Why become a member? ×

Viola

Yank

I used to play the violin. Played from age 6 till 13. All the theory that I learned back then had helped me throughout my musical life.

I still have the violin that my dad bought for himself (he started learning the same time as me, the teacher was a rotary club member) and I am now nearly 50.

Shame it wasn't bass guitar we learned!!

Yes,  the viola not the viola bass,  which is a bass,  not a viola.  If the upright is a double bass,  that must make the cello the bass,  which might make the viola a half bass.  It sounds really lush backing up singer songwriter type songs.

1 hour ago, neilp said:

How do you prevent your violin being stolen?

Put it in a viola case

Sorry. I love the viola, and viola players are the salt of the earth, but there are so many great viola jokes

I like that. Very adaptable to other instruments as well. 'm going to steal it

Played in a folk band at college with a viola player about 30 years ago. Had great fun - she doubled (tripled?) on accordion and recorder though not at the same time. Came across some old recordings and stuck them up on Soundcloud the other week... Here ya go if you fancy a listen/laugh!

On April 4, 2018 at 05:04, Yank said:

Starting to play my viola again.  Curious if anyone else plays and maybe adds it in at a gig here and there.  Such a beautiful sound.

I don't play, but our trio is viola (and violin), keyboards, and elec. bass. We play jazz standards and other newer standards like Song for My Father, Blue Bossa, How Insensitive, Footprints, How Deep is the Ocean, etc. The viola usually takes the lead and has a sound that, esp. in its deepest register, has the quality of a saxophone--the voice is great. Works well for us. Good luck with yours.