Why become a member? ×

Bands baned from Russia 1985

dmccombe7

13 minutes ago, keeponehandloose said:

I see Genghis Khan is banned, I think they got that one right.

before the fall of communism, a mate of mine, a then recent history graduate, wanted to visit Mongolia, which was Soviet controlled.  He goes to the embassy to apply for a visa, and is shown through a hallway lined with busts of heroes of the Soviet Republic, into a grey room with extremely utilitarian furniture, and a very senior member of the staff asked him what the purpose of his visit was, explaining that they don't get many people wanting to go to their country.  To which he replies "I've been studying eastern history from the middle ages and I'm really interested in Genghis Khan"

The guy's eyes light up, he smiles, opens the door to check whether anybody is listening outside, and produces a load of information from a secret cabinet.  It turns out that  the Soviets were not fans of Genghis Khan because everybody in Mongolia loved him and he was seen as an anti-Soviet cult of personality.  So in approving his visa the official made it very clear that he frowned upon people visiting his country for that reason, and that my mate should definitely not go to this list of towns in order to see the monuments and historic battlefields, and that the details of Genghis' achievements on the photocopied handout were not things to be proud of or to boast about

• Like 12
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Village People ......violence :laugh1:

Handbags at dawn you mean 

That red indian's* head dress could have someone's eye out!  smiley  👁️   smiley

*(I know, I know - American Indian / Native American / First Nation Peoples...)

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Teebs said:

That red indian's* head dress could have someone's eye out!  smiley  👁️   smiley

Where are your PC manners. Red Indians indeed. tsk tsk tsk. xD

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Ramones was the one i liked .........PUNK 

The only American band I've ever felt were 'punk' were the MC5 and New York Dolls, well possibly the Stooges as well...

Not that I have anything against the Ramones, but they did a ballad with a string quartet on it, for goodness sake!

<ducks>

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Teebs said:

What do you get if you cross Tolkien with Crazy Horse?

A well-read Indian.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

The only American band I've ever felt were 'punk' were the MC5 and New York Dolls, well possibly the Stooges as well...

Not that I have anything against the Ramones, but they did a ballad with a string quartet on it, for goodness sake!

<ducks>

Refined Punk ??? xD

Maybe it was the trancendance of Punk ??? :laugh1:

Afraid i only really know the more famous punk songs that were in the charts at the time. Was never really a follower of punk but i enjoyed a lot of it.

The long hair down to my waist kind of flew in the face of punk. I was seen as "the enemy" :laugh1:

Dave

One assumes that 'Stodges' is a typo for 'Stooges'. Surprised they didn't have Iggy Poop on that list.

We shouldn't laugh at the Russians, though. In 1978 the BBC refused to play Down In The Tube Station At Midnight because it was 'Disturbing'.

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1