Why become a member? ×

Modding an Already-Modded P Bass...

discreet

9 minutes ago, RandomBass said:

Love the way you are developing this bass into your own unique version.

I would buy a bass because there was something I liked about it, move it on and buy another because there was something else I liked about that one. It took a while for me to realise the obvious truth that I'd never find one bass that had everything I needed... hence the journey. :)

I'm fitting the bass around my current band. We play what I suppose you'd call 'rock-based' originals with some 'folk-type' and 'Americana' (whatever that is) thrown in. I'm going to use the series option (split P) for the rockier stuff and the parallel option (single P) for the big, thumpy klezma/folk-type stuff that would traditionally have had someone banging the crap out of an upright bass... all at the flick of a (very small) switch. ;)

2 minutes ago, Chiliwailer said:

Scrap what I said earlier about the Seymour Duncan being split coil, it was stacked. Similar though I suppose? And blooming lovely too :) 

http://customshop.seymourduncan.com/51-p-bass-stack/

That's another option and again they're pushing the advantage of noise-reduction. This is a little different as coil-tapping with a toggle switch will give you one of the two coils, which are stacked one atop the other (I think)... the Loureiro has two coils side by side, one for each set of two strings, like a split-pickup. It's not a coil tap setup, it gives series or parallel switching which changes the sound. I'm at the very limit of my paltry knowledge about pickup electrics so I'm going to shut up now. :D 

Just now, discreet said:

That's another option and again they're pushing the advantage of noise-reduction. This is a little different as coil-tapping with a toggle switch will give you one of the two coils, which are stacked one atop the other (I think)... the Loureiro has two coils side by side, one for each set of two strings, like a split-pickup. It's not a coil tap setup, it gives series or parallel switching which changes the sound. I'm at the very limit of my paltry knowledge about pickup electrics so I'm going to shut up now. :D 

I think your absolutely right Mark, nice one. 

Anyway, nothing wrong with your new pick up, it sounds great, and that HB looks very cool in Shoreling Gold. I bet most of us would have easily believed it was a Custom Shop if we were told so when listening to it. But that's another story, for another minefield of a thread....and it's all in the fingers eh?! :) 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

If you don`t mind me asking Mark, how much did the bridge end up costing in total with import/postage etc, and could you PM the link please?

Can't find it Lozz, but got it on the Bay and the product code is 005-8396-000. I think it was around £48 all in. They're between £65 and £85 in the UK.

Nice thing, I'm impressed with mine.

11 hours ago, discreet said:

Can't find it Lozz, but got it on the Bay and the product code is 005-8396-000. I think it was around £48 all in. They're between £65 and £85 in the UK.

Nice thing, I'm impressed with mine.

Thanks Mark, that is a good price all in, bargain in fact

• Like 1

Well... I've got this far, I think I'm going to go all the way. The HB neck is 14" radius (or more accurately 350mm), which is a little flat for me. Also I'm getting a bit OCD about the headstock, as I was a bit too, er... enthusiastic in the reshaping. The whole thing is about 1mm too small all round... 9_9

This isn't about budget basses any more - if I replace the neck it really won't be a Harley Benton. I think I may go for a Northwest Guitars one-piece maple neck (9.5" radius), they seem to be great value... and take the opportunity to change the finish... again. :D

Stand by for 'Modding A Bass That Has Already Been Modded TWICE!'

I thank you. :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Go for it.   Might have started life as an HB but it's evolving to suit your taste.

Doubt you'd be thinking of swapping the neck if you'd dropped £600 on a bass,chances are you'd just sell it. This way you're getting exactly what you want in small stages.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

Doubt you'd be thinking of swapping the neck if you'd dropped £600 on a bass,chances are you'd just sell it. This way you're getting exactly what you want in small stages.

Great point. I've been on the GAS merry-go-round for so long it's not even funny any more. Though it would probably have been easier to find something had I been into narrower nut widths.

The trend for slimmer and narrower necks, even on P Basses, really restricts one's choices. Try finding an affordable 1.75" nut width, 7.25" radius one-piece maple neck that's not attached to a Fender Classic 50s or a Road Worn.

Edited by discreet
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

Go for it.   Might have started life as an HB but it's evolving to suit your taste.

This. It’s certainly nice to watch the evolution of a “budget” bass as it blossoms into a beautiful butterfly!

• Thanks 1