Why become a member? ×

Bruce Foxton

molan

I love Foxton but I have to say I much prefer his Rick sound (I know, I'm biased!). On the Complete Jam dvd there is some live gig footage with the Rics and they sound tremendous (although not so keen on the tone of the Mapleglo).

[quote name='Faithless' post='334464' date='Nov 22 2008, 03:40 PM']With a decent respect to Bruce's fans, I've gotta say that his P sound on that video.. Dunno, it just doesn't do the trick for me.

Ok, I'm getting my coat.[/quote]

Edited by 4000

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='334440' date='Nov 22 2008, 02:58 PM']Yeah, I remember one of the first live TV appearances....on The Tube (or its replacement) doing "Long Hot Summer" and "The Paris Match" and he played an Aria.

I'm sure in an old book I had of them, there's a photo of Weller playing an old violin bass methinks when they were a 4 piece.[/quote]

Weller played an Aria Pro II SB1000 and SB900 at different stages with The Style Council. There's also footage of him playing a Fender Jazz.

The violin bass is credited as both being a Hofner and a Hoffmann - so, whether it was an original Hofner or a copy, I'm not sure. But it was his main instrument when he was the bass player with The Jam.

As for Foxton, it was The Tube where he can be seen using an SB1000.. Apart from the main black/maple Precision he used live and in the studio, he also used a sunburst/rosewood and natural/rosewood Precisions, a large selection of Rickenbacker 4001 and 4003 models, some Epiphone semi-solids, as well as a MusicMan Stingray.

Bruce Foxton was a massive influence on me in my early days on bass.

Bruce using an Epi doing 'Start'. Not a good recording on YT but unmistakably his tone regardless of the fact that I wouldn't have imagined that the Epi was the bass he recorded Start with! :)

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy3Qpi_XfDA&feature=related"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy3Qpi_XfDA&...feature=related[/url]

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='334517' date='Nov 22 2008, 05:38 PM']Bruce using an Epi doing 'Start'. Not a good recording on YT but unmistakably his tone regardless of the fact that I wouldn't have imagined that the Epi was the bass he recorded Start with! :)[/quote]

Totally. Also in the A Town Called Malice video - a cream Epiphone. Think those were "for the image only" moments.

In fact, with all the Rickenbacker knowledge abounding on this site, and in this post, does anyone know if the 4000 series Foxton is using in the Precious video is stock? I've always been a bit puzzled by the colour, the mirrored pickguard and, to me, what looks like a non-standard nameplate.

[quote name='walbassist' post='334397' date='Nov 22 2008, 01:35 PM']I was gigging in Guildford one night about ten years ago when Mr Foxton walked into the pub. Funnily enough, we were in the middle of an acoustic set and we were playing "Tube Station" as he came in!

Anyway, he stood at the back of the pub and watched us until we finished our set. Then he came over, bought us all a beer, and sat with us 'til we had to go back on. He was a really nice guy, very modest and unassuming, and it was a pleasure to talk to him.

I've seen him a few times since around and about and he still remembers me each time. Top chap.[/quote]

Great story! It's always a nice thing when your favourite players turn out to be genuinely decent guys.

[quote]Weller's frustration with Foxton's playing concerned feel and looseness[/quote]

Weird that. First things you notice about Foxton's style are melodic structure and gnat's-chuff tightness. So if Weller wanted 'feel' and 'loose', why did he work with Foxton for so long? In reality, Foxton carried the songs - listen to the live recordings and Weller's guitar is basically blarting around on blocky chords - all the melody comes from the bass.

...and Foxton doubles (and harmonises) most of the vocals....almost to the extent that Weller's further back in the mix than F.

No wonder 'From The Jam' sound...er...[i]right[/i]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='334702' date='Nov 23 2008, 02:22 AM']Weird that. First things you notice about Foxton's style are melodic structure and gnat's-chuff tightness. So if Weller wanted 'feel' and 'loose', why did he work with Foxton for so long? In reality, Foxton carried the songs - listen to the live recordings and Weller's guitar is basically blarting around on blocky chords - all the melody comes from the bass.

