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6252634.stm"]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6252634.stm[/url]
which is old news and along the lines of what Stylon found.

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='375203' date='Jan 9 2009, 02:43 PM']IMHO, it would be much quicker to just sign the darned petition, rather than spend ages on research in an attempt to prove that it isn't worth signing.[/quote]

I don't disagree with you. But for me, it's an idealogical thing. 474 signatures as a result of misinformation and a persuasive argument = bad. People trying to gather a few facts before they form their own opinion = good.

S.P.

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='375203' date='Jan 9 2009, 02:43 PM']IMHO, it would be much quicker to just sign the darned petition, rather than spend ages on research in an attempt to prove that it isn't worth signing.

But that's just me.

I've signed it.[/quote]
Agreed,
I will be absolutely delighted if there is no substance to the proposal. Equally I would be really hacked off if it is true and I just sat an my hands and did nothing.
It took no more than a minute to sign it....... Nuff said.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='375235' date='Jan 9 2009, 03:00 PM']I don't disagree with you. But for me, it's an idealogical thing. 474 signatures as a result of misinformation and a persuasive argument = bad. People trying to gather a few facts before they form their own opinion = good.

S.P.[/quote]

my motivation also.

And the more I think about it, 70dB is so low that it'd be constantly tripping out in a busy pub even if there was no music being played. Even in the workplace 'the level at which employers must assess the risk to workers' health and provide them with information and training is now 80 decibels' and that's a long-term average, not the peaks that pub sound limiters measure.

Edited by bremen

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='375218' date='Jan 9 2009, 02:55 PM']I think so. I'm wondering where the "70dB" figure came from, because I can't even find anything remotely pertinent if I search just for that.

S.P.[/quote]
The 70DB figure came from the original study conducted in France. The details of this were published in one of the Sunday Papers last November.