Why become a member? ×

Backbeat

Twigman

• 4 months later...

Just got the G2. It’s fantastic - nice form, tighter rumble, zero feedback which made the G1 a problem at higher settings and nice upgrades for usbc charging and simple cable arrangement. Impressed!

• Like 7

On 27/02/2023 at 13:11, Woodinblack said:

Just tried it on mine. the back beat does vibrate to the aux in and the aux level doesn't appear to be affected in any way by whether or not the bass or output are plugged in and/or playing.

I have two Backbeats.  The first was a very early one which died, it wouldn't charge.  After many emails back and forth I was able to buy a replacement board from their dealer in Netherlands.  Before he sent it he asked me whether I wanted "rumble on the aux in" as apparently there is a mod which removes it.  I asked him to leave it on.  Please don't ask what the mod is because I have no idea.  

On 29/06/2023 at 10:01, ped said:

Just got the G2. It’s fantastic - nice form, tighter rumble, zero feedback which made the G1 a problem at higher settings and nice upgrades for usbc charging and simple cable arrangement. Impressed!

Need to see photos Chris, especially the cable.

Here you go @obbm 

As you can see I’ve attached a loose loop for the cable to go through near the bottom strap pin like I used to with my previous arrangement. It has to be fairly open to allow the plug to come through if I want to use the unit on another strap (but can’t until I get a second attachment plate (which isn’t economical to have sent from the USA - I’ll see if anyone else wants to arrange a group buy). 

The cable is quite thin, but as I understand the signal only goes up that to the unit; the actual signal of the instrument goes out of the two way plug. It’s a bit long (I can’t imagine anyone needing it to be that long) so a shorter custom job would be interesting to pursue or I could have this one shortened once I’m set with where the pack sits. 

The plug itself might pose problems on basses with recessed jacks. It works well with my two but the cable that you plug into it really clicks in quite tight so removing it by pulling might put some strain on a jack. I instead remove the plug before taking the lead out. 

At the unit end the fit is really neat - again, at the moment it’s quite hard to take the cable out but I shouldn’t really need to do that. 

USB charging is fast and easy, it’s also nice having the battery level. 

I’m looking forward to the app for adjusting the rumble. It seems like there’s a slight roll off of the higher end at the moment, perhaps less even than the G1, but that will allegedly be adjustable. 

It’s much lighter and less fiddly than the G1. I haven’t used the headphone and aux function yet as I don’t need it but will give it a whirl - apparently it’s not very loud and a bit noisy. 

IMG_6152.jpeg

IMG_6153.jpeg

IMG_6154.jpeg

IMG_6155.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Hmm - is that your plug or theirs? Wouldn't like to see that going into an ibby SR!

Theirs, it’s the one it comes with. You’d probably have to use a small extension for it to work. Suits me like this but it certainly won’t suit everyone. However you can instead run a cable of your own into the ‘in’ and there’s a 1/4” ‘out’ on the unit which you can use like the old version if you don’t want to/can’t split the signal at the jack which is quite a neat way to do it imo, it avoids having two cables running up to the unit. 

23 hours ago, ped said:

As you can see I’ve attached a loose loop for the cable to go through near the bottom strap pin like I used to with my previous arrangement. It has to be fairly open to allow the plug to come through if I want to use the unit on another strap (but can’t until I get a second attachment plate (which isn’t economical to have sent from the USA - I’ll see if anyone else wants to arrange a group buy). 

I'd be up for a group buy. I need a spare plate or two.

Just paid the customs duty on my second G2 which will be delivered next week - It will be going straight up for sale as soon as it arrives. A change in circumstances means I no longer need a second one. Anyone who is after one can skip the wait and the import duty etc bringing one in from the US - Box will be still sealed and absolutely new. PM me.

