Why become a member? ×

Mustang Bass dimensions (for gig bags)

Sibob

12 minutes ago, ezbass said:

One shoulder strap appeals to me. I can’t seem to find any site that gives the dimensions, unfortunately and I can’t find it on ESP’s own site, which seems weird. £105 doesn’t seem too spiteful.

Gear4 music might have one in the warehouse and perhaps they’d measure it for you if you email. If not I can check one out for you when I’m next in the area

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/ESP-Premium-Guitar-Gig-Bag/35BW

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ped said:

Yeah it’s not cheap but I couldn’t find one cheaper that fits and has the semi hardcase build. ESP do one which looks similar but it only has one shoulder strap. 

IMG_6488.jpeg

IMG_6489.jpeg

IMG_6490.jpeg

IMG_6491.jpeg

Nice - I wonder if a Sandberg Lionel would fit?

That would be perfect for me then.

16 minutes ago, ped said:

Let me know the size from top to bottom and I'll have a look for you, or you could send a tracing perhaps! Hell, just come to York for a bass nerd out sesh.

That would be fun.

I'm in Northants, but I do spend a bit of time in Sheffield delivering supplies to my eldest at Uni. Might be able to match that up at some point. Just not the beginning or end of term. It's a battle to get all her stuff in my car as it is!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Nice - I wonder if a Sandberg Lionel would fit?

That would be perfect for me then.

I have a JMJ and a Lionel, the Lionel is approx 15mm shorter than the Mustang and body is similar dimensions 

I've been having a good look at the Gator Icon series - possibly a useful solution for wider-bodied short-scales.  The ads indicate a semi-rigid construction and the video shows a fairly substantial car running over the bag.  I'm not suggesting that the bag should stand-up to such abuse, though I'd be interested to know (if any owners can comment) whether the Icon cases have a rigid plastic layer in the edges and front/back face under the ballistic nylon outer?  The video appears to show (car side view) fairly serious distortion of the case, and if I'm not mistaken, the overhead view of the car has the case face upwards, and the side-view, case face down.  Again, I'm not suggesting that the case should stand-up to being left in the road, but good to know just how rigid it is (I've always liked Protec's approach here though Protec cases are a bit narrow).  

On 21/08/2023 at 17:42, ped said:

Yeah it’s not cheap but I couldn’t find one cheaper that fits and has the semi hardcase build. ESP do one which looks similar but it only has one shoulder strap. 

IMG_6488.jpeg

IMG_6489.jpeg

IMG_6490.jpeg

IMG_6491.jpeg

Now that is a thing of beauty. Is that the 66 Mustang that you had modified?

24 minutes ago, ezbass said:

That’s quite the endorsement from a man who has owned some proper exotica.

Cheers, it’s really been a surprise because I wasn’t expecting to like it as much as I do. It covers so much sonic territory from 60s J to a really thick and (this is going to sound stupid) stingray-ish P sound. And I’d never have believed that a 30” scale bass could work in drop D but it sounds massive. Oh and the setup is spot on, the neck is flawless and it even smells nice 😂

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

Someone mentioned the Thomann Beat Bass gig bag. If mustang nicely, slightly tight on top horn but plenty of room for head and tuners £27 delivered 

IMG_9428.jpeg

IMG_9429.jpeg

Edited by Duroc17

On 31/05/2023 at 18:44, tayste_2000 said:

Fits tightly in the GruvGear Guitar Kapsulite

I couldn’t find the Kapsulite Plus which has wheels, the website shows that would be too small.

But I’ve got a Kapsule waiting for me in the US which I’m hoping will be my 1 bag travel solution for long trips.

I’ll be doing several flights with this in the hold over the next few months.

The Thomann Beatle Bass bag was great and super light but it’s a nightmare carrying on on each flight. Even when you’ve got it on, finding space for it and then people dumping suitcases on top of it. Much much easier just to check and this was the only thing I could get in Colombia (Mono was more expensive and bigger). This is shorter but wider, obviously heavier but looks really sleek so overall looks more compact.

Will see how it stands up to my next several flights.

Not sure what I’m going to do when I buy a full scale bass again 😬

(Currently have a Gruv Gear Edge, Kapsulite, Kapsule. All guitar models and each with a Mustang in them)

F3FD6AE3-2405-465A-8513-F8320D81DFF4.jpeg

Kapsule is also very nice.

The Gator shown last is a bass case

2B7ADBF2-7285-4B12-9355-14007C1488F3.jpeg

262C43FF-CD7D-4FB3-BB2A-9991CF9B6779.jpeg

28CF2BFC-6A34-4E06-B0AB-62F747DA5EB2.jpeg

243991D8-AEC4-425C-9714-2F8590760137.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 01/12/2019 at 14:17, Sibob said:

The Mono sleeve is too short for a Mustang, although fits my Serek shortscale (ie a stumpy body with a 2+2 headstock).

But yeah, the Gruv Gear Edge is the best I’ve found so far.

Si

Well yes except it isn't. I carry my Mustang in the guitar sleeve (which I bought for my Telecaster) and it's a teensy weensy bit tight around the top but otherwise fits just fine.