Why become a member? ×

Archtop Guitar to Bass Conversion

kristo

After picking up a Brandoni bass made from a classical acoustic guitar (see thread here https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/326362-nbd-brandoni-acoustic-bass/?tab=comments#comment-3564414 ) I've started to wonder if a similar thing could be done with an archtop guitar. Therefore I have acquired a cheap Harley Benton Manhattan to give it a go (with help):

LdrxkeD.jpg

My plan is to get a Hofner Violin style bridge and tailpiece to try. Unfortunately I don't think the kind of bridge used on the Brandoni will have enough height. If it seems ok I'll then look at replacing the tuners with something more substantial and then getting a pickup fitted. So I guess before I get the ball rolling I was just wondering:

• Has anybody tried this before?
  • Does anybody foresee any issues?
  • If it works what pickup would people try? 

I'm no expert, but I'd be concerned that the tension could be too much for the existing neck join, bracing and whatever bridge or tail piece you use. Overtime you may get issues. 

Light strings, down tuning a half step and reinforcing where you can would help. As might this? https://www.liutaiomottola.com/instruments/TinozzaAsm.htm

Either way, have fun tinkering. 

Edited by Chiliwailer

On 09/08/2018 at 11:08, kristo said:

After picking up a Brandoni bass made from a classical acoustic guitar ...

Erm ... Shirley, that Brandoni bass is made from an acoustic bass guitar, not a classical acoustic guitar.

Or am I missing something?

5 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Erm ... Shirley, that Brandoni bass is made from an acoustic bass guitar, not a classical acoustic guitar.

Roberto bought all the old Eko stock, and other factories, and has been having fun making various Frankenstein's ever since. 

15 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

Won’t the scale length be all wrong?

The scale length on the converted classical guitar is roughly 26.5 inches, and with the heavy Labellas the intonation is good and the strings feel great when playing. They aren’t super floppy like a Uke bass. I’m hoping the archtop would have a similar feel.

15 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

If the idea is to have fun with a crazy project, then have at it and let us know how you get on! There are plenty of potential issues, but you may be able to overcome them with some bodging.

If a cheap hollowbody bass is the aim, the money spent on the guitar could just as well have gone on the Harley Benton Beatbass, likely providing a far better instrument, designed and fit for purpose from the off.

If the former, I'll watch your fantastic journey, if the latter, I'm sure they'll let you return the no doubt trembling, cold sweating guitar!

I’ve always found hollow body basses never feel short scale because of the bridge position. If I could find a hollow body that felt like my Mustang that would be great!

I am also a guitarist, and when I tried the Brandoni the size and feel was good for me. I love arch tops, so began to lust for a bass one. I’ve tried the Epiphone pictured but the pickup was rubbish and the neck was more like a full scale bass. 

8 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

Personally I wouldn’t break what looks like a nice guitar for a project like this...

That is a concern. The guitar should come this week so I’ll see how it is before getting out the screwdriver. 

15 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

It was definitely a classical guitar. This picture shows its size in context.

vLHgqGn.jpg

I take it you have checked string tension. The D'Addario website gives figures.

Very rough figures needing adjustment for scale length and string type and weight.

Guitar: 6 x 17 lb: 102 lb

Bass: 4 x 37 lb: 148 lb

On a true archtop with no centre block to strengthen it, I would be holding my breath. Then there is the neck and its relief to worry about. Once you start bending a neck, that just increases the moment (as in leverage). Again, I would be somewhat nervous. There is only so much a truss rod can support.

Edited by DBerriff
  • Like 1

I'd dispute that the Brandoni could possibly have been a traditional classical guitar! No internal reinforcement, no truss rod, designed for near-zero tension nylon strings?

Stick bass strings on a normally-constructed classical guitar & it would snap in half before you could tune the G to pitch.