• Like 1

I bought a Backbeat v1 on eBay last week specifically for my gig last night - IEMs, no monitoring or amps, a stupid 75dB volume limit. I can see it being an expensive toy I use once or twice a year tbh…

It was great fun but reading through this about the feedback, that was definitely something I need to learn to tame. And the wire management was a bit nuts…

Bass into Backbeat, into wireless 

Wireless IEM receiver into Backbeat then earphones out.

Do most people just use it with their bass and keep the IEM mix as a separate thing?

2 hours ago, Merton said:

I bought a Backbeat v1 on eBay last week specifically for my gig last night - IEMs, no monitoring or amps, a stupid 75dB volume limit. I can see it being an expensive toy I use once or twice a year tbh…

It was great fun but reading through this about the feedback, that was definitely something I need to learn to tame. And the wire management was a bit nuts…

Bass into Backbeat, into wireless 

Wireless IEM receiver into Backbeat then earphones out.

Do most people just use it with their bass and keep the IEM mix as a separate thing?

IEM mix is separate for me. Bass -> Backbeat -> Wireless. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woodyratm said:

I’d love to use my backbeat more, but the fear of the thing swinging and battering the bass filled me with constant fear! 

Not to mention trying to remember which was in and which was out!

Yeah that was a slight flaw with the old one. The new one is a lot lighter and less like a medieval flail. Also in/out is handled by a single cable which is a lot neater. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woodyratm said:

I’d love to use my backbeat more, but the fear of the thing swinging and battering the bass filled me with constant fear! 

Not to mention trying to remember which was in and which was out!

Those were my most usual problems, as I did swing and battering a bass with it. Also changing it from one bass to another. For me it seemed like something that would be better if you just had one bass, or one per backbeat so it could be constantly wired, connected and covered with something to prevent damage.

1 hour ago, ped said:

Yeah that was a slight flaw with the old one. The new one is a lot lighter and less like a medieval flail. Also in/out is handled by a single cable which is a lot neater. 

Ohh reading it just now. 70% lighter and made of ABS vs the aluminium? 

I’m tempted to order. Only concern is that cable. I’ve moved to Dingwalls and not sure how it would sit with the cable input being where it is. Probs would need to point towards me, or towards audience. The design they seem to have had first would have been awesome. 

My G2 finally arrived yesterday (preordered in August '22, shipped in late June). Interestingly the postman just gave it to me without giving me a bill to pay for any taxes despite the big sticker saying "this item cannot be delivered until taxes are paid in full", so I'll probably get an invoice later, but everytime I've had to pay taxes they've charged me first... we'll see.

First impressions are mixed. It seems to make a huge difference where you put the unit, so I'll have to investigate. So far, I see to prefer it on my waist (on the back, hooked to my belt), and it's easy to operate without looking at the controls. It's definitely a cool experience, but I'm not sure I would have bought it, at the price it sells for, if I had tried it first. I'll experiment more with the location of the unit before I decide how much I like it.

I haven't used the cable provided, using two cables is simple enough and their cable looks a bit flimsy to me. I've got a short cable from the bass to the unit on my back, and then a longer cable to a Zoom B6 -> mixer -> headphones. Cables out of the way, that's not a problem. My plan is to use a headphone amp as well, for IEM, so belt-mount seems like a good place to have it.   

I think I would really like for the app to be available soon, to tweak the response of the unit. It works great with a Precision, but with the Stingray I would like a bit more vibration on the higher notes. 

Cool unit, just not as amazing as I was thinking it would be. Probably I was expecting too much from a tiny coil attached to my body.

• Like 2

On 04/07/2023 at 14:38, woodyratm said:

Ohh reading it just now. 70% lighter and made of ABS vs the aluminium? 

I’m tempted to order. Only concern is that cable. I’ve moved to Dingwalls and not sure how it would sit with the cable input being where it is. Probs would need to point towards me, or towards audience. The design they seem to have had first would have been awesome. 

You don't need to use their cable. Use a small cable from the bass to the unit, and then a normal one from the unit to amp/whatever and it'll work just fine.