Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Not a bass but when will we see it on one?

phsycoandy

Hmm, that's rather quick.

Flawed as by what I could tell the tuners were quite happy to tune down to pitch, common knowledge is that you always tune UP to pitch to get the tension right and to help ensure a stable tuning, although that could be a mute point if it constantly checks that the guitar is in tune as just by playing it would end up tuning up a little bit.

i do like the idea, from what iv seen that knob is very, very fiddly, but other than that (pending it works of course) i can see it being a great way of changing tuning fast mid set

Edited by BassManKev

wouldn't the motors need to be stronger due to thew higher tension in bass strings?
I saw this guitar when someone pointed it out on another forum I'm on and it sparked this atrocious debate about how it would harm beginnners as it takes away the difficulty of tuning a guitar.....

Hmmm....

Right....

Despite the fact that this tech currently costs in the hundreds of pounds and as such cannot be afforded by a learner... Sigh.

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='372543' date='Jan 6 2009, 10:40 PM']Gibson DarkFire, just whatch them tuners go, cool!

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=B4HJLCm4oGw"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=B4HJLCm4oGw[/url][/quote]

Maybe Bernie could add them to the extras on the GB basses alongside the drum machine :)

Part of the reason Gibson are running with this one (apart from the obvious novelty) is their guitars are notorious for going out of tune. Some say that's down to the headstock angle but I think part of the blame is their heavy use of vintage tuner designs.

Edited by cytania

I'm a dinosaur who loves his rack tuner and likes to use his hands in as many ways possible to make his instrument sound nice. I never have tuning problems because I string properly and stretch them properly. I don't like silly weird effects. I'm open to new ideas but I know how to recognise a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

So - when do you think I'll be buying anything like this??

Answers in an email to

don'twasteyourfu**inghardearnedmoneyonsh*te dot hotmail etc

[quote name='OldGit' post='372716' date='Jan 7 2009, 08:49 AM']Maybe Bernie could add them to the extras on the GB basses alongside the drum machine :)[/quote]
Ah, but only if it doesn't interfere with the tea & coffee making facility.

[quote name='OldGit' post='372716' date='Jan 7 2009, 08:49 AM']Maybe Bernie could add them to the extras on the GB basses alongside the drum machine :)[/quote]

It's a metronome FFS. A metronome...

Edited by EBS_freak

I don't think BG would be up for that anyway. Weight distribution and balance is too important to him... putting all that weight at the headstock would play havoc with the balance.

How many batteries does this tuning thing take anyway?

[quote name='cytania' post='372761' date='Jan 7 2009, 09:31 AM']Part of the reason Gibson are running with this one (apart from the obvious novelty) is their guitars are notorious for going out of tune. Some say that's down to the headstock angle but I think part of the blame is their heavy use of vintage tuner designs.[/quote]

One of the biggest reasons that Gibbos have a problem staying in tune is the angle that is introduced between the nut and the tuning post. The friction that is introduced means that the string can't move freely through the nut whilst being tuned. When being played, the string then slips slighty making the instrument out of tune. To help this problem, apply a liberal amount of graphite from a pencil to the nut slots to help lubricate and aid the movement of the string in the nut slot... or buy an instrument with a decently designed head.

The worst guitar ever created for this problem? Take a ganders at this

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='372940' date='Jan 7 2009, 12:07 PM']There's some fin wrong with that design.[/quote]

:) terrible.

back to the self tuning thingies, i think theyd be an excellent idea if they didnt cost a stupid amount of money. theyre not worth the amount they cost, not by a long way. neither are gibsons for that matter.