Why become a member? ×

If its tone you want....

WHUFC BASS

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='374773' date='Jan 9 2009, 08:51 AM']Enjoy....

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qDU_EHP0yl8"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qDU_EHP0yl8[/url][/quote]

Can't help thinking it would sound better with the gain down a little :)

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='374793' date='Jan 9 2009, 09:22 AM']You think so? I love that bass sound. Reminds me of Geezer Butler from Black Sabbath[/quote]

Probbaly works for Sab, but a rounder & fatter tone would work better under the guitar and vocals. Can't help thinking that it reminds me of myself at age 14 with my Satellite Les Paul and my first distortion pedal :)

No accounting for taste though is there?

Chrid

No disrespect but I just don't 'get' Cream. That track sounds clumsy and pedestrian to me. I've heard (and participated in) any number of 'blues jams' that sound just as bad. Or good. And if it's tone I want then a well-spanked Precision pisses all over that.

Maybe it's of its time and I should give them credit for being original at the time. And White Room is damn fine.

[quote name='bremen' post='374810' date='Jan 9 2009, 09:40 AM']No disrespect but I just don't 'get' Cream. [...] White Room is damn fine.[/quote]

You get White Room, you get Cream. The problem with some of Cream's recordings is that they were rushed in the studio or let down live because they couldn't hear each other - sh*t PA, no monitors etc.

[quote name='The Funk' post='374817' date='Jan 9 2009, 09:43 AM']You get White Room, you get Cream. The problem with some of Cream's recordings is that they were rushed in the studio or let down live because they couldn't hear each other - sh*t PA, no monitors etc.[/quote]

OK, I get *some* Cream.

hyuk, hyuk, he said he gets the Cream of Sum Yun Gai ;-)

That's how it was! A Marshall stack on 11 with the speakers straining and about to give up the ghost. Maybe one or two had blown already. No bottom and no definition unless you used a pick or turned the presence right up but that was a live rock band in 1967, and it was great!

[quote name='Beedster' post='374803' date='Jan 9 2009, 09:34 AM']Probbaly works for Sab, but a rounder & fatter tone would work better under the guitar and vocals. Can't help thinking that it reminds me of myself at age 14 with my Satellite Les Paul and my first distortion pedal ;)

No accounting for taste though is there?

Chrid[/quote]
Reminds me of playing my first bass through my first practice amp that was actually a guitar amp and putting the distortion on full, i sounded crap! Though obviously i thought it was the dog's bollocks :P

One of my favourites

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LHZYY2BTXd0"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LHZYY2BTXd0[/url]

Excuse the twat on guitar that thinks he's good. Now listen to the original and see if you can follow it!

JB has one of my favourite sounds. Can't beat the jack bruce fart as its known.

It is a good sound for that style of music if there's only one guitarist. Add a second guitarist to a band & it would probably get lost & sound pants.
I agree that more bottom would be better, but there's little in the way of bottom end from 60's blues rock (that I've found).

From Jack's gear page on his site:

"During the 1960s, Jack plugged his EB-3 into a stack of Marshall amps (Marshall 4x12s with Marshall 100 heads). His desire for greater volume induced him to crank up the volume control, unwittingly producing the heavy, distorted tone that became so popular in the ensuing years. Later, Jack had instrument technician Dan Armstrong install a diode into the EB-3's wiring to produce the same effect without overdriving his amplifiers."