...and Foxton doubles (and harmonises) most of the vocals....almost to the extent that Weller's further back in the mix than F.

No wonder 'From The Jam' sound...er...[i]right[/i][/quote]

Very true - perhaps the legacy of originally being a guitarist. And not forgetting that Foxton took lead vocals on several songs, including singles (three A-sides).

Between April 77 and November 82, The Jam recorded and released six albums and nineteen singles (A-sides of nine of which were not included on albums). By today’s standards that’s a remarkable output. Weller was 18 when he signed to Polydor, and his musical development took place in public.

By the time of the release of Sound Affects, Weller was disillusioned with the confines of a three piece. He was dissatisfied with the group’s attempts to expand its sound on tracks such as Music For The Last Couple - notably a band co-write - and his influences were moving: encountering the emerging Brit Funk movement and rediscovering Northern Soul. He didn’t believe that either Foxton or Buckler were capable of expanding their playing - being critical of Foxton’s attempts to incorporate slapping techniques, which he felt were mechanical. Indeed, he was particularly critical of both Foxton’s and Buckler’s playing on certain cuts included on The Gift, even going as far as to suggest that the album should be delayed for him to rework these songs.

In essence it’s a variation on the old story of musical differences.

Fascinating thread folks; I've learnt loads here I didn't know about from the early days of The Jam and about what happened subsequently so thanks for that...

IMO. although Paul Weller has done loads of great stuff since The Jam days, I think he'll be most remembered for that amazing era when the band was so hugely successful.

What saddens me though is that is that there must have been something very special about the chemistry between the three members of the band that made them so distictive, a bit like The Police for example. And that factor always seem to get overlooked when they fall out with each other and move onto different phases in their musical careers.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='334926' date='Nov 23 2008, 02:58 PM']Fascinating thread folks; I've learnt loads here I didn't know about from the early days of The Jam and about what happened subsequently so thanks for that...

IMO. although Paul Weller has done loads of great stuff since The Jam days, I think he'll be most remembered for that amazing era when the band was so hugely successful.

What saddens me though is that is that there must have been something very special about the chemistry between the three members of the band that made them so distictive, a bit like The Police for example. And that factor always seem to get overlooked when they fall out with each other and move onto different phases in their musical careers.[/quote]

Band chemistry works in strange ways. The fractious environment of members not quite getting on can really add energy and inspire some very creative moments. Obviously the converse can be true and harmonious environments can be conducive to the creation of great music.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='334963' date='Nov 23 2008, 04:20 PM']Band chemistry works in strange ways. The fractious environment of members not quite getting on can really add energy and inspire some very creative moments. Obviously the converse can be true and harmonious environments can be conducive to the creation of great music.[/quote]
It's a very interesting point John and I tend to believe that over the years, more great music has been created by bands/artists/writers when there is an element of what you call 'the fractious environment of members not quite getting on'

Being a fan of Roxy Music, I was always fascinated by the well-documented 'creative tension' that existed between Bryan Ferry and Brian Eno in their early years. Many fans, me included, would say it helped inspire the band's best work.

There's lots of similar stories about The Beatles along these lines too...

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='334990' date='Nov 23 2008, 04:57 PM']It's a very interesting point John and I tend to believe that over the years, more great music has been created by bands/artists/writers when there is an element of what you call 'the fractious environment of members not quite getting on'

Being a fan of Roxy Music, I was always fascinated by the well-documented 'creative tension' that existed between Bryan Ferry and Brian Eno in their early years. Many fans, me included, would say it helped inspire the band's best work.

There's lots of similar stories about The Beatles along these lines too...[/quote]

Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey...Glen Matlock and the other Pistols...

I just got a copy of the new FTJ DVD, a First Class Return. Well worth a listen, I got to see the band on a good few dates last year and as a result, the booklet accompanying the new DVD is full of my photos (not all mine, but a good selection are)
Photos aside, I enjoyed every gig I went to and will be around at a few of this years dates, not sure which yet, at least 3, maybe 4

The DVD is well worth a punt though!

