Why become a member? ×

D'addario EXL170

dmccombe7

Few months back i decided to move from D'addario EXL190 nickel strings to DR Sunbeams after reading many reviews and a lot of praise for them.

They were ok but didn't seem to last any longer than the EXL190's and to me the tone was quite similar. Probably the most noticeable difference for me was the string tension was less.

Cheapest i could get was £32 for the DR's so not cheap by anyone's standards. 

Thought i would go back to my D'addario's but having read a few reviews i thought i would try the EXL170's with 45, 65, 80, 100 gauge rather than the 40, 60, 80, 100 on the EXL190's. They gave a far more balanced tone across the strings and couldn't believe the difference. What i found with the 190's was the D & G string was quite twangy compared to the E & A whereas the 170's seemed to have an even spread as you moved across the strings from E to G. They don't have the twang of the 190's but i'm loving the more even tone.

The EXL170's only cost £18

Not a big issue but thought i would mention it for those thinking about changing strings soon as i've nearly always used 40-100 gauge. Just goes to show you're never too old to learn or too old to change. xD

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

I'm currently in a similar position, considering a return to D'addario 165's. Just finding my gigging Flats a bit lacking in dynamics.

Always found D'addario's to be reasonably priced and well rounded, tone-wise.

On Amazon, I did notice the Rotosound RB45 nickels are under £13 a set.....not sure if that's too good to be true, or how they'd compare to my old D'addario faves....?

I’ve used the EXL 170’s for maybe 20 years or more. Tried other stuff but always come back to them.

In all that time never had a duff string either. For me they feel spot on, and sound well balanced.

Last a reasonably long time too, and the two pack sets are usually the best price wise.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, casapete said:

Last a reasonably long time too, and the two pack sets are usually the best price wise.

This was my first time using the 170's rather than 190's and fair pleased with them.  Now that i know they are so good i'll look at the twin packs next time around.

I'm using them on my Jazz bass. I can see them having more effect on my PJ bass.

4 hours ago, ahpook said:

Very happy - great sound and lovely feel.

That's the other big difference i noted was that the D'addario's have a smoother feel and not as hard on my wee delicate finger tips xD

There are just some things in life that just seem right for you when you come across them. Same with my Jazz. It always seems to be just about right for what i do. The EXL170's have that same effect in my opinion of course.

Dave

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

That's the other big difference i noted was that the D'addario's have a smoother feel and not as hard on my wee delicate finger tips xD

Absolutely, couldn't agree more. And so much kinder to frets too.....^_^

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 18:23, spongebob said:

I'm currently in a similar position, considering a return to D'addario 165's. Just finding my gigging Flats a bit lacking in dynamics.

Always found D'addario's to be reasonably priced and well rounded, tone-wise.

On Amazon, I did notice the Rotosound RB45 nickels are under £13 a set.....not sure if that's too good to be true, or how they'd compare to my old D'addario faves....?

I've used XL165s since 1979 and have loved them

Recently put Roto RB45s on my SX Jazz and they have more mid punch than the D'Adds, I really like em, not sure of longevity yet

A few months ago I put Chromes on my MIM Jazz and liked the sound so put the med gauge Chromes on my MIA P as well. Not sure if I like flats or rounds more now, stuck on the fence. I've heard a lot of players record with flats for less finger noise but use rounds live. Makes sense. I'm leaning towards this so have one P with flats,one with rounds and the same with my two jazz basses.

THAT'S why we need at least 4 basses :)

Edited by bazzbass
  • Haha 1

Over the years I've used strings by pretty much every manufacturer and I don't mind D'Addarios, they're cheapish but lack any real longevity (unless dead strings is your thing).  It's a false economy though, just switch to Elixir Nanowebs; I've had a set on one of my basses for 14 months and they still sound fresher than a two week old set of D'Addarios.

40 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Over the years I've used strings by pretty much every manufacturer and I don't mind D'Addarios, they're cheapish but lack any real longevity (unless dead strings is your thing).  It's a false economy though, just switch to Elixir Nanowebs; I've had a set on one of my basses for 14 months and they still sound fresher than a two week old set of D'Addarios.

