Why become a member? ×

Jackson Basses - no longer just good for metal?

Al Krow

🤦🏾‍♂️ Dadjokesrus

Wasn't that Bill Smith or Morgan Freeman? Hollywood only use 1 or 2 black actors as well as trying to get away without paying female actors appropriate rates.

Black Panther really screwed that up for them!

Edited by Cuzzie

11 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

🤦🏾‍♂️ Dadjokesrus

At least I didn’t say tired.com or something, that’s proper other level dad joke shite.

fake Ray...just scratching another itch captain.

seamlessly back on topic. These Jackson’s got close to an itch, but I won’t be scratching 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

...seamlessly back on topic. These Jacksons got close to an itch, but I won’t be scratching 

Yeah ditto. 'Fraid I've been properly Spector-ed - completely left field - while I wasn't looking!

I guess that means the only Jackson 5er I'll be involved with for now is this one...

I'd have that white 5er in a heartbeat. You know what i like the most? The fact that the P pickup is the same size on both parts of the cover. Does my OCD no good at all when I see Fender 5 string P's with the upper part of the cover bigger than the lower part...

And thank god that pointy headstock has gone too.

:D

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Grassie said:

I'd have that white 5er in a heartbeat. You know what i like the most? The fact that the P pickup is the same size on both parts of the cover. Does my OCD no good at all when I see Fender 5 string P's with the upper part of the cover bigger than the lower part...

And thank god that pointy headstock has gone too.

:D

Good man. It's actually not an outrageous price they're asking and seems to be a lot of bass for the money. Certainly not compared to some of the Spectors I'm currently having my head turned by! You tempted / thinking of getting / had previous good experience of Jacksons?

With you on the pointy headstock. The last bass of mine to have one of those was actually my first ever bass and obviously I was excused as I didn't know any better and also 'cos it had actually been bought by Mrs Krow 15 years before when she was having a little dabble on bass and I was still pretending to be a six string guitarist... 😁

Aria Pro (Sara's).JPG

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

The only experience I’ve had with Jackson’s is my old guitarist had one, and he always had the bass on his amp turned up too high... 😁

Went into my local Crack Converters a few weeks ago to get some euros (their exchange rate has always been more favourable than anywhere else) and there is a Kelly Bird bass hanging on the wall for £220. This is the same bass that was there last time I went in. Which was 2 years ago.😳

If I had the funds I would pull the trigger on one of those 5ers, no hesitation. 😊

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Saw these in PMT on Sunday.

My god they look disappointingly cheap, they really aren’t that pretty.

Sad really as my old c5p was a work of art.

I wasn’t even inclined to have a go, or pick it up.

Goes to show it was the pointy headstock all along making it look the beans

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Saw these in PMT on Sunday.

My god they look disappointingly cheap, they really aren’t that pretty.

Sad really as my old c5p was a work of art.

I wasn’t even inclined to have a go, or pick it up.

Ah that's a shame to hear. Out of interest what colour / finish were the ones in stock and what was it that about them that made them look so trashy?  Fender clearly have made them look a lot better in their sales blurb! 

But good to know that PMT have them in, I'm still interested to find out a bit more about their weight and how they sound as a PJ and if they stack up against our beloved Yammy BBs. 

Maybe a glimmer of hope for them yet though, after all one man's trashy can be  another man's mojo relic! 

Edited by Al Krow

If they could be 10lb then I'm out completely anyway.

8.5 lb is my absolute max, and even then it has to be perfectly balanced for that.

Usually I want under 8 lb.

I'll keep saving for a new Stingray 5. While they say they are about 9lb but vary a bit, some on TB have them under 8.5lb.

Just have to be patient when I've got the money together.

Jackson have just launched their X Series Spectra Bass SBX range. Pic of the 5'er below. 

This ticks a LOT of boxes for me:

image.thumb.png.abb6bc0a34cedae2c3676812841af3db.png

• Dual passive medium-output humbucking pickups
  • Two-way toggle switch for pickup coil splitting
  • 3-band active EQ, blend control and volume control with push/pull selector for passive mode 
  • 35”scale 
  • HiMass™ hardtail bridge 
  • Neck through
  • Graphite-reinforcement rods flanking the truss rod provide even more neck stability
  • Expecting it to be around £600 to £650 in the UK.

Seems to me that they are going toe to toe with the Yamaha TRBX range and throwing a few additional goodies into the pot. I've been very tempted to get a Yammy TRBX 605, but this looks like it could give the Yammy a very good run for the money.

• 11 months later...
9 minutes ago, Jack said:

Did anyone ever get one of the Dave Ellefson basses? The only real review I can find is a passing comment on the American site about it being too neck-divey.

Still waiting on Al Krow to buy one, I’m sending him some sandpaper in the post to sort the neck 😆

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jack said:

Did anyone ever get one of the Dave Ellefson basses? The only real review I can find is a passing comment on the American site about it being too neck-divey.

Still on a wish list-would only really want the stupidly expensive top line anniversary one tho

1 hour ago, Jack said:

I am tempted by their reverse PJ 5er 35" scale which is currently on sale at GAK for a tidy discount. Trouble is I know just how good my Yammy BB 1025 is and the fact it's seen off 4 other PJ 5ers over the past 2 years... 

Certainly won't be any worse than a Warwick Thumb I've got my eye on for neck dive!