Why become a member? ×

Musicians in the family.?

bubinga5

Does anyone have a musical family.? Im very proud to say that my dad was the musical director at the Hasting's Musical Society and Orchestra in New Zealand. He still plays piano and violin but age is catching up with him. Looks like me but me got no 70's moustache.. Doesn't like funk, loves Queen. Is in love with Bach's music. I also forced Anita Baker on to him.. 😁When I first started playing bass, i was very lucky to be able to ask him about theory and how it all worked. 

563742_627783097285319_262554544_n.jpg

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 1

Yeah my dad too. He was in London at the start of the rock n roll explosion and ended up unwittingly rubbing shoulders with a lot of the big names in music now. He grew up and played in bands with Ian McLagen of the small faces, did sessions with Manfred Mann, had The Who support one of his bands, saw the stones before anyone cared about them, bumped into a “weird kid” called David Bowie at some parties.....and so on.

All of this and a bit more I have draggged out of him over the years as he kept the fact he was even a musician hidden from my mum and I for about 20 years. He turned his back on it and gave up until I was about 15 when he started playing guitar again.

I adored music before he showed any ability, but he stoked the fire in me to learn to play and instrument and taught me my first chords and encouraged me so much to play bass when I showed a genuine interest. At 16 I was gigging in pubs and playing functions in his band earning £70-150 a night, good times!

• Like 1

Nope, not a jot, not even a vague interaction with a triangle or recorder at an early age. My Dad had an amazing Tenor voice which I sadly didn’t inherit but that’s it. On the plus side I am now seen as some sort of magician/ music god for my ability to get a tune out of something.

No one musicial in the playing sense. 

My dad loved Hall and Oates, Queen and was always very supportive in my musical ventures.

My mum always had music on...Beatles, Kinks, big band, rat pack, Doris Day, Frank and Bing, Dean Martin.  I remember she loved soundtrack stuff, The King and I, South Pacific. In my teens she liked Kiss and Cheap Trick.  I took her to see Kiss at Wembley on the first reunion tour.  She died in March and going through her stuff I was surprised at the CDs she'd bought.  Loads of Bon Jovi, Bryan Adams, REM, Beatles.  Bless her.

My mum was a concert pianist, my dad a decent drummer in his day, my mum taught my son from a very young age to play the piano, even though he hasn't played for a few years he is still a very capable pianist if he wants to be, my three step brothers are all musicians (after coming to see me play when they were a lot younger) James is a competent drummer and guitarist, Rich is a very competent guitarist, keyboard player, bassist, singer / songwriter and Jack is a brilliant blues guitarist....my sister and step sister have no musical ability that we know of! 

My father was a professional drummer in the 60s. He favoured jazz but as a session player did everything from TV commercials to playing with Dudley Moore and even depped with The Wurzels. He got disillusioned and gave it up to go to teacher training college. I can't complain, it's where he met my Mum. 

Dad showed me 12 bar blues and also at 15 showed me how cool drum brushes sounded against bass strings.

My mum used to play acoustic guitar along to her Country And Western records back in the early 70,s while knocking back bottles of Emva Cream.

My old nan used to play the piano in pubs back in the war.

I,m the only one in the present who plays a musical instrument.

Good topic this. The list of musicians in my family is exactly zilch. Nothing. Nada. I don't recall ever seeing any member of my family even picking an instrument up, let alone playing one. And yet, there was always music being played. Dad loved Lead Belly and all the old blues music. Mum loved Elvis. Both my sister and I played recorder in school but never persevered to any extent.

My wife's family is different in that her brother is an incredibly natural musician. He can pick up just about any instrument and get a tune out of it. It's just that he's not that interested in doing do. Both his daughters are very competent musicians though.