Why become a member? ×

Right or Left?

SH73

4 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

You can buy them left handed, built as left handed not modified, violin cello and double bass all available to buy online today. 

us cack handers are taking over the world, maybe.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1563339/Number-of-left-handers-rises-sharply.html

Sorry to seem a bit tetchy, but haven't I already shown that the 'no such thing as a left handed wotsit' argument isn't correct? Are folk planning to keep coming up with 'no such thing as...' arguments until one of them actually turns out to be correct?

Not aimed at anybody in particular, but is it asking too much that people read back in the thread a bit? Hell, you don't even need to read it 'cos I've posted pictures and videos! Oooohh!!! :angry2:

[/rant]

Thanks for listening. As you were. :scratch_one-s_head:

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

Bear with me banging on about religion again, but one of the reasons our numbers are definitely increasing is that now, the fact that we are no longer shunned as the spawn of the Devil or some such rubbish is finally allowing us to reproduce 'normally' and pass on our lefty genes. (Says the childless woman who's an only child herself. 9_9  )

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, leftybassman392 said:

Are folk planning to keep coming up with 'no such thing as...' arguments until one of them actually turns out to be correct?

No such thing as a left-handed 4-manual 65 stop pipe organ.
No such thing as a left-handed triangle.
No such thing as a left-handed crash cymbal.
Glad to be of service. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

Huh? I see a regular brass instrument mouthpiece, which in my world is defining.
Or are you saying it's a brass instrument that still isn't family? In case, I'm with you.

If the mouthpiece defined what family an instrument was in, then it would be brass. But - at least in an orchestra - tradition defines it as not part of the brass family, mainly because of its sound and the type of parts it gets to play. Its a bit of a trick question. And - the mouthpiece/embrouchure is only vaguely similar to brass instruments. And....a saxophone is made of brass, but not in the brass family; of course its a woodwind instrument. But then so is a flute, and they are made of metal and don't have anything resembling wood on them (unlike a saxophone which has a reed)....so its all muddled up.

But they're definitely left-handed compared to trumpet/trombone/tuba/other brass family.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

No such thing as a left-handed 4-manual 65 stop pipe organ.
No such thing as a left-handed triangle.
No such thing as a left-handed crash cymbal.
Glad to be of service. 😉

Technically a triangle is ambidextrous. So is a crash cymbal. Lefthandedness comes as part of the deal.

As to the organ, congratulations. For now.

So one out of three. Could be worse I suppose.

:on_the_quiet:

Edited by leftybassman392
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Bear with me banging on about religion again, but one of the reasons our numbers are definitely increasing is that now, the fact that we are no longer shunned as the spawn of the Devil or some such rubbish is finally allowing us to reproduce 'normally' and pass on our lefty genes. (Says the childless woman who's an only child herself. 9_9  )

funny thing genetics, I'm an only child too, no one in the family has any recollection of anyone else being left handed before me, if it's true maybe we are on the march (of course it's possible there were but they'd been but been forced to use their right hand), but one of my two daughters is a lefty and one of my grandsons too

• Like 1

I'm a lefty. I originally started with a right handed guitar, and found it very slow to get anywhere. I got a left handed guitar after a while, and it felt much more comfortable, and I learnt a lot quicker. I do almost everything left handed, except using a mouse, and I think I use a knife and fork the right handed way. My brother writes left handed, but does a lot of stuff (including playing guitar/bass) right handed. Unfortunately I don't seem to have got the creative aspect of being left handed, despite how dominant my left hand is. I can play a right handed bass upside down pretty well though (well, not a lot worse than I can play a left handed bass, which isn't much above average). It's a bit of a 'party trick'.

Edited by still-young

On 23/02/2019 at 14:21, fleabag said:

I've tried playing the wrong way round, and the feel and touch is non existant.  They might as well be someone else's arms.

Try driving your car and braking with the other foot from one you normally use.

On a stranger note, my pal plays right hand basses turned round for a left handed player, but leaves the strings as they are, so E is at the bottom.

A few years back i injured my right hand badly and had to wear it in a sling for a couple of weeks. One thing I never mastered in that time was wiping my behind with my non-dominant hand. That was an ordeal....

3 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

A few years back i injured my right hand badly and had to wear it in a sling for a couple of weeks. One thing I never mastered in that time was wiping my behind with my non-dominant hand. That was an ordeal....

On the bright side, it definitely means you're not cackhanded. 👍

• Haha 4

My housemate's eighteen month old identical twin grandsons appear to be developing with opposite handedness - one is using his left hand predominately the other, his right.  It will be interesting to see how they get on when they start writing.

When I started playing I found I had to think about finger placement a lot for my fretting (left) hand.  At a certain point that became unnecessary as my left fingers became quite nimble.  I believe most people have the capacity to improve their weaker hand given the motivation.  I find using PC keyboards helps a lot.  It is a long time since I was a two finger typist.  Over the years I have learned to use all fingers and both thumbs so my hands have to travel less over the keyboard.