My Warwick Thumb and Overwater custom 6 fretless have Elixir strings on them but i find the tension is a little tight more so on the Warwick. I guess i could get used to that However i've also noticed that i pick up noise on some basses as if i have a dodgy earth system on the bass. I've put that down to the coating on them. If i put non coated on its perfect. If i touch the bridge the buzz stops. Don't quite understand why tho.

Dave

13 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

My Warwick Thumb and Overwater custom 6 fretless have Elixir strings on them but i find the tension is a little tight more so on the Warwick. I guess i could get used to that However i've also noticed that i pick up noise on some basses as if i have a dodgy earth system on the bass. I've put that down to the coating on them. If i put non coated on its perfect. If i touch the bridge the buzz stops. Don't quite understand why tho.

Dave

Never experienced any grounding issues using Elixirs.  That's a weird one though as the core and ball-end of the string is exposed, so dependent on your bridge type the ball/core should allow contact with the metal, rather than the coated area.  Maybe the Warwick (two part bridge) needs grounding to both bridge elements.

In my 30+ year sojourn in bass, I've never questioned any of those points that so many people raise.  Nut width, neck radius (which is right misnomer as most bass necks taper), string tension, neck dive (shudder), weight, electrics, pickups and so on.  Sure it's nice to have decent gear, but so long as the bass intonates and the action is nice and rattly, that does it for me.

I love these strings (D'addario EXL190) and have recently gone back to them after another stint on cheapo Rotos. I've also used the 45.65.80.100 sets and these work for me too. I prefer less tension and a softer feel on the fingers and these are just great for that. I'm using a jazz bass and I think the tone is better when I'm using the D'addarios. Weather anyone else notices isn't as important to me. I hear and feel the difference and play better as a result so I'm happy.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Never experienced any grounding issues using Elixirs.  That's a weird one though as the core and ball-end of the string is exposed, so dependent on your bridge type the ball/core should allow contact with the metal, rather than the coated area.  Maybe the Warwick (two part bridge) needs grounding to both bridge elements.

In my 30+ year sojourn in bass, I've never questioned any of those points that so many people raise.  Nut width, neck radius (which is right misnomer as most bass necks taper), string tension, neck dive (shudder), weight, electrics, pickups and so on.  Sure it's nice to have decent gear, but so long as the bass intonates and the action is nice and rattly, that does it for me.

Good point about the ball end being earthed so that now confuses me even more xD I think it might have been my Jazz bass i tried them on.

6 hours ago, bassjim said:

I love these strings (D'addario EXL190) and have recently gone back to them after another stint on cheapo Rotos. I've also used the 45.65.80.100 sets and these work for me too. I prefer less tension and a softer feel on the fingers and these are just great for that. I'm using a jazz bass and I think the tone is better when I'm using the D'addarios. Weather anyone else notices isn't as important to me. I hear and feel the difference and play better as a result so I'm happy.

Which Rotos did you use? I use 66s but they just don’t last so have been looking for alternatives, worried the EXLs will be too bright.

I used the old RB 40 and RB 45 nickel. Cheap as you like. I have a one gig/weekends gigs = one set of stings mindset so £12.00 per gig/weekends worth of gigs. They just needed to do the gig/ weekend and then on to the next set the following week, so longevity is never part of my requirements. 

I find the D'addario strings don't really last any more or less than the rotos and if its a sweaty hot gig then I'll kill either brand  in a night no problem!:biggrin:

But IMO the extra £5.00 or so for the D'addario strings is worth it I think for all the reasons already stated. If I'm feeling poor then I'll go back to Rotos but as a preference its the D'addarios for me. I also  think about what any string is like to play when its dead and mucky. The D'addrios retain all their playability and stay comfortable.

Its when they start boosting prices based on whatever cow poop they feel is acceptable and it goes over the £20.00 price point that I start leaning back to the cheapys, which is what happened with me  last time, hence I'm recently back with the D'addarios.

