Why become a member? ×

How much clipping is safe?

TrevorG

Sometime I play with a REALLY loud guitarist that calls for a lot of wattage from me. Sometimes I just bring the combo without the extension cab which is loud enough but sometimes I want more. So I turn up on the amp (but my Spector has very high output before it even gets to the compressor or anything else). If I boost the EQ I set the gain quite low to avoid any flashing lights but how much lighting up of the clip warning is OK? None, occasional, or can we let the first beat of every bar burn a little?

30 minutes ago, TrevorG said:

Actually Bill I can disagree with some authority here(for once), Pete's hearing problem's seem to be on one side. If you catch the right side he answers. At least that's how it was when I worked with him.

The burning question is whether his hearing loss is on the same side as was The Ox 's back line...

I wouldn't like to hear clipping at a gig.  If your guitarist is as loud as you say, I'd probably leave.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

The burning question is whether his hearing loss is on the same side as was The Ox 's back line...

I wouldn't like to hear clipping at a gig.  If your guitarist is as loud as you say, I'd probably leave.

You're right and we have been talking the guitarist down but I don't "hear" clipping just see the light occasionally flickernwhich is why I asked.

I'd always bring my "big rig" if I play with guys like this. You need to balance the sound of the band. If he is this loud then you have to be as well.

I played with a similar guitarist yesterday and I brought both cabs, started with the volume controls at noon, expecting to creep up a little from there when needed. My Aguilar TH500 used to clip with this guy (clipping with this amp doesn't cause a problem) now my AG700 doesn't. 

I wouldn't touch the EQ if you are regularly clipping, I'd turn your bass down and let the amp deal with the volume. If you are still clipping or you can't hear your rig over the rest of the band, your rig is telling you that you need to upgrade to something bigger.

When you are playing as loud as you say, it's time to get some effective ear protection.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I'd always bring my "big rig" if I play with guys like this. You need to balance the sound of the band. If he is this loud then you have to be as well.

I played with a similar guitarist yesterday and I brought both cabs, started with the volume controls at noon, expecting to creep up a little from there when needed. My Aguilar TH500 used to clip with this guy (clipping with this amp doesn't cause a problem) now my AG700 doesn't. 

I wouldn't touch the EQ if you are regularly clipping, I'd turn your bass down and let the amp deal with the volume. If you are still clipping or you can't hear your rig over the rest of the band, your rig is telling you that you need to upgrade to something bigger.

When you are playing as loud as you say, it's time to get some effective ear protection.

Unless it meant not being able to pay my mortgage I wouldn't be "upgrading" my amp, "bringing my big rig" or getting "effective hearing protection", I'd be leaving the band. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

Unless it meant not being able to pay my mortgage I wouldn't be "upgrading" my amp, "bringing my big rig" or getting "effective hearing protection", I'd be leaving the band. 

That's a choice people make.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, TrevorG said:

You're right and we have been talking the guitarist down but I don't "hear" clipping just see the light occasionally flickernwhich is why I asked.

My knowledge of clipping lights is limited but I'd have thought they were set up to warn you that you are about to reach the amp's limitations before they are audible.

If you go on that principle then, as with VU metering, you'd aim to hit the light briefly but only at the loudest points in your performance.  That said, you'd be okay with a touch of a glimmer on The One in each bar.

• Like 1

There's no standard for clipping lights so it would be hard to say how much clipping would be acceptable. Heed Bill's advice about tweeters/horns. If the amp is genuinely clipping all that extra power pretty much goes through the horns.

Some clipping lights are on the input stages rather than monitoring the output. That makes it easy to set up a little distortion and then adjust your levels with the same level of 'grind' at all volume levels. If you have an input level control (sometimes called gain) and a master volume try turning the master volume right up and the input level down and see if the light goes out, or even turn the volume on your bass down and the master up. If that is the case your input stages were overloading and the amp actually wsn't giving you a little more power to play with. Worth a try anyway.

• Like 2

I have tried most of that but haven't really heard much difference in volume. I think my clipping light is monitoring the output as it can increase as I turn up EQ. I have a Markbass CMD K1 which has a 1” coil compression tweeter and there's a piezo tweeter on my 102P cab so Bill's advice has got me a little nervous. Don't get me wrong I can keep up with my loud guitarist at levels that don't clip but am trying to assess how much more I can turn it up before the clipping is excessive.

There's no standard in amp design for the clipping but i'll leave you with the an idea of what most manufacturers state about clip lights: There's nothing wrong in getting it to come on from time to time but make sure it also turns off. When you get the light constantly on it's time to back off the gain a bit before you can harm the amp.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

I wouldn't like to hear clipping at a gig. 

You probably hear it at every gig. It's what constitutes everything from what bass players call 'grind' to what guitar players call 'sweetness', let alone anything involving overdrive.

When you get the light constantly on it's time to back off the gain a bit before you can harm the amp.

Clipping can't harm an amp. A distortion pedal is an amp in a state of perpetual clipping.

• Like 1

Am I not correct with both my Eden Metro combo and my EBS HD350 that I set the volume on bass to max, on the amp to zero and then feed in the gain until when playing my loudest notes (silently ) the clipping light just flickers. Then I adjust the amp volume up as required.

Edited by Paddy515
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

(...)

Clipping can't harm an amp. A distortion pedal is an amp in a state of perpetual clipping.

I wasn't talking about preamp clip, i was refering to power stage clip. Preamp clip is just distortion, power amp clip is what can harm an amp. But now that you mention i think i may have missunderstood the OP. He may be talking about preamp clip.

edit: english is not my main language :D

Edited by Ghost_Bass

3 hours ago, Paddy515 said:

Am I not correct with both my Eden Metro combo and my EBS HD350 that I set the volume on bass to max, on the amp to zero and then feed in the gain until when playing my loudest notes (silently ) the clipping light just flickers. Then I adjust the amp volume up as required.

That's how I've always done it. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Ghost_Bass said:

I wasn't talking about preamp clip, i was refering to power stage clip. Preamp clip is just distortion, power amp clip is what can harm an amp. But now that you mention i think i may have missunderstood the OP. He may be talking about preamp clip.

Clipping is clipping, with both cause and effect being the same, no matter where it occurs in the signal chain. The only reason to have a clipping indicator is to warn the user of the potential for tweeter damage. Ever wonder why guitar amps don't have clip indicators? For one thing they don't use tweeters. For another they're usually clipping.

power amp clipping is to be avoided at all costs though. 

Why?

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

Clipping is clipping, with both cause and effect being the same, no matter where it occurs in the signal chain. The only reason to have a clipping indicator is to warn the user of the potential for tweeter damage. Ever wonder why guitar amps don't have clip indicators? For one thing they don't use tweeters. For another they're usually clipping.

Why?

I may be wrong and i'm not an electric engineer but poweramp clipping can and will blow the PSU and/or other power stage components. I know it for the wrong reasons, back in my youth i managed to blow a PSU on a practice amp by feeding it with a very high line signal... lesson learned.

Clipping will never bother a PSU. Too low an impedance load can if the amp is not protected against it, while sending a high level signal into an amp input can damage pre-amp components that aren't able to handle high current sources. When they fail they can take out the PSU as well, but clipping has nothing to do with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

I never knew that Bill, thanks for the info. I`m a "we don`t need no steenking tweeters" guy anyway, so the above is very useful.

• Like 1