Why become a member? ×

new EBMM offerings

budget bassist

So i post on the EBMM forums a lot, and for anyone not following there's some stunning new stuff coming out soon! Two entirely new bass models and a stealth stingray by the looks of it! Not bad for a company like musicman eh?

First is called the "big al", basically a bass version of the albert lee guitar.
Second is the 25th anniversary bass, modeled after the axis guitar, not sure what it's called though.
Both will be available in H, HH, HS HSS or SSS and will have the bongo's 4 band EQ plus pickup selector buttons and active passive switches (and i thought the bongo was versatile!!!!)
Personally i think they're both really nice looking!

Also ernie's son just released a picture of a stealth stingray and said nothing more, so i'm taking it as a hint that it will be put into production soon, i hope :)

Here are the pics! (first 3 are of the 25th anniversary, so obviously the next 5 are the big al and the last is the stealth ray)
Enjoy

I think the first one looks pretty good, but the 2nd one looks really odd and cheap - looks very 80s to my eyes - great for some, shyte for others. I'm not sure about the stealth 'ray either, but it's good to see some new stuff coming from them.

Does anyone else notice how retracted the upper horn is on the axis bass? I'm thinking that unless they've got some seriously clever design work going on that there's going to be [i]insane [/i]neck dive on it.

Saying that though, I think it looks a darn sight better in that picture than in the picture of an unfinished one someone posted a while back. I also see a scaled down resemblance to the Wood&tronics Chronos body shape.

Mark

[quote name='mcgraham' post='373911' date='Jan 8 2009, 11:48 AM']Does anyone else notice how retracted the upper horn is on the axis bass? I'm thinking that unless they've got some seriously clever design work going on that there's going to be [i]insane [/i]neck dive on it.
Mark[/quote]
Indeed, VERY clever design work. Scaled down headstock, mahogany tone block to add sustain and weight under the pickups. They've done some intense R&D and I think they pretty much know what building basses is all about now.

Edited by tombboy

[quote name='Toasted' post='373909' date='Jan 8 2009, 11:47 AM']I really don't understand these OLP comments.

OLP are MM designs, so of course they look like MM products. . . . :s[/quote]

It's this one I see the similarity to, I dislike the all black hardware especially with a black body/headstock.

[quote name='rayfw' post='373835' date='Jan 8 2009, 09:49 AM']I'm a big MM fan but I don't like those 2 'new' designs at all. I must admit to really liking that stealth 'ray though.
They all come across as pretty lazy designs. If they're going to be lazy why not bring back the Sabre or Cutlass?[/quote]

MB1. :)
Dont think Getting Harry Hill and Ryan Giggs in to Promote them is gonna work either!....

[quote name='tombboy' post='373918' date='Jan 8 2009, 11:56 AM']Indeed, VERY clever design work. Scaled down headstock, mahogany tone block to add sustain and weight under the pickups. They've done some intense R&D and I think they pretty much know what building basses is all about now.[/quote]
Yeah, i can't see musicman releasing something that dives like a beast, these designs might not be for everyone, but i really like them (go ahead and call me a fanboy!)
I think the axis will look better when it's got some hardware etc on it though

I thought the "stealth" bass looked s**t in the little preview pic and was agreeing with the OLP comments.

However, I opened up the image to full size and now I am very aroused. If they do it in a 5 string, and I suddenly end up with a windfall of cash, then I'd be interested.....

Happy to be one of the minority!

Looks like EB/MM are putting out a new range to fill in the gap left by OLP and the SUB range...

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3FG3ZSiKrYE"]Sterling by Ernie Ball[/url]

I'll have the Ray35, please. :)

[quote name='budget bassist' post='373770' date='Jan 8 2009, 04:09 AM']So i post on the EBMM forums a lot, and for anyone not following there's some stunning new stuff coming out soon! Two entirely new bass models and a stealth stingray by the looks of it! Not bad for a company like musicman eh?

First is called the "big al", basically a bass version of the albert lee guitar.
Second is the 25th anniversary bass, modeled after the axis guitar, not sure what it's called though.
Both will be available in H, HH, HS HSS or SSS and will have the bongo's 4 band EQ plus pickup selector buttons and active passive switches (and i thought the bongo was versatile!!!!)
Personally i think they're both really nice looking!

Also ernie's son just released a picture of a stealth stingray and said nothing more, so i'm taking it as a hint that it will be put into production soon, i hope :)

Here are the pics! (first 3 are of the 25th anniversary, so obviously the next 5 are the big al and the last is the stealth ray)
Enjoy[/quote]

I love the black Stingray. Can I ask where these photos came from? The MM site is pretty awful...nothing on there.
P

[quote name='Russ' post='374501' date='Jan 8 2009, 09:55 PM']Looks like EB/MM are putting out a new range to fill in the gap left by OLP and the SUB range...

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3FG3ZSiKrYE"]Sterling by Ernie Ball[/url]

I'll have the Ray35, please. :)[/quote]

They're not to fill the gap left by the OLP and SUB as these new ones aren't budget basses, that gap is going to be filled by something else, allegedly :huh:

[quote name='martfitz' post='374536' date='Jan 8 2009, 10:27 PM']They're not to fill the gap left by the OLP and SUB as these new ones aren't budget basses, that gap is going to be filled by something else, allegedly :)[/quote]

From what I understand, they're going to be the EB/MM equivalent of Fender's MIM/MIK basses, made in the Far East somewhere, so they will be a lower price point. Probably more like SUB replacements than OLP ones in terms of quality, though. Probably also a response to G&L's well received Tribute range too.

[quote name='martfitz' post='374536' date='Jan 8 2009, 10:27 PM']They're not to fill the gap left by the OLP and SUB as these new ones aren't budget basses, that gap is going to be filled by something else, allegedly :)[/quote]
Sterling actualluy said they're to fill the gap made by the SUBs, they aren't exactly budget, they're kinda mid priced korean made basses. I have to say, i'd quite like a go on one of those SB-14s.

And as for the source, [url="http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-basses/34835-update-jan-7-anniversary-bass-preview.html"]this[/url] thread on the EBMM forum, check the last 3 or 4 pages, all the pictures i posted are there, or from a couple of other fairly recent threads on that forum.

Edited by budget bassist