Why become a member? ×

In need of a good drum machine

ReeV0

Hi guys,

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, I wasn't sure where to post it.

I'm in need of a good drum machine to jam with and to create drum tracks for my recordings. So far I've been using my keyboard, but the drum tracks aren't the best and it's too difficult to manually record them as I'll go out of time.

I had an Alesis S-16 a few years ago but it didn't impress me, the drum tracks were boring and there wasn't much in the way of funk (I play a lot of funk). I've also got a Zoom B3 and Boss RC3 but the drums on them suck.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the following:

Boss DR-670

Boss DR-5

Boss DR-202 (like the look of this the best)

Boss DR-3 (looked kinda sucky in youtube videos)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Singular sound beat buddy mini second hand hovers about £100 - it’s invaluable.

Failing that get an audio USB interface of your choosing, like a presonus or a focusrite Scarlett.

They come bundled with a free DAW which will have beats on them, you can use garage band, or you can buy EZ Drummer and have a massive world of beats to patch into a tune

9 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

Singular sound beat buddy mini second hand hovers about £100 - it’s invaluable.

Failing that get an audio USB interface of your choosing, like a presonus or a focusrite Scarlett.

They come bundled with a free DAW which will have beats on them, you can use garage band, or you can buy EZ Drummer and have a massive world of beats to patch into a tune

I thought the cheapest Beat Buddy wasn't worth having?

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

you wanna make full on tunes go DAW and EZDRUMMER or a similar program

Aye - lots of kits available with mixer and large library of real drum loops and fills with the ability to add, delete or completely programme from scratch.

I've got the Jabbo Sparks/Clyde Stubblefield add on as well which is proper funky...

• Like 1

I have the DR-3 and whilst it is cheap looking it works well for me when noodling at home instead of a metronome. It is programmable but I have never got to grips with that aspect. Usefully too (for me),  you can leave the power pack plugged in as it seems to only switch on when you switch the machine on. I can therefore use a socket that is not easy for every day access.

I also have a DR3 and I think it sucks, it lacks a midi out to allow it to control other devices, it is manageable but it is a pain, I also think it lacks enough variation in it's presets.....in fact, I really think I should sell it! 

I use it only as a back up now if I can't be bothered to programme the TR-8

38 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I just watched Pete Thorn's vid demo of the Beat Buddy.

Seems to be a great bit of kit. Not cheap, and of course there is the Pete Thorn effect that he could make a dog egg sound awesome, but even so - I think I want one!!

I used my beatbuddy live with a cabaret outfit. Simples

7 minutes ago, jjl5590 said:

Not a bad idea. Do you know if there's any difference between a 2016 version and a 2018?

I'd imagine just software. You can buy all kinds of sound sets, world percussion, jazz kits, big Phil Collins type kits so I imagine it'll be a load of those and functionality 

Just now, mic mac moe said:

I'd imagine just software. You can buy all kinds of sound sets, world percussion, jazz kits, big Phil Collins type kits so I imagine it'll be a load of those and functionality 

If you get one, it's worth having the extra footswitch. I don't think it's necessary to get their branded one, surely a stagg thingy would do

5 hours ago, mic mac moe said:

If you get one, it's worth having the extra footswitch. I don't think it's necessary to get their branded one, surely a stagg thingy would do

I managed to find a great deal on a new beatbuddy, got it for £160 new. 

Do you think it's really worth getting the footswitch? I can't find anyone confirming cheaper footswitches will work 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jjl5590 said:

I managed to find a great deal on a new beatbuddy, got it for £160 new. 

Do you think it's really worth getting the footswitch? I can't find anyone confirming cheaper footswitches will work 

The switch just give a bit more flexibility. I was using mine live, mind. If yours is for practice I'm sure you will be just fine without