Why become a member? ×

10 minutes ago, mario_buoninfante said:

I assume he won't be allowed to make basses for the foreseeable future :(

Nothing stopping him, but not under the Spector name.

However, he's always had a passion for fine acoustic instruments hence this is his new thing....

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cetera said:

Nothing stopping him, but not under the Spector name.

However, he's always had a passion for fine acoustic instruments hence this is his new thing....

Yap, makes sense.
I remember reading/watching an interview published around the time they released the Spector Timbre bass, and he was mentioning his love for acoustic instruments and the fact that he wanted to spend more time working on that.
But I didn't know he already got started with it.
Thanks for sharing :)

• Like 1

On 15/11/2022 at 10:49, mario_buoninfante said:

Yap, makes sense.
I remember reading/watching an interview published around the time they released the Spector Timbre bass, and he was mentioning his love for acoustic instruments and the fact that he wanted to spend more time working on that.
But I didn't know he already got started with it.
Thanks for sharing :)

Stuart is making fine acoustic guitars as @cetera said. 

His new creations go under the name of 'Esopus Guitars' and he already relesased one model this fall. 

For more info head to his site http://esopusguitars.com/index.html

While I'm not much of a guitar player and certainly no game for such handcrafted acoustics I'm happy the he is doing fine and does what he loves. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Clarky said:

In case anyone after one, Andy Baxter has a s/h Wimbish just arrived with maple board

https://www.andybaxterbass.com/products/2021-spector-euro-4-lx-doug-wimbish-bahama-blue-limited-edition

Cheers for the heads up!

A friend was looking for a maple, bahama blue Euro! Now sold ;)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Clarky said:

In case anyone after one, Andy Baxter has a s/h Wimbish just arrived with maple board

https://www.andybaxterbass.com/products/2021-spector-euro-4-lx-doug-wimbish-bahama-blue-limited-edition

Sold 

Ah, posts crossed (before I get any more grief).

Edited by Mykesbass

After being pointed in the right direction by Spector, I just tracked down online the little black countersunk Philips screws (3x6mm) for the rear plastic cavity cover. My Ian Hill now has a full set in place.

If any of you Spector owners needs some replacement screws I have loads left and am happy to send. Just drop me a PM with your name, postal address and how many you need

20221118_154121.jpg

Edited by Clarky

Just now, Clarky said:

Aftwr being pointed in the right direction by Spector, I just tracked down online the little black countersunk Philips screws (3x6mm) for the rear plastic cavity cover. My Ian Hill now has a full set in place.

If any of you Spector owners needs some replacement screws I have loads left and am happy to send. Just drop me a PM

20221118_154121.jpg

Ooh yes please!

My 2011 Ian Hill has brass inserts into which these fit. Here is the eBay ad for a close up picture (its the 3x6mm version).

I am fine about posting, got some spare stamps sitting around and obvs free of charge to you guys. Just PM me postal details and number needed.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324575632790?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=KBMkE1CdRR6&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=eqlPJw_SSty&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Posted tonight @cetera

Separately: Spector users, do flats work with EMG/TP? Specifically TI Jazz Flats ...

I know that Spector growl is probably best with rounds but my somewhat knackered left hand is much happier playing flats. If the answer is 'no', then fine. If its 'yes' though, that would be cool

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clarky said:

Posted tonight @cetera

Separately: Spector users, do flats work with EMG/TP? Specifically TI Jazz Flats ...

I know that Spector growl is probably best with rounds but my somewhat knackered left hand is much happier playing flats. If the answer is 'no', then fine. If its 'yes' though, that would be cool

I’ve got LaBella low tension flats on my Spectracore. The neck pickup is a passive EMG …sounds great,

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Clarky said:

Posted tonight @cetera

Cheers chap!

Yes, they work fine with any strings type. Tame the TP EQ and flavour to taste for less growl and smoother tones with your flats.

• Like 1

Sockets.

I took my Green spector Euro out on saturday, remembered how much I liked playing it (after a bit of a 'mid on full cut' issue), apart from the weight. The RST solves the weight issue by being one of the lightest basses ever but, I don't trust it fully as it cuts out occasionally from the jack socket.

I looked in the electronics cavity at the weekend, it is so cheap in there compared to the Euro - these basses retail at 2.5k, and the electronics aren't as good as the basic ibanezes! :(

• Sad 1

On 21/11/2022 at 12:25, Woodinblack said:

Sockets.

I took my Green spector Euro out on saturday, remembered how much I liked playing it (after a bit of a 'mid on full cut' issue), apart from the weight. The RST solves the weight issue by being one of the lightest basses ever but, I don't trust it fully as it cuts out occasionally from the jack socket.

I looked in the electronics cavity at the weekend, it is so cheap in there compared to the Euro - these basses retail at 2.5k, and the electronics aren't as good as the basic ibanezes! :(

Not good at those prices. I keep looking at the RST basses on BD's website. My Euro is ok weight wise but I'd love to try one of these and should my band ever get its act together and start gigging, I'd like something really lightweight. 

As for the input socket. My Euro needs a new one desperately. What ones do you recommend? There's loads on eBay but I don't know if they'll be any good or not. 

5 minutes ago, bigthumb said:

Not good at those prices. I keep looking at the RST basses on BD's website. My Euro is ok weight wise but I'd love to try one of these and should my band ever get its act together and start gigging, I'd like something really lightweight. 

At our recent bass bash the RST was pretty well the lightest thing there, it is really remarkably light (especialy if you then go to the euro, which is most certainly not lightweight!)

5 minutes ago, bigthumb said:

As for the input socket. My Euro needs a new one desperately. What ones do you recommend? There's loads on eBay but I don't know if they'll be any good or not. 

I would go for a quality make such as Switchraft (and it is an output socket, often known as a switchraft stereo barrel jack socket)

• Thanks 2