Why become a member? ×

Build Diary ACG #3 - Now Finished!

Scoop

I've recently worked out the build specification on my third ACG.

This one will be a Finn 4 with a Spanish Cedar core, redwood front and back, five piece sycamore, bubinga and wenge neck with an acrylicised redwood fretboard.

The fretboard is probably a World's first (to my and Alan Cringean of ACG's knowledge) in using acryilicised redwood for a fretboard.

I've specified just one magnetic pickup, a MM sized version of ACG's own, together with a piezo bridge and ACG's own filtering pre-amp.

Alan has sent some pics of the woods...

The back.

The top.

The fretboard.

And put together.

I already own two ACGs and this is, without doubt, the most beautiful I've asked him to build. Can't wait...

Edited by Scoop

You buying a 3rd one makes me so much surer that I'm going to love mine when it arrives! Really can't wait!. Beautiful wood there! Especially for the neck. So whats on the board for your 4th acg then? :) Do you get loyalty points when buying your 2nd or 3rd bass out of interest :huh:

You buying a 3rd one makes me so much surer that I'm going to love mine when it arrives! Really can't wait!. Beautiful wood there! Especially for the neck. So whats on the board for your 4th acg then? :) Do you get loyalty points when buying your 2nd or 3rd bass out of interest :huh:

[quote name='charic' post='365284' date='Dec 29 2008, 07:22 AM']You buying a 3rd one makes me so much surer that I'm going to love mine when it arrives! Really can't wait!. Beautiful wood there! Especially for the neck. So whats on the board for your 4th acg then? :huh: Do you get loyalty points when buying your 2nd or 3rd bass out of interest :huh:[/quote]

No, no loyalty points but you do get a book of vouchers giving up to 30% off selected items at Woolworths. While stocks last... :)

Edited by Scoop

[quote name='7string' post='365884' date='Dec 29 2008, 11:32 PM']Definately going to be a stunning bass and the sound will match the looks.[/quote]

The MM and the piezo should sort that out. I'm really buzzing about the piezo pup tbh.

How's the 12string coming along, Mark?

The 12 has settled in very nicely, thanks :)

It sounds absolutely huge and isn't that bad to play. I tweaked the setup a bit because I'm fussy and that was an absolute pig of a job as tuning 12 strings up and down takes ages. I already have ideas of how I'm going to use th12 though. I just need some time to find my way around Cubase.

The ACG 9 string is due in early '09 and that's going to be fantastic. By the way, you must post pics of the Skelf with that amazing fingerboard.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

some progress...

The redwood top and back are now secure on the spanish cedar core and the body has been shaped and edges rounded and smoothed. It's beginning to look like a bass now and I'm really really pleased with the results.

I've got the piezo bridge on my ACG and was really surprised at just how good it is.

When it's used with a single magnetic pickup it leaves the other input free to take the piezo signal. Being able to shape the piezo signal gives another bucketload of tonal options.

• 8 months later...

An update: In June 2009 I suffered a fairly serious stroke and for a while I lost all use of my left side. Alan Cringean got to hear of this and he put the bass onto the back-burner, waiting to see if I still wanted it.

I've quite quickly regained the use of my left side with intensive physio and although I'm a long way off being able to play for the 90 to 120 minutes needed for a gig I AM able to manage about 20 minutes or so now and increasing my left side stamina all the time. There was no question that, in time and with good fortune, I'd return to full left-side mobility. Alan was thus given the go-ahead to continue the build.

I don't have photos to post right now - I'm using the PC at a friend's house - but the progress can be seen here...

[url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk/Gallery/170/"]http://www.acguitars.co.uk/Gallery/170/[/url]

Thanks and sorry there's been no update for a while.