Why become a member? ×

Best (all) valve amp ?!?

sifi2112

Just wondering if any of you could give your opinions / views / experience on valve amps ?

Really interested in the new Reeves Custom 225 & the Hiwatt Custom models ....

[url="http://www.reevesamps.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=27&Itemid=50"]http://www.reevesamps.com/index.php?option...7&Itemid=50[/url]

any advice welcome

thanks

Si

I tried one of the new line Hiwatt 200w Bass heads a few months ago in a music shop near me - absolutely superb tone through the matching cab, but I'd imagine that would be forgotten about after lugging the thing to and from gigs! If I had a roadie, I'd probably still be saving to buy it as we speak!

And I wasn't aware that Dave Reeves was producing a new Bass head until now, it looks awesome!

[quote name='acidbass' post='353055' date='Dec 12 2008, 07:52 PM']And I wasn't aware that Dave Reeves was producing a new Bass head until now....[/quote]

Difficult considering he died in 1981.

A friend of mine uses a Harry Joyce Custom 100-watt head. Engineering perfection.

[quote name='obbm' post='353359' date='Dec 13 2008, 09:07 AM']A friend of mine uses a Harry Joyce Custom 100-watt head. Engineering perfection.[/quote]
This was a guitar amp?

I've been approaching a couple of amp makers to see if they could replicate the preamp from my Burman and expand the power amp section to take the power up to 400w. I tried my fave Burman head again this week and with the Celinders and Stingray I fell in love with it all over again. :wub: It leaves the Trace V8 dead in the water for sweetness and midrange warmth. The Trace sounds more raw and boomy by comparison, but as we all know the response of amps and cabs changes with volume.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='353369' date='Dec 13 2008, 09:37 AM']This was a guitar amp?

I've been approaching a couple of amp makers to see if they could replicate the preamp from my Burman and expand the power amp section to take the power up to 400w. I tried my fave Burman head again this week and with the Celinders and Stingray I fell in love with it all over again. :wub: It leaves the Trace V8 dead in the water for sweetness and midrange warmth. The Trace sounds more raw and boomy by comparison, but as we all know the response of amps and cabs changes with volume.[/quote]

Do you have a copy of the Burman 4000 pre-amp schematic?

[quote name='obbm' post='353504' date='Dec 13 2008, 12:50 PM']Do you have a copy of the Burman 4000 pre-amp schematic?[/quote]
No, unfortunately I only have one for the Pro501 guitar preamp. If anyone is likely to have put one togther it will be Traceynorton on the Plexi forum. I've sent him pictures of my Pro4000 in the nude already but he's in California so there's little hope of him actually getting his hands on one for the forseeable. I could take mine to Barry at Torres and pay him to work one out I guess. Barry reckons I'm looking at up to £2k for a custom one off 400w rack mountable head based on the Burman though.

The thing is though that both my Burman Pro4000's sound different. The later model has more gain but my amp tech in Chiswick says he can't see any differences between the values of the various components being used.

I may well just put it on the back shelf unless I discover an amp that has been severely battered during its life and can be cannibalised

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='353562' date='Dec 13 2008, 02:03 PM']No, unfortunately I only have one for the Pro501 guitar preamp. If anyone is likely to have put one togther it will be Traceynorton on the Plexi forum. I've sent him pictures of my Pro4000 in the nude already but he's in California so there's little hope of him actually getting his hands on one for the forseeable. I could take mine to Barry at Torres and pay him to work one out I guess. Barry reckons I'm looking at up to £2k for a custom one off 400w rack mountable head based on the Burman though.[/quote]

It'd be worth it. Have you talked to Dave Hall about it?

As far as I know, Burman never produced schematics for any of his amps.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='353562' date='Dec 13 2008, 02:03 PM']No, unfortunately I only have one for the Pro501 guitar preamp. If anyone is likely to have put one togther it will be Traceynorton on the Plexi forum. I've sent him pictures of my Pro4000 in the nude already but he's in California so there's little hope of him actually getting his hands on one for the forseeable. I could take mine to Barry at Torres and pay him to work one out I guess. Barry reckons I'm looking at up to £2k for a custom one off 400w rack mountable head based on the Burman though.

The thing is though that both my Burman Pro4000's sound different. The later model has more gain but my amp tech in Chiswick says he can't see any differences between the values of the various components being used.

I may well just put it on the back shelf unless I discover an amp that has been severely battered during its life and can be cannibalised[/quote]

If you are prepared to drop it down to me I'd be quite happy to trace it out and draw it up. It might make a good pre-amp for my SC200.

[quote name='obbm' post='353595' date='Dec 13 2008, 02:43 PM']If you are prepared to drop it down to me I'd be quite happy to trace it out and draw it up. It might make a good pre-amp for my SC200.[/quote]
Yeah I can drop one down to you some time. It would need to be fairly soonish as I'm moving out of London on the 23rd. In fact, tomorrow would probably be best?

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='353599' date='Dec 13 2008, 02:45 PM']Yeah I can drop one down to you some time. It would need to be fairly soonish as I'm moving out of London on the 23rd. In fact, tomorrow would probably be best?[/quote]

pm sent.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Come to Scotland and try one of my 200s.
Also have Sound City 200s.

If you get the Burman pre thing figured, I have a couple of the 100w power paks.
Stereo out thumpness....?

You can get my Fender Rumble stack for below the price of a new Hiwatt 200...

Hi power valve...

...giggle....

;)