Why become a member? ×

Best clip on chromatic tuner?

spiltmilk_2000

3 hours ago, Hellzero said:

Here is the way to do it as NOBODY BUT ME ever reads a user manual (copy/paste) :

Setting  instrument  type (guitar or bass)

By default, PolyTune Clip is set up for tuning guitars. To tune a bass, press and hold the Display Mode Button for more than 5 seconds. The secondary display will display “B”. To return to Guitar Tuning Mode, press and hold the Display Mode Button for more than five seconds again. The Secondary Display will display “G”. The selected instrument type will be stored and preserved even when you change the battery.

Read the f*cking manual ! 😎

Thanks for that, I've had mine about 2 years and never read the manual, didn't know there was a bass mode.

• Haha 1

I've got the Polytune Unitune.  Excellent clip on tuner. Tunes a B string well. Cheap, small, swivels into any postition. Couldn't ask for more. You can ( I think) turn the display upside down if you want clip it for back of head stock viewing.

Edited by bubinga5

16 hours ago, spiltmilk_2000 said:

to work on my fretless intonation? 

I used to leave a Snark on the bridge of my EUB for tuning and if I played when it was on it used to laugh at me, I swear the display used to come up with "REALLY ?"😒

10 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

Then more recently I got a D'Addario eclipse.  Top marks for the display - colourful and very intuitive.  Points deducted as it fell apart after a few months of use...but I will probably replace it as it's just much better to use than the Ortega

I thought that I'd give the Eclipse a try as well. I find it much faster than the Snark but after a couple of months the screen is burst. Still works but looks like something has pressed against it. If they made a more expensive version with a tougher screen then I'd buy one in a minute. they do take too long to turn on and off though if you want to tune between songs unless you leave it on all the time.

15 hours ago, Delberthot said:

I thought that I'd give the Eclipse a try as well. I find it much faster than the Snark but after a couple of months the screen is burst. Still works but looks like something has pressed against it. If they made a more expensive version with a tougher screen then I'd buy one in a minute. they do take too long to turn on and off though if you want to tune between songs unless you leave it on all the time.

ah - so it's not just me then.  Mine still worked fine, but the connection to the clip sheered off so it's effectively unusable, and it's not like I looked after it especially well so that may well have been down to general abuse that I inflicted.  Shame it's not more robust...but then it is pretty cheap so I guess you get what you pay for.

So I bought a Peterson StroboClip HD and must say it's dead accurate, quite fast and has lots of sweetened tunings including Buzz Feiten ones. But the TC Electronic Polytune Clip is faster, a very little bit less accurate due to the LED linear strobe tuning (as opposed to the circular moving strobe tuning on the Peterson) and way much cheaper.

My advice woulb be to buy the TC Electronic Polytune Clip for live music and general purpose(s). If you are into precise setups and need these sweetened tunings, then go for the Peterson Stroboclip HD and pay the extra money.

Now, I've got 3 excellent clip on tuners (2 TC Electronic and 1 Peterson). :biggrin:

3 hours ago, Hellzero said:

So I bought a Peterson StroboClip HD and must say it's dead accurate, quite fast and has lots of sweetened tunings including Buzz Feiten ones. But the TC Electronic Polytune Clip is faster, a very little bit less accurate due to the LED linear strobe tuning (as opposed to the circular moving strobe tuning on the Peterson) and way much cheaper.

My advice woulb be to buy the TC Electronic Polytune Clip for live music and general purpose(s). If you are into precise setups and need these sweetened tunings, then go for the Peterson Stroboclip HD and pay the extra money.

Now, I've got 3 excellent clip on tuners (2 TC Electronic and 1 Peterson). :biggrin:

I completely agree.