... check out the photos too ;-)

Tony

[quote name='sshorepunk' post='335058' date='Nov 23 2008, 06:24 PM']I enjoyed every gig I went to and will be around at a few of this years dates, not sure which yet, at least 3, maybe 4
Tony[/quote]
Will you be at Norwich Tony? If so, come and find me after and we'll have a pint. Also, we are after someone to do some photographs during our set. PM me if interested.
Cheers,
Jamie.

[quote name='tombboy' post='335079' date='Nov 23 2008, 06:50 PM']Will you be at Norwich Tony? If so, come and find me after and we'll have a pint. Also, we are after someone to do some photographs during our set. PM me if interested.
Cheers,
Jamie.[/quote]

Unfortunately that will be one of the gigs I wont be at, probably Liverpool, Leeds, Birmungham and Hammersmith!

Tony

fantastic bass player! it was an absolute pleasure watching him team up with and buy into SLF, I'm a huge fan of SLF Bruce was a natural successor to Ali McMordie and did a great job - good luck to him in all his ventures...

Edited by andy67

I only saw SLF once with Bruce, that was in '96 when the Sex Pistols played Finsbury park, probably one of the best gigs I've ever been too!

Seen SLF a few times recently, great band, good to see Ali back with the guys.

I grew up listening to SLF, The Jam and a whole load of punk / new wave bands, SLF were probably one of my favourites, so you can imagine how cool it was to be invited to photograph the band and, at the last gig I went to, meet the band and take some promo shots for next years tour!

Bruce signed one of my photos last year, it now takes pride of place on the wall in my music room, I get to shoot a lot of bands, but don't do the signing photo thing very often!

Tony

[quote name='molan' post='334191' date='Nov 22 2008, 12:33 AM']There's a period when he switched to playing the black Fender P with a maple neck live (although still sometimes using a Ricky for music vids & TV appearances) when he just had a great bass sound. Sounds a bit like a Ricky with the clanky top end but with a bit more depth. I love the sound of his bass on songs like Tube Station.

I have to admit that I have no idea what he actually used on the recordings but there's quite a few live vids showing him with the P so it definitely seems to be his favourite gigging bass from this period.

Sound on this vid isn't the best but gives an idea of what I'm rattling on about :[/quote]

WOW, i was going to start a thread asking about when he switched from playing a Rick. I didnt know this thread was going. nice one.

My Weller tribute band is starting up again, i think this time we are going to try and make a go of it and i have been thinking, this time around i have a P (my Duck Dunn if its not sold by the time we start) and how much better its going to sound rather than the Jazz i used last year. While the Jazz if fine (spot on in fact) for the solo stuff its the Jam sound that people still remember most.
After seeing PW in concert the other night on BBC4 with his new band i love the tone of the Rick even more on the PW solo stuff but cant afford one. I know a lot of the Jam stuff was P anyway but wasn't sure exactly when Bruce changed over.
I never knew he played an Aria though. Bugger, that complicates things even more.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='335608' date='Nov 24 2008, 04:14 PM']WOW, i was going to start a thread asking about when he switched from playing a Rick. ... I never knew he played an Aria though. Bugger, that complicates things even more.[/quote]

Foxton never switched, as such. You'll see him using the trademark black/maple Precision from All Mod Cons onwards, but he also regularly used Rickenbackers (in the Going Underground, Tales From the Riverbank and Precious videos, and on the promotional tour in support of Sound Affects) - and has been mentioned a MusicMan Stingray (some studio shots from the recording sessions for Sound Affects), some Epiphones (in the Start and A Town Called Malice videos, mumerous TV appearances, and on the promotional tour in support of The Gift), as well as an Aria SB1000 (most notably for The Jam's appearance on the first ever The Tube). And, again, we're glossing over the Ibanez Rickenbacker copy (way back on In The City).