Why become a member? ×

Best British Bassist

scarified

[quote name='YouMa' post='369336' date='Jan 3 2009, 04:23 PM']That was steve jones chugging his low E on never mind the bollocks.[/quote]

I thought it was Glen Matlock who played bass on Nevermind The Bollocks?

I started playing bass in 1980 because of JJ Burnel's bass sound - he is still a big influence for me (along with Dave Alexander of the Stooges)

Edited by Pookus

[quote name='Pookus' post='369360' date='Jan 3 2009, 04:45 PM']I thought it was Glen Matlock who played bass on Nevermind The Bollocks?

I started playing bass in 1980 because of JJ Burnel's bass sound - he is still a big influence for me (along with Dave Alexander of the Stooges)[/quote]
So did i till i watched classic albums,matlock played on the early stuff and gigs.The steve jones thing actually came from the producers own mouth so i assume it must be true.

[quote name='YouMa' post='369369' date='Jan 3 2009, 04:55 PM']So did i till i watched classic albums,matlock played on the early stuff and gigs.The steve jones thing actually came from the producers own mouth so i assume it must be true.[/quote]

"In John Lydon's autobiography Rotten: No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs, Lydon claimed incorrectly that Matlock worked on later Sex Pistols material (including their album Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols) as a paid session musician. Glen only played on "Anarchy in the UK" which was recorded and released as a single while he was still in the group. (The remainder of the bass lines were played by Jones. Vicious recorded a bass part for "Bodies" and "God Save The Queen," however, Jones later rerecorded or overdubbed the parts)."

You are spot on. Now I know the truth! Thanks. :)

A very interesting discussion and perhaps one that has been predictably tainted by people voting for their favourite bands and just adding the guy playing bass to the list.

I accept that great bass paying means putting the right note in the right place and even in musical genres where the skill required to do this is not comparable with rocket science or brain surgery, there are still exponents who demonstrate unmistakable skill. This is the list with Sting, Paul Macartny, John Paul Jones, Roger Glover and many other more recent examples in there.

Then there's a group who innovated above and beyond the cause, who pushed bass playing out from skillful feel and foundation territory and up a notch into the limelight. This group is a wider span, staring perhaps with the like of Jack Bruce and including so many others, John Entwistle (OF COURSE!), How about Flea anyone?, Mike Rutherford, yes etc etc

You need a group for the pure technical excellence brigade - just put in all the Jazz players here! No lack of respect intended, just that I'm, well out of touch and listened to mostly american jazz players myself and missed all the UK fusion stuff and much that followed.

Then you might need a class for people who created a whole new sound, but the problem here is knowing how original they were, I mean, was Palladino not heavily influenced by Mick Kahn? But you can probably put him in here for the influence he had on British bass playing.

Then I have one class left. There's a guy out there who simply reinvented the role of the bass in music, and developed an entirely new way to play it by adapting skills from many that had gone before and pushing the boundarieds to new limits. He had better technique than anyone who ever went before and in a live concert many a time included 'tribute's' to the greats (Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller, Jaco Pastorious etc etc) and proved he could match them all. I don't really care what you think of Level 42's pop songs, but best bassist in Britain? Be serious, there is no contest!

Edited by Bassmanc

[quote name='Bassmanc' post='370161' date='Jan 4 2009, 06:06 PM']A very interesting discussion and perhaps one that has been predictably tainted by people voting for their favourite bands and just adding the guy playing bass to the list.

I accept that great bass paying means putting the right note in the right place and even in musical genres where the skill required to do this is not comparable with rocket science or brain surgery, there are still exponents who demonstrate unmistakable skill. This is the list with Sting, Paul Macartny, John Paul Jones, Roger Glover and many other more recent examples in there.

Then there's a group who innovated above and beyond the cause, who pushed bass playing out from skillful feel and foundation territory and up a notch into the limelight. This group is a wider span, staring perhaps with the like of Jack Bruce and including so many others, John Entwistle (OF COURSE!), How about Flea anyone?, Mike Rutherford, yes etc etc

You need a group for the pure technical excellence brigade - just put in all the Jazz players here! No lack of respect intended, just that I'm, well out of touch and listened to mostly american jazz players myself and missed all the UK fusion stuff and much that followed.

Then you might need a class for people who created a whole new sound, but the problem here is knowing how original they were, I mean, was Palladino not heavily influenced by Mick Kahn? But you can probably put him in here for the influence he had on British bass playing.

Then I have one class left. There's a guy out there who simply reinvented the role of the bass in music, and developed an entirely new way to play it by adapting skills from many that had gone before and pushing the boundarieds to new limits. He had better technique than anyone who ever went before and in a live concert many a time included 'tribute's' to the greats (Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller, Jaco Pastorious etc etc) and proved he could match them all. I don't really care what you think of Level 42's pop songs, but best bassist in Britain? Be serious, there is no contest![/quote]

I agree with you all the way..... but I can see a big wash of criticism on the way.... ;o)

[quote name='Bassmanc' post='370161' date='Jan 4 2009, 06:06 PM']A very interesting discussion and perhaps one that has been predictably tainted by people voting for their favourite bands and just adding the guy playing bass to the list.

