Why become a member? ×

should bands carry on when there's only one original member?

PaulWarning

4 hours ago, TimR said:

McCartney doesn’t wear a wig. 

I assume he was showing typical British humour when he made that remark. 

Sorry Ive been watching Paul since 1964. I respectfully disagree. It was not British humour, it was British honesty.McCartney started thinning badley in the 90s

You can hardly tell it's not his hair .

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

20 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Sorry Ive been watching Paul since 1964. I respectfully disagree. It was not British humour, it was British honesty.McCartney started thinning badley in the 90s

You can hardly tell it's not his hair .

Blue

Indeed. A very realistic wig. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6621355/amp/Paul-McCartney-76-looks-chilly-steps-New-York-City-amid-plunging-temperatures.html

3 hours ago, TimR said:

Wigs and hair solutions are really good these days.It looks good but I still say both pics are some sort of hair solution.

I really see nothing wrong wearing a wig. I'm losing a lot of hair and plan on researching what solution is besr for me.

There must be someone here on BC that can spot these hair solutions other than me.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

On 21/09/2019 at 11:43, Bassman Sam said:

I've recently seen Martin Turner, Ex Wishbone Ash live.  Outstanding band. I wouldn't go to see Wishbone Ash with Andy Powell though but that's for a different thread.

Do say :)

I've seen both bands several times. Andy Powell used to play Honiton Motel just down the road from me as a warm up for his annual European tour, it would have been rude not to go. A mate of mine is a big Wishbone Ash fan and I've seen the Martin Turner version a couple of times too. Very different approaches Martin's band is a recreation of WA with Martin front and centre. Andy Turner who I think has never really stopped gigging is more of a band, they'll play their latest songs as well as Argus and whilst the old ones are recognisable there's a lot of improvisation too. Both are good bands, I have to say Andy Turner is a lovely guy and so is Bob Skeat his bassist.

53 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

Do say :)

I've seen both bands several times. Andy Powell used to play Honiton Motel just down the road from me as a warm up for his annual European tour, it would have been rude not to go. A mate of mine is a big Wishbone Ash fan and I've seen the Martin Turner version a couple of times too. Very different approaches Martin's band is a recreation of WA with Martin front and centre. Andy Turner who I think has never really stopped gigging is more of a band, they'll play their latest songs as well as Argus and whilst the old ones are recognisable there's a lot of improvisation too. Both are good bands, I have to say Andy Turner is a lovely guy and so is Bob Skeat his bassist.

Not a follower of Wishbone Ash altho i recognise and enjoy many of their older songs but have no idea of members or line ups etc but should your last line read Andy Powell rather than Andy Turner ? 🙂

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

7 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Wigs and hair solutions are really good these days.It looks good but I still say both pics are some sort of hair solution.

I really see nothing wrong wearing a wig. I'm losing a lot of hair and plan on researching what solution is besr for me.

There must be someone here on BC that can spot these hair solutions other than me.

Blue

Irrespective, MCCartney is a pretty bad example. He’s not wandering around incognito most of the time and then popping up for a performance dressed up as a 1960s version of himself with 3 other people and still claiming to be the Beatles. 

In fact I’d say he is the polar opposite. He’s moved on and had success with many other projects. Fair enough he’s had the money and hit the big time at the right time that others haven’t managed but for the purposes of the discussion I’d say he doesn’t fit our description. 

Now the Bootleg Beatles are probably more along the lines of the ultimate direction that these bands will end up being. There’s nothing wrong with that at all as far as I can see.

I just think it’s a bit weird when the performers have forgotten that they’re playing a part when they step on stage. That part is ‘the person they were 30 years ago’, fine, wear a wig, wear odd clothes, put on an exciting and dynamic performance, but I think the only person they’re kidding is themselves. 

There was a great Saxon program done where they tried to be relaunched from playing in Spanish clubs to age related audiences, to become a modern, relevant British heavy metal band. And they weren’t really up for it and it fell flat. 

Some people are living their onstage persona still, when really they should have moved on. Perform as that person, but 30 years on who in their 50s and older, really recognises themselves as that 20 something rebel? 

18 hours ago, TimR said:

That really depends on what the business entity Status Quo is, and what partnerships and contracts are involved with the other members. 

I get your point, but Quo without Francis Rossi couldn't fill a phone box.

Doctor Feelgood are trooping round with no original members - they have carried on and have evolved to the current line-up with the surviving former members blessing.

56 minutes ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

There's a further challenge if the group's name relates to the number of band members. Though this, apparently, didn't seem to deter the remaining members of pop groups 5ive and S Club 7 after some of their original members buggered off and weren't replaced...

Also when original line ups get depleted with apparently no replacements needed - I'm looking at you Take That (5->4->3!!), Boyzone (sadly due to death of a member)  & Bananarama (once 3, then 2-3-2-3 etc...) All pop vocal bands which makes you wonder how many of them they needed in the first place I guess, (same as 5ive and S Club however many are left now..)

Several years ago we put together a 'family tree' - back then SLAG were version #7 - today we're on version #9 and I'm back in the band (have been for several years) - acts not on the tree that probably should be there: Rudimentary Peni & Above and Beyond

outofdateSLAGfamily tree.jpg

Edited by Twigman

42 minutes ago, Twigman said:

What do you class as the 'original lineup' ?

Is it the lineup that attends the first rehearsal?

Or the lineup that records the first record?

Does a name change count as the same band or another?

The lineup that recorded the last big hit. 

55 minutes ago, Twigman said:

Several years ago we put together a 'family tree' - back then SLAG were version #7 - today we're on version #9 and I'm back in the band (have been for several years) - acts not on the tree that probably should be there: Rudimentary Peni & Above and Beyond

outofdateSLAGfamily tree.jpg

I wondered if Steve Carter would be somewhere on there.

4 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Yeah was in a band - Blackreign - with him in the early 90s, he was on rhythm guitar.

Should be added to the family tree, then. The one above goes to about 1990....we've got 30 years to add to it!!

He played bass and vocals in Traumatics

Edited by Twigman

Just now, Twigman said:

Should be added to the family tree, then. The one above goes to about 1990....we've got 30 years to add to it!!

Well in that case, ‘‘twas Steve on rhythm gtr, me on bass, Mark Emmins on vocals, Julian Cooper (Ray Coopers Son) on lead gtr  and Mick Green on drums.

• Like 1