Why become a member? ×

Jackson Basses - no longer just good for metal?

Al Krow

2 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274650478383

tell you what - this is tempting, haven’t played the active one for years. Love that burst though.

I think it’s the best 5 string neck I ever owned.

So they seem to produce the best and worst of necks then?

I wonder if you were maybe subconsciously marking down the new Dave Ellefson because it fell short of the high expectations from your previous Jackson 5?

6 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

So they seem to produce the best and worst of necks then?

I wonder if you were maybe subconsciously marking down the new Dave Ellefson because it fell short of the high expectations from your previous Jackson 5?

No. The neck felt like a gcse woodworking project (probably a low c if the coursework was good)

nothing to do with the other bass.

I do feel like you should find one of these Ellefson basses for yourself and form your own opinion as you’re determined mine is wrong 😂😉

5 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

No. The neck felt like a gcse woodworking project (probably a low c if the coursework was good)

nothing to do with the other bass.

I do feel like you should find one of these Ellefson basses for yourself and form your own opinion as you’re determined vaguely hoping (but secretly happy 'cos it's going save you getting yet another bass you don't need and will no doubt move on) mine is wrong 😂😉

Fixed.

But yes, you're right I should go see if I can get to a store and try one out. Or maybe buy online and try out on a "try and return" basis, but I'm generally loathe to do that as I know returns are cr*ap for retailers' margins.

4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Fixed.

But yes, you're right I should go see if I can get to a store and try one out. Or maybe buy online and try out on a "try and return" basis, but I'm generally loathe to do that as I know returns are cr*ap for retailers' margins.

It’s all about that first impression and the neck (and Pickguard finishing) as well as the “in person” appearance really didn’t look like a £700 or even £500 bass...

It looked worse than the own brand east coast (stagg with a different badge) PMT basses - and didn’t feel as good.