Why become a member? ×

Leads

Tlbasss

[quote name='Hamster' post='372665' date='Jan 7 2009, 12:39 AM']OBBM! Either PM him or visit his website - [url="http://www.bassic-bits.co.uk/"]http://www.bassic-bits.co.uk/[/url][/quote]

+1
Actually I think I have 4 or 5 of Dave's leads now so +5 :)

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='372738' date='Jan 7 2009, 09:14 AM']I have a big Sound Control one that has just screwed up, it has a lifetime warranty but that doesn't help when the company goes out of business 3 months after you bought it.[/quote]

:)

"lifetime" of Soundcontrol, obviously :huh:

I haven't used OBBM leads yet but will place an order next time I need something. I've been using Evidence Audio cables for a few years, and cables from Lava in the US (Lava build to your spec with very high quality components and extremely high quality control). I've been very impressed with everything from Lava and Evidence, though the latter are very expensive and fairly stiff (as a result of the construction of the core).

[quote name='Linus27' post='372947' date='Jan 7 2009, 12:14 PM']Does anyone know what the difference is between a standard jack socket and the muting version thats available on Dave's website?[/quote]

I don't offer muting jack sockets, only plugs. :)

Have a look at [url="http://www.neutrik.com/Secure30/getMedia?encoding=ISO-8859-1&client=neutrik&saveAs=true&saveAsName=3%20Plugs+Jacks%20PG%20V7%202008.pdf&mediaPath=D:\DATA\CLIENT\neutrik\media\downloads\&mediaSavedName=Media_1475462113.pdf&contentType=application/pdf"]this.[/url]

[quote name='obbm' post='372982' date='Jan 7 2009, 12:35 PM']I don't offer muting jack sockets, only plugs. :)

Have a look at [url="http://www.neutrik.com/Secure30/getMedia?encoding=ISO-8859-1&client=neutrik&saveAs=true&saveAsName=3%20Plugs+Jacks%20PG%20V7%202008.pdf&mediaPath=D:\DATA\CLIENT\neutrik\media\downloads\&mediaSavedName=Media_1475462113.pdf&contentType=application/pdf"]this.[/url][/quote]

Sorry, that was my bad choice of words. What I should have said is on your website under instrument cables, you have straight connector and Muting Straight Connector. What is the difference between the two?

[quote name='Linus27' post='372990' date='Jan 7 2009, 12:43 PM']Sorry, that was my bad choice of words. What I should have said is on your website under instrument cables, you have straight connector and Muting Straight Connector. What is the difference between the two?[/quote]
The muting one mutes :) (sorry, no-one likes [s]me[/s] a smart arse)

It's for people who forget to turn their amp's volume down when unplugging leads, stops nasty pops and stuff.

Muting leads are good for protecting kit, leaving your settings where you like them if you have no mute switch on your amp or can't easily get to it.
Also protect your ears, your audience's ears and your PA person's nerves if you have to change basses in mid gig ..

The "muting" plugs actually short tip to sleeve. This is fine for the input stage of an amplifier and works really well (I use one).

However, you have to be careful where you use them as if you accidentally use one as a speaker lead and short the output stage of your amp, you could cause some damage.

EDIT: Just thought I'd add that as the switch is activated by a sprung outer collar that is too wide to fit in your socket and therefore is pushed backwards as the jack is inserted, I have found that on some sockets, the spring is stronger than the grab action of the socket and the plug sometimes manages to eject itself. This has only happened so far on a cheapy Chinese tuner I have, but I thought worth a mention.

Edited by Huge Hands

A mate of mine bought me a 15ft Planet Waves cable that does the muting thing.

There's a little button on the jack at one end that toggles the lead on/off. Quite pleased with it, especially as it means that I don't have to buy another cable for a while.

Just got my order from OBBM [url="http://www.bassic-bits.co.uk"]www.bassic-bits.co.uk[/url]
Transaction made Tuesday....delivered Thursday AM...brilliant service and just by looking at the product you can tell it's very good quality.
Very pleased! :)

Re. muting jacks. I've found the Neutrik straight jacks work well enough (but not with some active basses as mentioned above) but that the right angled ones are useless. They seem to stop muting after a while and the plugs start to wobble about. I made 3 leads with them on and they are all the same after less than 6 months use. Not what I would expect from Neutrik as I've got some cables with Neutriks on that work perfectly after approx. 20 years use.

[quote name='rayfw' post='373867' date='Jan 8 2009, 10:48 AM']Re. muting jacks. I've found the Neutrik straight jacks work well enough (but not with some active basses as mentioned above) but that the right angled ones are useless. They seem to stop muting after a while and the plugs start to wobble about. I made 3 leads with them on and they are all the same after less than 6 months use. Not what I would expect from Neutrik as I've got some cables with Neutriks on that work perfectly after approx. 20 years use.[/quote]

Same experience here - the straight ones are good, the right angle ones are useless. It seems that any slight sideaways pressure on the RA ones stop the sleeve sliding, and hence it doesn't mute. You wonder how someone like Neutrik managed to let them out of the factory.

On someones elses point, they do mostly work with active basses, but you need to put the plug in up to the sleeve and wait a second while the pre-amp powers up/stablizes, and then plug it in the rest of the way.

[quote name='Clive Thorne' post='381497' date='Jan 15 2009, 04:59 PM']On someones elses point, they do mostly work with active basses, but you need to put the plug in up to the sleeve and wait a second while the pre-amp powers up/stablizes, and then plug it in the rest of the way.[/quote]

Ah, right. I'll give that a try.
How about taking them out? I can't seem to do it without it making an awful ptpthh noise through my amp with my active basses.