Left leaderboard
BaggyMan

Whatever happened to??

Having been a rather enthusiastic proponent of the art of G.A.S (something like 200 guitars in 30 something years..) I have sometimes wondered why some models of bass just fade away or worse replaced by something uglier/cheaper/nastier.  

Main transgressor in my book is Yamaha.  The BB series soldiers on but in my eyes at least, the 424x, 1024x, 20214x (and the five stringers) were blooming lovely, designed down to the nicest detail.  The replacements?  meh.  And more strangely the Attitude bass range.  The Billy Sheehan is the only one left but with a huge price tag. I am sure a modern version of the attitude would sell.  

Any models you feel makers have consigned to history should get a second chance??

Yamahas? AndyTravis owns them all..😂😂

• Haha 1

The Fender Musicmaster - it was my first ever bass and I desperately want it back, or another like it. Why did they stop making them?

I have a Fleabass that I wished they made higher end models of. 

I get why the company shut down but it's got a real unique sound that with better pickups and better woods/construction would've been a killer intermediate bass.

I'd love to see the Gibson EB-2 or Epiphone Rivoli back in production.

I've had a couple of stabs at buying one second-hand but had bad luck. They are a niche interest for good reason, but I love 'em all the same.

The Ibanez SR range are decent factory produced instruments... but their 80's predecessors (musician etc) were much nicer imo.

The headstock was much nicer too.

• Like 1

I often get misty over my old Westone Thunder 1-A. Or maybe I just miss being an 80's teenager 🤔?

2 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

I often get misty over my old Westone Thunder 1-A. Or maybe I just miss being an 80's teenager 🤔?

This...

Not sure if they still make them but the Kramer DMZ 3000 

I remember Neil Murray had one with double P style pick ups that i believe he used in stereo mode or bi-amped in some way. For me that was his best tone. Also saw Trevor Bolder using one with Uriah Heep and it sounded fantastic. Definitely on my wanted list

Image result for kramer dmz 3000 bass IMAGES

6 hours ago, BaggyMan said:

Oh yeah and another the peavey b quad 4 and 5...

Same deal as happened with the Jeff Berlin Palaedium. The design belongs to the Player not Peavey.

Jeff went to Cort and Brian moved on to Carvin and Dean.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Not sure if they still make them but the Kramer DMZ 3000 

I think all the interesting Kramer bass stuff got killed off after the company went bankrupt and Gibson bought the brand some time in the 90s.

I'm not sure if Gibson still own it, but these days the only new Kramer branded instruments I've seen seem to be entry level to mid range super strat type guitars.

Edited by Cato
  • Thanks 1