Why become a member? ×

Any acoustic guitar players here?

Barking Spiders

Of late I've been playing more on my Martin Dreadnought more than anything else and have been caning albums by the likes of Adrian Legg, Tommy Emmanuel, Martin Simpson, Peter Huttlinger and several great bluegrass flatpicker types. If you're a keen player who floats your boat? Just to wet your whistle here are a couple of clips, first the great Tommy Emmanuel, a must see live performer and then the late also great Pete Huttlinger.

Edited by Barking Spiders

I cut my teeth as a musician on the acoustic guitar and still listen to many bluegrass/acoustic players when the time is right.

here's one of my all time favs... and i used to be able to play this many years ago. maybe ill give it a try again :)

• Like 1

Long time acoustic guitar player here.

I love Tommy Emmanuel’s playing, and couldn’t get enough of it for a while.

I was fortunate enough to spend time with him, when Martin Taylor had his International Guitar Festival in Kirkmichael, Ayrshire.

Tommy was BnB’ed annually with my SIL for the festival. I had almost quit playing, but he was so kind and generous with me, showing me stuff. We would sit around the kitchen table and he just downloaded everything for me. I wish I could remember half of it. Got me going again, I can tell you. What a blast to be shown how to do the Chet Atkins boom-chick thing!

Happy days, and seminal for a guitar player! 

Yep - another acoustic guitarist here. (I dabble with electric, but my voice is definitely on acoustic).

I really like the late, great John Martyn of course - his playing on albums like Bless The Weather and Solid Air is exceptional.

There's a young Scottish chap called Kris Drever who has done some solo albums and also plays with a band called Lau - great fingerpicking style and one of the best live guitar sounds i've every heard.

Also from Scotland, singer songwriter Karine Polwart has a great command of alternate tunings and fingerpicking - check out the albums Scribbled in Chalk and This Earthly Spell.

Long time acoustic player.

I'm a little out of touch with the current generation so my list is perhaps a little backward-looking, but people I'd recommend would include Martin Simpson, Richard Thompson and John Martyn. Plenty of others out there of course, but these three would be near the top of any list I were to come out with. Adrian Legge is a fantastically good player too, but never quite floated my boat for some reason. Not quite sure why. I have a couple of his albums but never listen to them these days. Perhaps I should... :/

John Martyn

Martin Simpson

Richard Thompson

24 minutes ago, leftybassman392 said:

Long time acoustic player.

I'm a little out of touch with the current generation so my list is perhaps a little backward-looking, but people I'd recommend would include Martin Simpson, Richard Thompson and John Martyn. Plenty of others out there of course, but these three would be near the top of any list I were to come out with. Adrian Legge is a fantastically good player too, but never quite floated my boat for some reason. Not quite sure why. I have a couple of his albums but never listen to them these days. Perhaps I should... :/

John Martyn

Martin Simpson

Richard Thompson

I think I might know why Adrian Legg doesn't do it for you, probably because many of his earlier albums don't float my boat either and that's because on these he uses an electrified Ovation acoustic rather than a pure acoustic that's been miced up whatever.  Also most of his tunes are his own and are a bit new age/Wyndham Hill  - although he never gets as saccharine as others in that genre - but does'nt do folk tunes like the others you mentioned . However, once he joined the Favored Nations label his material got a lot better as he drew more folk and blues influences and stopped using the Ovation in favour of a regular acoustic.

• Like 1

I dabble on acoustic simply as an aide to writing, but for me it's Martin Simpson all the way. Tone, phrasing, note choice; for me he's leagues above anyone else I've ever heard. One of my favourite people to listen to musically, full stop.

33 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

I think I might know why Adrian Legg doesn't do it for you, probably because many of his earlier albums don't float my boat either and that's because on these he uses an electrified Ovation acoustic rather than a pure acoustic that's been miced up whatever.  Also most of his tunes are his own and are a bit new age/Wyndham Hill ...

Sounds about right. Is there anything of his you'd recommend?

I have been spending a lot of time with acoustic guitar lately as I find I am getting fewer and fewer calls and want to get involved with something that is self contained. The players I like are Ralph Towner, acoustic Al Dimeola and guys like Yamandu Costa and Jose Luis Monton. I am not interested in playing 'Jazz guitar' just in playing beautiful music. I am exploring a lot of solo guitar arrangements of Astor Piazzolla stuff like this. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, leftybassman392 said:

Sounds about right. Is there anything of his you'd recommend?

I have only two Favored Nations releases; Guitar Bones and Inheritance. I used to have all his Relativity albums but sold them cos of the reasons I mentioned.  I'm as much of an acoustic guitar geek as I am a bass geek and those I'd recommend  above all others for both playing skills and quality of albums are Martin Simpson, celtic acoustic maestro Tony McManus,  flatpick ace Dan Crary, Leo Kottke and Pete Huttlinger. Tommy Emmanuel is cracking live but IMO his studio albums aren't as good as his live recordings.

• Thanks 1

I play acoustic, at home only though. Always have it to hand for working out songs etc, and love to hear one played properly. Players I've always admired include James Taylor, Robert Johnson, Chet Atkins, Eric Clapton and Mark Knopfler. As with electric guitar, I've never gone for the 100 notes a second approach. 😉

This was on Radio 2 recently. Was never a big fan of Dire Straits, but Mr Knopfler is something else.

• Like 1

My Lowden O22c is set next to my sofa and my go to instrument whether it's aimless strumming or working on a particular song.  Never played it outside of my front room as I've never put myself forward as an acoustic player, but I probably play it more than all my other instruments combined.

But I wouldn't say I'm especially/specifically a fan of acoustic music.  Not that I dislike it - I even went to a Gordon Giltrap gig once - more that I just see it as part of a guitarist's pallet rather than only wanting to hear that.  So the acoustic stuff I listen to is more incidentally acoustic rather than picked because it is acoustic, if that makes sense.  I don't listen to acoustic players in order to study their technique or to learn their songs

So lots of this sort of thing:

Love me some Elliot Smith:

and this album of AC/DC covers by Mark Kozalek - 

Whilst I don't play the guitar, I do try to learn to play it, and it's always by my side.
In all essence, Jethro Tull's gorgeous "Life Is a Long Song" (sic) more than anything else made me buy not only a classical guitar but also a parlour guitar:

Edited by BassTractor