For a longer lasting string I have found that I have to either embrace the compromises with a stiffer feel or dont do it. If you are a player thats after that higher tension then ok its a good choice.. Personally I'd rather have the lower tension. I too tried the DRs but wasn't wowed enough to warrant the high price tag. If I got em' for free I'd use em' no problem but as a weekend warrior £25.00 is the limit for me.

I think the brightness could also be described as presence? maybe its one of those things that you only can really tell when its you thats playing them and in the circumstances you are in. I play mostly funk, soul, pop and disco covers, don't use a pick, just fingers and slap a bit,  and they work really well for me.

Edited by bassjim

13 hours ago, T-Bay said:

Which Rotos did you use? I use 66s but they just don’t last so have been looking for alternatives, worried the EXLs will be too bright.

As mentioned in other threads on here, Legacy Nickel Wounds are the same as Rotosound Rotos, and a bit cheaper too.

Rotos are the only strings I've ever used by Rotosound that I can get on with.

1 hour ago, bassjim said:

I used the old RB 40 and RB 45 nickel. Cheap as you like. I have a one gig/weekends gigs = one set of stings mindset so £12.00 per gig/weekends worth of gigs. They just needed to do the gig/ weekend and then on to the next set the following week, so longevity is never part of my requirements. 

I find the D'addario strings don't really last any more or less than the rotos and if its a sweaty hot gig then I'll kill either brand  in a night no problem!:biggrin:

Wow a set of strings every weekend gig / gigs. Mine last about 2 months before i start to notice a major deterioration and that's me playing weekly rehearsals or gigs and playing a minimum of 1-2 hrs a day at home.

I'm not an energetic bassist and therefore don't hand sweat much. 

At the very least i would change at a month if i thought i needed that little bit of extra twang for a special gig or even an audition but typically 2mths for me.

Dave

I've used both the nickel and steel XLs on 5 and 6 string basses, 45-100 with the 130 B and 32 high C. I prefer the nickels, I really like the tension and tone. The steels are also interesting - they're extremely bright and they stay that way for a very long time, much longer than the nickels. They also have a much higher tension, which may or may not be a good thing. 

14 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Wow a set of strings every weekend gig / gigs. Mine last about 2 months before i start to notice a major deterioration and that's me playing weekly rehearsals or gigs and playing a minimum of 1-2 hrs a day at home.

I'm not an energetic bassist and therefore don't hand sweat much. 

At the very least i would change at a month if i thought i needed that little bit of extra twang for a special gig or even an audition but typically 2mths for me.

Dave

I keep a log of string changes (OCD or what....) and mine work out at around 2 monthly intervals too, after which I feel

they've had their best. If funds allowed I would definitely change them more often . 

Interestingly, the EXL's on my Dano Longhorn don't get changed as often as my Fender. Think it's because the 

'deadness' of the older strings seems to suit the instrument / band more. Quite handy as the short scale ones

are often harder to obtain / more expensive than the regular EXL's. Have thought about some flats for it too at some point.:)

20 minutes ago, casapete said:

I keep a log of string changes (OCD or what....) and mine work out at around 2 monthly intervals too, after which I feel

they've had their best. If funds allowed I would definitely change them more often . 

Interestingly, the EXL's on my Dano Longhorn don't get changed as often as my Fender. Think it's because the 

'deadness' of the older strings seems to suit the instrument / band more. Quite handy as the short scale ones

are often harder to obtain / more expensive than the regular EXL's. Have thought about some flats for it too at some point.:)

I usually keep the new box and date it with whatever bass i use them on.  I usually wait until i notice the strings have reached a point that i can hear a significant loss of tone.

Just seems to be around the 2month mark but that would be an average.

My Precison deluxe has gone 3mths on same strings but i don't use it as often.

Dave

On 16/04/2018 at 13:50, NancyJohnson said:

Never experienced any grounding issues using Elixirs.  That's a weird one though as the core and ball-end of the string is exposed, so dependent on your bridge type the ball/core should allow contact with the metal, rather than the coated area.

I think what happens is that the player no longer becomes part of the ground on those basses... If touching a metal part (bridge) quietens the beast, then that's why coated strings are noisier. It probably means you could do something to improve the grounding on that bass.