Why become a member? ×

How good are you?

beerdragon

[quote name='lee4' post='364919' date='Dec 28 2008, 04:14 PM']Root,5.Root,5,ad nauseum....who needs the other notes?Jazz players?I need a map to go above the 12th fret![/quote]

I sometimes venture past the 12th fret, mainly to vary it up when playing 'Alright' and I play the same intro as the guitarist on 'Wasted'

[quote name='Jase' post='364906' date='Dec 28 2008, 03:56 PM']You're as good as your last gig, or as good as the musicians you work with.....I heard that somewhere....can't remember who said it though.[/quote]

I think some of that is true and in my case I'm playing with some really great people lately, yet for all I feel I have achieved both technically and musically I know how much more I still have to learn. I think I actually play better when I play with better musicians and the music tends to be better as well when I do. As I've gpt to he level I've wanted to be at technically for many years now, it's increasingly the case that I want to make better music and that anything I have accomplished on the bass harmonicaly or technically is then at the service of the music not the other way around.

I've also noticed that the more I can play, the happier I am to play less, and for all my solo bass tunes and vids I've posted on the web, I'm actually happiest as a bass player when I'm laying down a killing groove with a great drummer, that for me is bass nirvana right there. Taking a great solo once every six months is nice too, but they are far more elusive than you might imagine.... I'm still working on all of that and will do for ever more.

Mike

[quote name='beerdragon' post='364538' date='Dec 28 2008, 12:24 AM']I've been to a couple of Pubs tonight and watched some bands. there was some really good bass players in some not so good bands, either the guitarist/singer was'nt as good as they thought they were or the drummer was crap, but the bass players i saw were spot on. one band the guy had Warwick through trace 4x10 and a Fender cab and another was playing a Variax through an Ashdown rig, after, i felt inadequate. sometimes its better not to watch other peoples playing, :) in other words someone always has a better sound than you. and their playing is on the ball but during your own gig there's always little things to annoy you.[/quote]

I get quite downhearted when I see superior players (which is most of them). I really need to remind myself that I'm only really starting out and that if I want to get that good I need to do a shed load more practicing than I do :huh:

It's slightly difficult for me to gauge where I am at with my current band, don't get me wrong I love what we play but it's not really my style of bass playing. I am getting another band together and I have stuff recorded which is more about what I do. The stuff I play in Veils is pretty tricky as it is, for the most part, following what is pretty fast, technical riffing so it isn't easy stuff to play so I guess I am a reasonably good bassist, but not as good as I should be.......

......if someone can listen to my band and tell me how I might be able to do something a bit different with my bands music please tell me :)

[quote name='urb' post='364934' date='Dec 28 2008, 04:33 PM']I think some of that is true and in my case I'm playing with some really great people lately, yet for all I feel I have achieved both technically and musically I know how much more I still have to learn. I think I actually play better when I play with better musicians and the music tends to be better as well when I do. As I've gpt to he level I've wanted to be at technically for many years now, it's increasingly the case that I want to make better music and that anything I have accomplished on the bass harmonicaly or technically is then at the service of the music not the other way around.

Mike[/quote]

I feel the same about learning too, there is always more to learn about playing bass and working with other musicians.

I'm not in a band, not ready yet.

I'm still trying to fit 8th notes evenly into 4/4 but I do have a voracious appetite for knowledge, learning amd achievement so I know [i]way[/i] more than I can play at the moment. So, not all that good at the moment, but I will be

[quote name='Veils' post='364980' date='Dec 28 2008, 05:35 PM']It's slightly difficult for me to gauge where I am at with my current band, don't get me wrong I love what we play but it's not really my style of bass playing. I am getting another band together and I have stuff recorded which is more about what I do. The stuff I play in Veils is pretty tricky as it is, for the most part, following what is pretty fast, technical riffing so it isn't easy stuff to play so I guess I am a reasonably good bassist, but not as good as I should be.......

......if someone can listen to my band and tell me how I might be able to do something a bit different with my bands music please tell me :)[/quote]

You are good, you play how I want to, but I'm too slow. Do you use fingers or pick?

I'd like to think I'm pretty good. Been playing for about 9 years now ... I spent the first 2 or 3 pretending I was going to be the next jaco or wooten, so my chops are pretty good. Since then I've been working on just being a solid bassist in a band setting, which I feel I am. I just play pop-rock, but I usually get compliments after I play, so I'm pretty happy haha.

[quote name='Bassmonster' post='365081' date='Dec 28 2008, 07:41 PM']i consider myslef to be a fairly solid player, which is good enough for me, although i've been told on various occasions that i'm quite a busy bass player, don't know if thats a compliment or not[/quote]
Good to other bassists, bad to your guitarists.

I am seriously crap. sh*te. Merde. Scheisse.
I cannot slap, nor tap. I cannot play fast lines, plus my playing is seriously limited by my mediocre knowledge of musical theory.

Still, I do my job in my band, mind you, doing "our" stuff. My opinion is that, unless you are musically hopeless, if you have enough musical sense, and you can play on tempo and cleanly enough, and you understand what your limits are, then it isn't really much of an issue. Obviously, you may have limits in creating really nice stuff, or music that sounds fresh and interesting and not just something blatantly copied off someone else.

The most important thing is not to try to do something you aren't able to do. If you know you're not a very good bassist, then why bother with hard lines, or something that requires you to play at the most of your "competence" (uhhhh, horrible word, but couldn't think of any better one :) ), most probably you won't play them fluently and with enough groove and/or feeling.

Of course, being a sh*t bassist is a bit worse when you plan on playing in cover bands exclusively :huh:

Last night my new guitarist informed me he loved the bass lines on the demo i gave him. That grew my head a little, it was nice to hear. But I bet a seasoned pro and a large chunk of BC wouls think the where awful lines.
A few weeks back our first drummer was watching me play and said "You really enjoy playing, don't you?" - that was the best compliment i've had in my 14 years of playing. Shame he was a tool.

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='365294' date='Dec 29 2008, 08:36 AM']I've been told I'm very good and the last compliment I recieved was that I was 'sh*t hot on bass'. Although, having said this, I'm a woman, and therefore they're probably just trying to get in my pants.[/quote]

lol! :)

well think of it this way, if the person is fanciable...then you're onto a winner on both levels!!

andy

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='365294' date='Dec 29 2008, 08:36 AM']I've been told I'm very good and the last compliment I recieved was that I was 'sh*t hot on bass'. Although, having said this, I'm a woman, and therefore they're probably just trying to get in my pants.[/quote]

Damn, I knew the day would come when women could finally read men ........... how much do we have to pay you to keep it a secret?