Why become a member? ×

IMPORTANCE OF BASS GUITAR

Jaime Tortosa

We all know bass: an instrument that is in every kind of actual and older music. But bass guitar is sometimes underrated as an instument. Many people say that they can't listen to it, when maybe they can't recognise it.
Bass guitar can be used to create the harmonies of a song, but also to write beatiful melodies and solos. It's the link between the drums and other intruments like guitar, piano, trumpetes... All in all, it's a crutial instrument.
I have a YouTube Project 🙂 https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdzGmH8kV1A4ggge-TquZDg), where I try to demonstrate the importance of bass guitar in music. I make bass solos (covers and original ones), riffs, essential basslines to learn... I share with my audience some songs that have a relevant bassline. I put the bass at the front, so they can apreciate it. I Will be uploading a lot of content, so consider to ubscribe if you like it. 
RELEVANT VIDEOS:
ANESTHESIA PULLING TEETH (Cliff Burton's solo) cover:
DAWN PATROL COVER:
DAVID ELLEFSON BASS SOLO COVER:
ACES HIGH BASS COVER:
BASS GUITAR METAL SOLO:

If you like music in general or the good sound of a bass guitar, I invite to subscribe to my channel. I'm starting it, so I need a bit of support 🙂 https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdzGmH8kV1A4ggge-TquZDg?sub_confirmation=1 ). At least visit it, you won't regret.
  • Like 3

Nice videos Jaime! And a great project.

Rest assured you don't need to promote the importance of bass guitar to anyone here. We're all very much onboard with you :) 

Might be a good idea to 'infiltrate' some guitar forums and share the love with them too. If anyone needs to understand the importance of bass, it's guitarists...

• Like 3

hahaha, skol303 you're right. Thank you for your kind comment, it means a lot to me. Yeah, I'm also looking for some support on my channel, so also the videos get to more people (including guitarists, hahaha). For sure, I'll try to get my message to more guitar fórums. For the moment, thanks for the kind words and, you already now you can subscribe to my channel if you like 

3 hours ago, Skol303 said:

Might be a good idea to 'infiltrate' some guitar forums and share the love with them too. If anyone needs to understand the importance of bass, it's guitarists...

This.  I know so many guitarists who are dismissive of the role of the bass...until they find themselves in a band with a really bad bass player.

Two words: melody and drive

Funnily enough singers, espeically good ones, tend to be the opposite, having much more appreciation for the role of the bass in laying down the melody that they are singing to

7 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

This.  I know so many guitarists who are dismissive of the role of the bass...until they find themselves in a band with a really bad bass player.

Two words: melody and drive

Funnily enough singers, espeically good ones, tend to be the opposite, having much more appreciation for the role of the bass in laying down the melody that they are singing to

Well said there. 

• Like 2

Jamie, when I read your OP the first thought in my head was 'Oh No, not another bass solo post'.  So having scanned your playing I am glad I did.  Your playing is fine but you fall into the trap of projecting the bass (guitar) as a solo instrument.  The bass is so much more important than that.  As everyone here knows, the bass links up with the drummer to create the foundation for the singer and other musicians (guitarist?) to perform.  A solid foundation or groove is what gets people off their seats and onto the dance floor - it makes them want to dance.

In a band situation, each musician has a role to play.  It might be hard for a bassist or a guitarist to accept but their function is to support and make the singer look good.  Of the two mentioned, the bass is the more critical for the reasons listed above.  Queen (the band) are a typical example.  The band supported Freddie - even the guitar and bass solos and playing were only used to put further emphasis on the front man Freddie.  The band were and are fine musicians in their own right but they knew that they could help make the sum of their efforts to be greater than their individual playing.

Take a young child's jigsaw puzzle for example.  Four parts to assemble the picture, but the picture is only fully revealed when each piece is in the correct position.  Take away one piece and the picture collapses.  Likewise take one piece and emphasize the colours using a painting set, and the picture has lost its wholeness, its balance as one quarter is now brighter and more vivid than the other three pieces.  Just because a musician learns a technique, does not mean that he has to use it unless the song requires it.  And searching for a song to use this technique results in the other band members learning the song to accommodate the other musician.  Which is not conducive to a good or great overall performance by the band.  We have all heard examples of this - the guitarist learns a song because it has his new solo in it..........

Please don't read this post in a negative fashion.  I am not criticizing your playing.  Rather the idea that the bass is or could become a lead instrument.  If the song requires three root notes plus octave, nobody will sack you for playing those notes.  It might be boring as hell but TBH a lot of playing is repetition.  Repetition can become boring but the boredom is reduced if the dance floor is full of people swaying and dancing to the music.  People hear the singer and the overall band sound and react accordingly.  They may not pick up on the subtleties of bass playing but they will feel the groove.  And they will want to dance.

What more is there to ask for?   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, bazzbass said:

Ummm we already know how important bass is, go tell the guitarists  :)

But the guitarists can't hear you tell them how important the bass is. They've been playing with their amps too load for too long and ruined their hearing. 🤣