Why become a member? Read more... ×
Tim Chapple

Mustang Bass - MIJ Vs. JMJ - Do they sound different?

Posted (edited)

So now the dust has settled a little on the release of the new JMJ... Who has played both the JMJ AND the MIJ Mustangs - I'm keen to know how they compare soundwise......

Love my MIJ Mustang, am I going to get anything different soundwise from the JMJ?

Edited by Tim Chapple

Posted (edited)

I know that its not answering your question, but I've owned a MIJ Mustang - I felt this had issues, for less money than the JMJ Mustang I bought a Supro Huntingdon II - which in my opinion is a better instrument - better playability and has tone for days.

Edited by No lust in Jazz
Words
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the feedback - I really love my MIJ Mustang, its my main bass - I'm wondering if the JMJ will add anything to what the MIJ already does (apart from maybe looking prettier).

Edited by Tim Chapple

Posted (edited)

Apart from the roadworn cosmetics the only difference with the JMJ is a custom-spec pickup voiced to be similar to JMJs original '66 Mustang. So tonewise it may have a slightly more vintage vibe than the MIJ but it's still going to sound like a Mustang and unlikely to be much different to your MIJ. I haven't tried a JMJ, love the way it looks but a little pricey for me.

Edited by ikay
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, ikay said:

Apart from the roadworn cosmetics the only difference with the JMJ is a custom-spec pickup voiced to be similar to JMJs original '66 Mustang. So tonewise it may have a slightly more vintage vibe than the MIJ but it's still going to sound like a Mustang and unlikely to be much different to your MIJ. I haven't tried a JMJ, love the way it looks but a little pricey for me.

Yeah - My thoughts too - I'd like a second Mustang to keep roundwounds on, but I'm unsure that the JMJ is a better option. It's undeniably pretty, but at a price. I'm thinking I'll wait until the second hand ones hit the market......

I like the look of the JMJ and seriously considered one to supplement my Squier Mustang for gigs.  I felt the price is a touch pricey at the minute though and managed to get a used CIJ Mustang for about half the price.  I'll probably look again when they start coming up used.

• Like 1

On 13/06/2018 at 16:03, No lust in Jazz said:

I know that its not answering your question, but I've owned a MIJ Mustang - I felt this had issues, for less money than the JMJ Mustang I bought a Supro Huntingdon II - which in my opinion is a better instrument - better playability and has tone for days.

I had to google the Supro - what a cool looking instrument! I'm intrigued.

• Like 1