Why become a member? ×

New Fender 'Roadworn' Series

molan

Anyone seen these yet?

[url="http://www.fender.com/roadworn/site.php?language=uk_english"]http://www.fender.com/roadworn/site.php?language=uk_english[/url] (skip the intro it's rubbish!)

Relic style '60's Jazz & '50's Precision. I think they are MIM rather than MIA but Fender site isn't clear (unless I'm missing it somewhere).

Here's a Jazz:

and a P:

Both also come in Fiesta Red:

Opening price from UK dealers seems to be around the £950 mark so maybe they are MIA after all - or just very expensive MIM?

Edited by molan

Fender marketing must think the average mental age of its bass customers is about 12. Not quite as bad as Seymout Duncan, who actually puts dirt in his Antiquity pickups and deliberately rusts the metal parts.

Why haven't car makers latched onto this idea - I'm sure we'd all rush out to buy a rusty, muddy BMW with scratched and bashed bodywork at twice the price of a pristing one. Wouldn't we?

Thing is, it's not the aging process which makes them such a bad deal (although I would never buy one), it's the price! For crying out loud, it's nearly double the price of a "normal" Classic '60! :)

I think, though, that the marketing team at Fender's not stupid. Most probably, they have made a Road Worn series because there are people that will buy one :huh:

Edited by Boneless

[quote name='stevie' post='371655' date='Jan 6 2009, 09:43 AM']Fender marketing must think the average mental age of its bass customers is about 12. Not quite as bad as Seymout Duncan, who actually puts dirt in his Antiquity pickups and deliberately rusts the metal parts.

Why haven't car makers latched onto this idea - I'm sure we'd all rush out to buy a rusty, muddy BMW with scratched and bashed bodywork at twice the price of a pristing one. Wouldn't we?[/quote]

Right on, Stevie! Good sense from a neighbour (I'm in Wool!) :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='371712' date='Jan 6 2009, 10:31 AM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=35710"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=35710[/url][/quote]

Interesting - I actually searched for both "road worn" & "roadworn" from the main search box in case this topic had been covered before and it didn't give me any results?

[quote name='molan' post='371790' date='Jan 6 2009, 11:42 AM']Interesting - I actually searched for both "road worn" & "roadworn" from the main search box in case this topic had been covered before and it didn't give me any results?[/quote]

Try reinventing the wheel.

[quote name='Leowasright' post='371663' date='Jan 6 2009, 09:49 AM']I cannot understand why people do not just buy new one and wear it out themselves over 20 years.[/quote]

People will always pay for stuff they think looks cool in whatever way appeals to them. Trust me - I work in marketing (actually if ever you hear the words "trust me" & "I work in marketing" together then the last thing you should do is trust the person that says them!).

I can completely see a scenario, especially in the States where there are lots of smaller venues, where a small bar/club gigging band would want a cheaper alternative to look like they've been around the block a few times with their instruments rather than shelling out on a genuine vintage guitar/bass. If the pickups are up to scratch, or decent aftermarket ones are fitted, then I reckon they would sound good & look quite impressive on stage.

[quote name='molan' post='371798' date='Jan 6 2009, 11:46 AM']People will always pay for stuff they think looks cool in whatever way appeals to them. Trust me - I work in marketing (actually if ever you hear the words "trust me" & "I work in marketing" together then the last thing you should do is trust the person that says them!).

I can completely see a scenario, especially in the States where there are lots of smaller venues, where a small bar/club gigging band would want a cheaper alternative to look like they've been around the block a few times with their instruments rather than shelling out on a genuine vintage guitar/bass. If the pickups are up to scratch, or decent aftermarket ones are fitted, then I reckon they would sound good & look quite impressive on stage.[/quote]

You're right.....I'd have one for the look of it...and why not? Wouldn't pay a grand for it though. Some people like taking their instruments to Sims for a custom paint job or LED's...actually don't sims do a relic paint job too? It's all vanity at the end of the day.

[quote name='chris_b' post='371821' date='Jan 6 2009, 11:56 AM']Why haven't people got enough imagination to relic one of their own and save hundreds of pounds? Just have a look on www.gbase.com for the right wear patterns.[/quote]

I thought this one looked quite nice:

Only $45K as well. . .

Edited by molan

[quote name='PVTele' post='371704' date='Jan 6 2009, 10:28 AM']Right on, Stevie! Good sense from a neighbour (I'm in Wool!) :)[/quote]

Very nice to meet another resident of God's beautiful county. I'm a newcomer myself, but I love it here.