Then I have one class left. There's a guy out there who simply reinvented the role of the bass in music, and developed an entirely new way to play it by adapting skills from many that had gone before and pushing the boundarieds to new limits. He had better technique than anyone who ever went before and in a live concert many a time included 'tribute's' to the greats (Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller, Jaco Pastorious etc etc) and proved he could match them all. I don't really care what you think of Level 42's pop songs, but best bassist in Britain? Be serious, there is no contest![/quote]

I totally agree with you, I'm a huge fan of Mark King, he's probably the biggest influence on many players aged 35 upwards.

He's also acknowleged by players like Stanley and Marcus as being inovative, and taking the slap thing further.

He also influenced Matt Garrison to take up bass !.

For some reason though, there's always a huge crowd of people waiting to criticise him. Usually the same people who criticise anyone who can actually play.

[quote name='Protium' post='370210' date='Jan 4 2009, 06:56 PM']Whats your point?[/quote]

Probably that Sid Vicious wasn't actually a very good bassist - Steve Jones had to re-record / overdub the tracks Vicious attempted to play. Glen Matlock wrote most of the early Sex Pistols basslines but only recorded the single Anarchy in the UK. It was Steve Jones who recorded the bass lines on Nevermind The Bollocks.

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='370223' date='Jan 4 2009, 07:14 PM']I totally agree with you, I'm a huge fan of Mark King, he's probably the biggest influence on many players aged 35 upwards.

He's also acknowleged by players like Stanley and Marcus as being inovative, and taking the slap thing further.

He also influenced Matt Garrison to take up bass !.

For some reason though, there's always a huge crowd of people waiting to criticise him. Usually the same people who criticise anyone who can actually play.[/quote]

While most will appreciate Mark King's ability many will be put off simply because they don't like Level 42 (me included)

Mark King was an influence on me, not so much my playing these days.
He, along with JJ Burnel, Macca, Mike Ruderford, Chris Squire, Geddy Lee, Lemmy, made it a no brainer to me to pick up a bass.
Mark King was the first bass player to make me think "What the f*** is going on here?"
Massive polyrhythms, aggression, crazy note choices and all while he sang lead vocal. I had no musical tutorage as a child, so to a 16 year old who had never heared anything outside of punk, prog, new wave, disco, ska, this blew me away.
Mark King is one of the best bassists Britain has ever had.

I decided not to read most of this because everytime these things are posted there is names I don't know...most likely jazzers playing boutique equipment, so....................the best of British...has to be the man still playing and touring with the biggest rock band in the world:

AC/DC's very own Cliff Williams

Solid reliable bass player who does all the right things and gets no credit for it!! here you go Cliff - you were my biggest influence when starting in 1981 and you shaped my appreciation for doing the right thing whilst being solid, dependable, reliable and above all else...for the sheer enjoyment of it all! thanks Cliff you are a star!

please feel free to correct me if you dare! also if someone has mentioned him in this thread please correct me!!!

andy

[quote name='Bassmanc' post='370161' date='Jan 4 2009, 06:06 PM']I don't really care what you think of Level 42's pop songs, but best bassist in Britain? Be serious, there is no contest![/quote]

The thread title is actually best british bassist and although he has resided in the States for many years now Dave Holland being originally from (I think) Wolverhampton, completely wipes the floor with Mark King, who I agree is a very capable player, so no disrespect to his achievements.

Dave is a truly world class innovative all round complete bass player, musician and composer. Mark King has been very successful, can really play and has written some good songs, but IMO they are in different classes altogether

[quote name='jakesbass' post='370316' date='Jan 4 2009, 08:28 PM']The thread title is actually best british bassist and although he has resided in the States for many years now Dave Holland being originally from (I think) Wolverhampton, completely wipes the floor with Mark King, who I agree is a very capable player, so no disrespect to his achievements.

Dave is a truly world class innovative all round complete bass player, musician and composer. Mark King has been very successful, can really play and has written some good songs, but IMO they are in different classes altogether[/quote]

It's a very poorly titled question really, ideally you should have different genres listed, so Mark King would be under pop, and Dave Holland would be under jazz, but Dave Holland still wouldn't win because Lawrence Cottle is tons better. :)

Unless of course the question was 'Who's the best British bassist, currently living in New York, who's 1st name is Dave ?'.

Edited by 6stringbassist

Agree that some 'also-rans' should be in the top list and vice-versa. Just try playing along with Entwistle, note-for-note, with his unique legato phrasing. Love John Taylor's playing but wouldn't qualify him for the top list. Am I the only one to think that Derek Forbes is one of the greatest British Bassists? Also check out Jeremy whatshisname from A Certain Ratio.

[quote name='Eoghan' post='370356' date='Jan 4 2009, 09:10 PM']Agree that some 'also-rans' should be in the top list and vice-versa. Just try playing along with Entwistle, note-for-note, with his unique legato phrasing. Love John Taylor's playing but wouldn't qualify him for the top list. Am I the only one to think that Derek Forbes is one of the greatest British Bassists? Also check out Jeremy whatshisname from A Certain Ratio.[/quote]
Wasn't it Donald Johnson in ACR? He took over bass duties from Jeremy xxxxx and played all the hard slap lines IIRC

Firstly, I'm more comfortable with the term "Favourite" than best, and secondly, I can't believe that two of my favourites that I thought of straight away, don't appear to have been given a mention yet ...

Canterbury's Rotter Club supremo, [b]Richard Sinclair[/b], and Birmingham's cheeky chappie, [b]Dave Pegg[/b].

Both very influential to my humble self, though admittedly of more appeal to those who remember the 70s.