Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

COVERS AND CASES ETC FOR NEW EP

hrl_damo

Hey everyone,

My band are looking to record an EP in January. It will probably be a 4 track CD which we hope to sell for a very very small fee at gigs. :)

Basically I am looking into covers for EP, for example I dont know whetehr to go for Jewel case with CD inlay etc or just a standard card sleeve thing with some sort of art work on it.

Want it to look good but not too dear as we would rather spend the money on getting the recording top notch first.

Any ideas for printing places? Or which you think is the cheapest and best way to get some results...

Any ideas appreciated.

By the way my bands myspace is www.myspace.com/hoperemainslost if you fancy a listen :huh:)

Cheerz
Damien

[quote name='hrl_damo' post='351256' date='Dec 10 2008, 09:32 PM']Hey everyone,

My band are looking to record an EP in January. It will probably be a 4 track CD which we hope to sell for a very very small fee at gigs. :)

Basically I am looking into covers for EP, for example I dont know whetehr to go for Jewel case with CD inlay etc or just a standard card sleeve thing with some sort of art work on it.

Want it to look good but not too dear as we would rather spend the money on getting the recording top notch first.

Any ideas for printing places? Or which you think is the cheapest and best way to get some results...

Any ideas appreciated.

By the way my bands myspace is www.myspace.com/hoperemainslost if you fancy a listen :huh:)

Cheerz
Damien[/quote]

We got charged £145 for 100 cd's with Jewell cases and artwork not sure if that is cheap?

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='352144' date='Dec 11 2008, 09:01 PM']CDsourcing charged us £500 for 500 copies - pressed CDs with one colour silk screen print on a white base with jewel cases & full colour front & back with b/w print inside the foldout 'booklet'. Excellent quality and very fast problem-free turnaround.[/quote]
Torch will do 1000 cd's for £704.37 (inc vat & delivery). 4 page colour booklet and CD too!

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='352144' date='Dec 11 2008, 09:01 PM']CDsourcing charged us £500 for 500 copies - pressed CDs with one colour silk screen print on a white base with jewel cases & full colour front & back with b/w print inside the foldout 'booklet'. Excellent quality and very fast problem-free turnaround.[/quote]
They'll do 1000 with printed & pressed CDs, full colour 4 page booklet for £649.75 inc vat & del

• 12 years later...

I've been talking this week to Sean at Torch (yes, he's still in business!) and only discovered this topic afterwards, courtesy of Silvia Holmes, Sherlock's prettier younger sister.

http://www.torchmusic.co.uk/

He's sending us a sample (of our own CD) just now and if we're happy then we'll be placing an order.

• Like 3

On 10/12/2008 at 13:32, hrl_damo said:

Hey everyone,

Any ideas appreciated.

Cheerz
Damien

4 track demo...cardboard sleeve. But, however you decide, only make a few, and sell download code cards instead. Nobody listen to cds. Besides my car, I don't even have a way to play them anymore. And, I don't know anyone who's not in the same situation.

Oh, and give up on MySpace. Start a Bandcamp. Although, band camp is also starting to fizz out. But luckily, there are a couple more sites just like it.

Edited by JeezyMcNuggles

4 hours ago, JeezyMcNuggles said:

4 track demo...cardboard sleeve. But, however you decide, only make a few, and sell download code cards instead. Nobody listen to cds.

All fair comment BUT the download route requires someone to operate a bank account with linked PayPal account. I've done this for my own stuff for many years and I don't want to try to run a parallel universe on behalf of a guy who's a great musician but utterly illiterate when it comes to IT. Seriously, he's never owned a PC and when I tried to give him one he turned it down!

We've talked it through and decided to wait and see if we get people buying the CDs and then saying "But where's my download?" before we put too much effort into that side of things. This is just a 'toe in the water' to see whether there's any actual demand for CDs at our gigs. In the bottom of my wardrobe I still have a box of 50 vinyl albums (I managed to give away half a dozen to friends and family) that I played on a few years back. 9_9

Incidentally, as at today 100 CDs with cardboard sleeves would cost £174 whereas 100 CDs in PVC wallets would cost £114. No brainer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Edited: found THIS about the band

If nothing, this demonstrates you can't shake off your internet past.  I suspect that in 100 years time (if we're not all dead from something else), there'll be an old clunky server still squirting out ones and zeros containing data from now.

• Like 1