Why become a member? ×

Microtubes X Ultra

Cuzzie

Darkglass pedals have been getting more expensive over time,  they were tipping into £300 territory a couple of years ago as I recall?

They make a fantastic product but I couldn't own anything by them now as the latest game changing revision seems to only ever be 6 months away.

EDIT:
I say this in the full knowledge that my needs are different to the solutions the DG provide and that should not be considered to be to DG's detriment at all.

Edited by Dapper Bandit

I really like their products.

But the regular X7 is £289.

Yes there are some extra R&D costs - but not £100 per unit to make the Ultra. The extra parts are probably £5 worth. The casings / layouts are the same as the AO Ultra.

I think now they have set the price for their "entry" level products, the mid point and the Ultra and they are sticking with them. Just like Apple when the difference in prices between specs seems percentage based rather than margin based.

I like Darkglass products (I have three pedals, two of which I actually use), however I am a bit tired of the saminess of in which their product line launches and 'innovations' are staggered with almost military levels of precision:

- Launch product A; then a few months later;

- launch 'compact' version of product A; then wait a few months more; 

- launch 'ultra' version of product. 

I know why the releases of the tiered products are staggered as it does make business sense. I just find the whole process a bit like the constant launch of 'game changing' smart phones in which some technology and features seem to be intentionally held back for a later product launch. That in addition to the constant 'reviews' of the pedals by Darkglass fanboi's/endorsers just leaves me a bit cold towards the company as a whole. I really can't fault the products themselves though. 

Edit:  the Duality is definitely my favourite pedal though. 

Edited by thodrik
  • Like 2

Now would be a fantastic time to dive into DG if you were looking to go ampless.  The features of the X Ultra are super-tippity-top, certainly if you're using a lower tuning than standard.  If I were in a modern metal band that played a lot of festivals / venues with proper PA support then this would potentially be my first port of call.

8 minutes ago, Dapper Bandit said:

I'm sorry but you're entirely wrong there.

Because that would mean doing something more with the Duality which certainly appears to be their least popular product.

I had to get something to rhyme with T or it would just be LMNOP - unless that’s a new pedal?

7 minutes ago, Dapper Bandit said:

Now would be a fantastic time to dive into DG if you were looking to go ampless.  The features of the X Ultra are super-tippity-top, certainly if you're using a lower tuning than standard.  If I were in a modern metal band that played a lot of festivals / venues with proper PA support then this would potentially be my first port of call.

Mebbe - but by his own admissions(Doug) the Helix does a damn good job on the B7k model, you can do cross over, I am sure Fractal will come good etc.

At that money helix or others may be a better shout....

Edited by Cuzzie
  • Like 1

Well, yeah.  I've got a Helix and it certainly covers my needs and the updates are free, not an extra investment of £300+ a pop.  The flip side is that while the Helix can cop the B7K plus more, a DG pedal would fit in your hardcase.  I suppose I'm basically saying "If I were Alex Webster then I can see the use of this pedal" but the vast majority of us are not.

There is a market for these pedals, even if it appears to be a very small one for the professional metal bassist.  The branding they have done is nothing short of excellent though, the earlier comparison to Apple really is spot on.

Not a DG hater, used their stuff, not quite for me.

@Tech21NYC DP3X - half the price, and a tuner, can be just as evil, has a crossover distortion, yes on the face of it less tweakable, but controls still very useable, although there may be slightly less mid presence.

Tiny foot print

Edited by Cuzzie

<insert my standard defence of Darkglass prices here>

I'm not sure this offers enough over my current X7 - AOU setup to consider upgrading this time.  The X7 is a HUGE upgrade on the X, but this not so much if you already have an Ultra pedal in the series.  The only feature that makes me think about it is the fact the compressor on the pedal can be configured to work as a normal compressor when the distortion is disengaged, potentially replacing a separate compressor pedal.  I'd want to see what control you have in the suite though before considering that.

The X circuit, when used right, is the best distortion Darkglass have made by far in my opinion, so this naturally will be their best pedal for many.  It sounds absolutely huge.

• Like 1

I guess the main benefits are the cab sim, aux in, headphone out. All of which, you might find not very useful if you happen to want to run any effects after it. That could be remedied with an effects loop, shame they didn't include one! Foot-switchable distortion never made sense to me on any of the amps or ultras, since you will generally want different EQ settings with and without.

The X7 doesn't have a cab sim, but it does have a mild LPF on the DI output, much like the Tech21 DP3X, which may be 'good enough' to not warrant the upgrade.

I'd love to get my hands on one though, the B7K was the best thing for me in my last band until the DP3X showed up, and this is the closest thing to a hybrid! But the HX Stomp with its built in crossovers and compressors, B7K-a-like, guitar amps (and a BDDI on the way) looks like it'll be able to cop all of those sounds if you're up to the task of setting it up right!

• Like 1