Why become a member? ×

And the Winner is.........................

Delberthot

I've just sold my GK head on Ebay so had to organise my new amp as I have a gig on 29th and there are too many non delivering days between now and then.

The prerequisites were that it had to be:

1 - Small enough to be able to fit into my cable bag
2 - Light enough to be able to attach it to the stand my cab sits on.
3 - At least as powerful as my GK 700RB II
4 - Have a tuning mute facility

I then began searching for all possiblities and narrowed it down to:

1 - Gallien Krueger MB2-500
2 - Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0
3 - Mark Bass LM II

I then had to make a decision on which one. After reading a lot of information about all 3 I came to the conclusion that they were all seriously sh*t hot amps.

I've had 2 GK heads now and I'm finding that my sound is changing so I ruled the GK head out.

I've tried a Markbass combo in a shop before and wasn't that impressed by it

So I've gone with the Genz Benz. I've already asked several questions and had them answered by Mr Genzler himself. Plus it has a 3 year warranty and if I happen to get called over to LA to record a new Chilis album due to Flea breaking something, I can switch the voltage to US on the back of the amp instead of having to open it up.

I'll email Darren in the morning to find out when I'll get it. My next gig is on the 29th so I'll report back here after then.

Really looking forward to getting it.

Edited by Delberthot

That's cool - I couldn't make my mind up between the LMII and shuttle 6.0 initially, but there was nowhere to try the genz out near me and I knew I already liked the LMII.

I've played through a few of the markbass combos and really haven't been that impressed either, especially when compared to a separate head/cab from them. In particular, the cmd102p, which I've used numerous times now, isn't even in the same league as my LMII + 102HF cab setup.

I'd still like to try a shuttle out of curiosity at some point ;D

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='360715' date='Dec 22 2008, 09:43 AM']I'm pretty happy with my LMII, it does a fine job but I'm very Shuttle curious - especially as I have a GB Neox 212. Anyone AB'd the two heads?[/quote]
I did at Bass Direct Al, there's not a lot between them but I would say that the Shuttle is slightly firmer in the mids than the LMII. Apart from that they sounded very similar to me.

I think that sets the gain level, depending on what is best for your mixing desk. I would speak to your sound man on the night as the requirements may differ depending on the desk he's using at a gig. The PRE/POST allows you to select whether to take the DI before or after your equaliser settings. For live work, normally its best to take it before (pre eq) otherwise any settings you've dialled on the amp for on-stage monitoring may differ to what works for the PA. The sound man won't have to add extra compensation on the mixing desk eq for your bass through the PA if there's any mis-match or overlap. The ground lift (GND/LIFT) is just for any situation where the DI is causing buzz. I'm not totally clear on why buzz should be present in a shielded DI but usually I have mine set to GND unless the sound man instructs me to do otherwise. :)

[quote name='alexclaber' post='360692' date='Dec 22 2008, 12:58 AM']I tried CK's one of these at the SE Bass Bash. It is a fantastic little head, I was sorely tempted to acquire one myself. Running into one of The Compacts it played SO loud as well.

Alex[/quote]

The Shuttle 6.0 + Compact is going to be my exact setup soon!

My soundman is our guitarist. It will be used in the wedding band. We were thinking about it a few years ago but there is very rarely enough room to run a snake to the back of the hall and find a space for anyone to mix the sound.

I normally run my amp post-eq as it sounds better but I'll see how the Shuttle sounds pre when I set up on Monday night.

Its mainly the mics that use the XLRs on the desk so I think I'll try it set at Mic first and then switch to see what gives me the best sound. I was forever overdriving the signal going into the desk with the GK but the Genz doesn't have a level control so that may be the deciding factor on the night - whatever option doesn't send the signal meters off the scale will be the right one.

I bought the shuttle 3-10t combo from BassDirect and purchased a hartke 15" cab from Lemmywinks (off the for sale section)
Put them together and the 10 and 15 work really well together - granted I have half the power of GB6 but I dont gig so no problems there!

I cant wait to try them in anger - just waiting for my mate to get us a free night in his dads studio :)

The head weighs nowt - I thought they has sent me an empty box when the delivery guy turned up (and that was with the cab lol)

[quote name='acidbass' post='362693' date='Dec 24 2008, 04:50 AM']I'm considering exactly the same setup! When are you planning on buying it?[/quote]

I already have the Shuttle, and I'm next in line for a Compact...Alex said he's sending it out the 1st week of January. Now I just have to find a band willing to play with a Yank bass player!

It doesn't look like I'm going to be able to get a hold of the saddle that comes with the shuttle combo so I'm going to have to rig up something myself to attach it to my cab stand.

How far do the screws go into the amp?

i don't want to get ones that are too long and end up poking something that i shouldn't

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='360715' date='Dec 22 2008, 09:43 AM']I'm pretty happy with my LMII, it does a fine job but I'm very Shuttle curious - especially as I have a GB Neox 212. Anyone AB'd the two heads?[/quote]
You can A/B with my Shuttle at the Bash, Al. I don't know if you'll find enough of a difference to switch though. Probably more useful to those looking at deciding between either candidate.

had my first gig with it last night.

Took a while to get the sound sorted, not that there are many controls.

I was very disappointed at first as I had it at the same level that i would have had the GK at but the limiter light kept coming on. I used to have the pad button pressed in on the GK as if it were an active bass but this one doesn't have it.

I'm assuming that it was only the limiter kicking in as there was no distortion and it only blinked as opposed to staying on. i thought this was strange as this amp is rated at 600w and the GK was 480w so I thought I'd be able to run it at the same volume or maybe a bit higher.

After another few songs, I dropped the height of the pickup, increased the preamp volume and now it only does it if I attack the bass really hard.

The preamp o/d light comes on with every note I play after I did this indicating that the valve is overdriving and it sounds fantastic. Not sure if that reduces the life span of the valve or not or whether it would be worth changing it for another one as it doesn't affect the warranty doing this.

I'm not entirely sure that it will be loud enough for my pub band with no PA support so may look into getting another efficient cab like my Schroeder 1212L but with more drivers to push more air.

Overall, i love the sound. I have it running post EQ into the desk and it sounds amazing through the PA. Very clear

[quote name='Delberthot' post='366354' date='Dec 30 2008, 04:13 PM']I'm not entirely sure that it will be loud enough for my pub band with no PA support so may look into getting another efficient cab like my Schroeder 1212L but with more drivers to push more air.[/quote]

Do you use the stand when you don't go through the PA? I have the same stand (and a very similar rig) and i only use the stand when i play much bigger gigs when the amp is purely for backline. I lost volume and tone as soon as i lifted the Schroeder off the floor. However, standing it on it's side i've played gigs without going through the PA and it's been plenty loud enough.
That's with the world's loudest drummer too!

I dont think you will really notice 600w being louder than 480w to be honest. Obviously lighting the LED on the tube is a matter of taste and thats the great part about having a pre and post tube vol control so you can get it right on the cusp if you want to drive the tube with your playing. I have only had the limit light come on at one gig when I was only running one cab.

Not sure what cabs you are using but it sounds great with 2 Genz Benz NeoX112T's.