Why become a member? ×

Sandberg appreciation society

GisserD

27 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

It's not mine - I just link to it because it's so useful.

You can have loads of options - just click the 3 in parallel or the 4 in parallel links on the page and it gives those figures too.

I missed the selection bit at the top. Brilliant wee programme.

Dave

• Like 1

I tried LaBella 5 strings flats (not low tension) and the result was very good.

The punch of the bass decrease but on the other side you have a very good midrange and a warm tone.

The B strings was more usable than you can expect, not the best definition but very vintage.

Interested on playing my Sandberg with Thomastik flats...if I do I will explain my thoughts.

I didn't like the feel of the Low Tension Flats under the right hand. I found them really grippy, particularly on a hot day.

I've got EB Group IV flats now and I love them. They are brighter / punchier but that can be tamed with tone settings easily enough.

I really like Ti flats on it too.

Had a quick noodle on a Central 5 in GuitarGuitar earlier, really impressed (as always) with Sandberg. Just extremely comfortable, well made basses.

Good range of tones available from the single pickup too, not sure I would take it over a VM5 but the simplicity is always tempting. They also had a very tasty looking heavy relic red Lionel that the guy says was his favourite bass in the shop currently but didn't have time to try it today.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I'm really liking the DR Black Beauties. Now got them on 3 basses.

I have the black beauties ok my enigma 5 anda fits perfect. Incredible sound anda look.

I don't like the bright so much but the more I play the more I like It because that bright dissapears a little bit.

• Like 1

I've had them on my Marlowe DK and VM4 for a while now at least 3 mths and they still sound amazing. The brightness has dropped a little but you end up with the hi mids coming thru far better. 

I added a set to my P bass 2 weeks ago but yet to try that out at a gig. Was gonna be tonight at a private party with punk covers band but 2 of them have the dreaded covid so the band got cancelled. Still going to the party for a few hrs tho but i'll be driving.

Dave

25 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Panther is a complete sleeper bass - so good and underrated - it’s phenomenal

I have an urge to change the hardware to black but not sure what to do about the tuners and where to find them as they look like old school Sandberg.

Panther Special 06.JPG

33 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Black would look good

depends on your OCD and if you mind filled in holes.

Worth contacting Sandberg as they may have old stuff knocking around?

Yeah, I'm on that path now.  The bridge, string tree and knobs all look the same.

6 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

I always think the Panther looks like a bass made to play funk and slap on.

Probably does everything in between nicely too.

Not my particular path and still a lovely bass.

• 5 weeks later...
12 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Yep that's quite smart @mcnach

No point me removing mine as its white on white bass :laugh1:

Dave

I had been using a white pickguard and I was reverting back to the original black... but when I was cleaning it I thought "hmm, this is not bad either", and I actually liked the extra space under the strings.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mcnach said:

I had been using a white pickguard and I was reverting back to the original black... but when I was cleaning it I thought "hmm, this is not bad either", and I actually liked the extra space under the strings.

It seems to give it more character and takes it away from the standard look of VM4.

Like that colour on it. Very nice indeed.

Dave

• Thanks 1

I've just realised I only have 1 long scale bass left.

I have 2 shorties, 3 mediums (one will definitely be sold, maybe 2 of them) and 1 long scale. 

I didn't plan this at all. The long scale I have left is a Sandberg Superlight so it's not going anywhere, but I have noticed that the TT4 is now on the configurator as a shortscale option. If only I had more money! A lottery win would be nice!

I hope I’m not breaking any rules by posting this, but can anyone point me in the direction of either a black or tort guard for an original Cali VM4 (Fender style) with the reverse P pick up? I have posted in the wanted section a few times with no joy. Cheers.

9 minutes ago, DJ '65 said:

I hope I’m not breaking any rules by posting this, but can anyone point me in the direction of either a black or tort guard for an original Cali VM4 (Fender style) with the reverse P pick up? I have posted in the wanted section a few times with no joy. Cheers.

Have you tried Bass Direct at all?

Edited by Old Horse Murphy