Why become a member? Read more... ×
Skol303

December Cover Song Challenge - GET WRITING!

🎄 December Cover Song Challenge 🎄

As is tradition, we're doing something a bit different for December... so instead of composing to a photo, we’re running a covers competition. Basically, choose a song or instrumental that you like and write your own version of it. You can be faithful to the original or left of field; the choice is yours.

All of the usual rules apply with a few additional caveats:

• It doesn’t have to be a Christmas song.
  • You’re welcome to submit anything recorded this year (not just from December), so there’s no excuse for those of you in cover bands not to enter.
  • Don’t go lifting any samples from whatever song you intend to cover, as that will breach the usual terms and conditions leading to extreme punitive measures.
  • Bagpipes are allowed this one time only! But that still doesn't make them right.

The deadline for entries is midnight on December 24th.

giphy.gif

I think I will be IN this month, we've just recorded a cover that we've knocked about a couple of times over the years, but tonight we changed the genre. Drums, guitar and vox down, just need to put a more coherent bass  on, then mix, and, by Jove!, it'll be done!

• Like 1

The family Lurks are getting stuck in , I’m trying for some cheap votes with the grandson on vocals , Lurksalittle in formal mode as well as singing hopefully , loads of panpipes as I can’t find a bagpipe VST, all with a good dose of political satire thrown in .

It might just end up on the studio floor yet though :D

I'm trying to sort something out, simply for participation's sake, by recording a song I played (drums...) on, nearly fifty years ago now, when rehearsing stuff with Alan Stirling's band in my front room at Shepperton. It's from memory (as was last year's effort, in similar circumstances...), and will certainly be unknown to anyone. I count it as a cover, as I didn't compose the original. We'll see how I get on with it; be prepared for disappointment, though. :$

23 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

. We'll see how I get on with it; be prepared for disappointment, though. :$

Don't worry Douglas, we're used to it by now :)

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Well. I picked a song without knowing how many covers there are. I can't sing though.

I might knock it on the head as family/ work commitments won't allow me to enter. Besides all my recording stuff needs setting up from box whenever I want to record which is time consuming.

3 hours ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

Don't worry Douglas, we're used to it by now :)

XHlPYfU.png

Edited by Dad3353

This is the entry, I think! I was going to mix it again and add some more vocals, but my guitarist put the rough mix up on our band SoundCloud already.

So, it may get tweaked if I find time, or this will be it. This was the second take, as the tempo first time through was "wrong", apparently, bass-warts n all!

Irie-Psychokiller

I’ve been very lazy with the BC composition challenge this year! Not for lack of enthusiasm… just a very busy year for me at work, but with the promise of a slightly more sane work life next year. So I expect to be back in the saddle here in 2019.

In the meantime, here’s a cover track I managed to get written earlier this year: a remix of ‘Rules’ by Starita. Hopefully something you might even dance to, with sufficient sherry in your belly 😉

Arrangement, mixing and bass guitar by yours truly (Fender Jazz if I remember right):

https://soundcloud.com/skollob/rules-remix

Cheers 

Edited by Skol303

Super important completely hypothetical question - If I wanted to do a cover of an obscure song using the original vocal stem that has been freely published for remix purposes is that kosher within the spirit of the thing or is it too "remixy"?

2 hours ago, bobbass4k said:

Super important completely hypothetical question - If I wanted to do a cover of an obscure song using the original vocal stem that has been freely published for remix purposes is that kosher within the spirit of the thing or is it too "remixy"?

That's pretty much what I've done above. I think so long as the vocal stem was made available for free usage, then it's fine.

NB: the purpose of the Christmas Special challenge is just to have a bit of fun (even more so than usual) and muster up a diverse selection of music that folks can enjoy over the festive period - in my case, often as a 'digestif' with a glass of sherry in hand. Cover versions of literally anything are welcome; and I think that for argument's sake, remixes can be counted as cover versions.

Heck, even bagpipes are permitted at this time of year! 😬

I'm keen to get involved in this, sounds a lot of fun. Am I interpreting it right, because we can cover an existing song, its more an arrange/playing/recording challenge?

1 hour ago, paul_c2 said:

I'm keen to get involved in this, sounds a lot of fun. Am I interpreting it right, because we can cover an existing song, its more an arrange/playing/recording challenge?

Yep. Normally, the challenge involves writing a new piece of music inspired by a picture (chosen by the previous month's winner).

During December we run a 'Cover Song Challenge for fun, during which folks are welcome to submit their own take on any song (or instrumental) they choose. I think people tend to vote on 'gut feeling', favouring whichever entries they like best according to personal taste (ultimately a mix of arrangement/playing/recording and more).

The key point is: don't sweat it! The focus is always on having fun and just getting stuck in. And this month more than ever! 😉

Edited by Skol303