Why become a member? ×

Bruce Foxton

molan

[quote name='noelk27' post='335853' date='Nov 24 2008, 09:49 PM']Foxton never switched, as such. You'll see him using the trademark black/maple Precision from All Mod Cons onwards, but he also regularly used Rickenbackers (in the Going Underground, Tales From the Riverbank and Precious videos, and on the promotional tour in support of Sound Affects) - and has been mentioned a MusicMan Stingray (some studio shots from the recording sessions for Sound Affects), some Epiphones (in the Start and A Town Called Malice videos, mumerous TV appearances, and on the promotional tour in support of The Gift), as well as an Aria SB1000 (most notably for The Jam's appearance on the first ever The Tube). And, again, we're glossing over the Ibanez Rickenbacker copy (way back on In The City).[/quote]

Yeah, after reading this thread it sounds like his trademark was his playing and not his Rick as a lot of people seem to think. I do think he managed to get them all to sound pretty close though (could just be my old ears playing tricks)

I used to get people coming up to me and mentioning that while it sounded great i should be using a Rick and not a Jazz.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='335865' date='Nov 24 2008, 10:02 PM']Yeah, after reading this thread it sounds like his trademark was his playing and not his Rick as a lot of people seem to think. I do think he managed to get them all to sound pretty close though (could just be my old ears playing tricks)

I used to get people coming up to me and mentioning that while it sounded great i should be using a Rick and not a Jazz.[/quote]

As people always say, it's in the hands.

Jazz though; now, that's a bass I've never seen him playing.

[quote name='noelk27' post='335963' date='Nov 25 2008, 12:23 AM']As people always say, it's in the hands.

Jazz though; now, that's a bass I've never seen him playing.[/quote]

He does use another bass on tour, I forgot which tracks, possibly Start, can't remember the bass though, I have pictures somewhere, I need to dig them out as I'm sure the maker of this bass wanted some!
Someone may know what it is? I'll e-mail the guys and ask today

I had a good listen to the new DVD at weekend, once I'd stopped staring at the booklet that contains my photo's! It's well worth checking out, the guys are really on top form.

A bit of additional info, if any of you have seen Bernie Goodfellow at any shows recently, he has a guy with him with longish black hair, that's Bruces tech!

T

Edited by sshorepunk

[quote name='sshorepunk' post='335994' date='Nov 25 2008, 07:16 AM']He does use another bass on tour, I forgot which tracks, possibly Start, can't remember the bass though, I have pictures somewhere, I need to dig them out as I'm sure the maker of this bass wanted some!
Someone may know what it is? I'll e-mail the guys and ask today[/quote]
He uses one of those Waterstone semi-acoustics which is almost as big as him!!

When we were fortunate to see him at Water Rats studio he had the black/white/maple P Bass and the Waterstone thing.

I nearly cried when I saw him changing the strings on his P Bass. Something didn't seem right about it. I mean, come on....new strings on a P bass?? Some people are just weird I guess....

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

[quote name='noelk27' post='335963' date='Nov 25 2008, 12:23 AM']As people always say, it's in the hands.

Jazz though; now, that's a bass I've never seen him playing.[/quote]

For me it was play the Jazz or Lakland 55-01. Just felt the Jazz was better suited ;-)

Ive just ordered that DVD from Amazon, really looking forward to watching it. I think ill learn a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw From The Jam last night at Rock City, good gig all round. I really only know the 'best of' compilations so a lot of the stuff was new to me. As I usually see more 'involved' rock bands playing longer songs it's noticeable how much material they can belt through will minimal chat and a lot of songs probably under 3 mins! Foxton is still a quality player, still no sign of a ric though. They didn't play Eaton Rifles which surprised me, I'd have thought that was one of their biggest songs. I wondered if there are some jam tunes that are complete Weller creations and they don't have permission to perform them or something?

[quote name='KevB' post='351547' date='Dec 11 2008, 10:21 AM']I wondered if there are some jam tunes that are complete Weller creations and they don't have permission to perform them or something?[/quote]

Most Jam songs are solely credited to Weller - even songs like Town Called Malice, Start, or Tube Station, where the bass line drives the song. I think From The Jam did Eton Rifles when I saw them last year, so I doubt that is why its not in the set.

Coincidentally, Weller is currently playing Eton Rifles as part of the set on his solo tour, along with some of the old Jam stuff (Butterfly Collector, That's Entertainment and Town Called Malice).

[quote name='noelk27' post='334359' date='Nov 22 2008, 12:39 PM']With respect to the material up to, and including, Setting Sons, this is a reasonable point - and was the subject of litigation brought by Foxton and Buckler, an action that was settled out of court. For Sound Affects and The Gift, Weller recorded writing demos, where he would play all the parts. It's interesting to compare the different playing approaches of Foxton and Weller on the few commercially available tracks that both recorded bass parts for, and when you realise that Weller's frustration with Foxton's playing concerned feel and looseness. Also, listening to the very early Style Council singles highlights that Weller was a good bass player in his own right - which, given that Foxton was a guitarist before converting to bass with The Jam, makes you wonder if they wouldn't have been happier switching instruments.[/quote]

Interesting. Another fan of Foxton here. I also like his work in SLF but saw them recently with Ali McMordie back on bass and on reflection, he does them more justice than Foxton did, although it's a close run thing.

The Style Council point is interesting as Weller seemed to record a few things electrically then changed his mind and later recorded acoustic versions, which I truly believe sound better. A classic case in point is A Man of Great Promise, I think it was recorded on The Ones That Got Away but I first heard the acoustic version on Jools Holland when I was at school, I think that was in '95, found it recently on youtube...

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8oZW0mCkPqw"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8oZW0mCkPqw[/url]

Probably one of Weller's finest pieces of songwriting.

On the Jam side, I much prefer the punkier, spikier era, i.e. Billy Hunt, A Bomb in Wardour Street etc and would be interested if anyone knows what bass was used on these.

Cheers

AM

So did anyone else get to any of the FTJ gigs?

I did Liverpool and Sheffield, had to duck out of Leeds, will be in Birmingham at weekend, possibly London on Monday, but don't know if I can be arsed doing London so close to xmas. Got some good shots, I'll get a few online once I've cleared it with the band

Some new material in the set this time round and I hear a new album is on the cards. The new stuff retains the style and sound that fans will appreciate. I have close contact with these guys, so I'll let you know whats happening as I find out

Cheers

Tony

I'm glad to see Bruce and Rick out making a bit of dosh. Always thought they were shoddily treated by prima-donna Weller. Nothing he's done since has come close to what he achieved with The Jam. Classic case of a songwriter completely discounting the importance of the band as a whole.

Edited by rjb

+1 on being heavily influenced by Bruce's style: the power, aggression, upfront-in-the-mix, pick use, visuals, just about everything really. I still pop "tube station" style harmonics when no one is looking :)

Top player and after this I'll be going to see FTJ as soon as possible.

Re the OP.
That's just what P basses sound like if you play with twangy strings, a lot of attitude and a pick ... :huh:

[quote name='rjb' post='357549' date='Dec 18 2008, 08:53 AM']Nothing he's done since has come close to what he achieved with The Jam. Classic case of a songwriter completely discounting the importance of the band as a whole.[/quote]

Complete and utter b*llocks.

Did my last gig with FTJ last night, should have been going to hammersmith on Monday, after show and the works, but can't make it.

I'll get a few shots on line when I get time

The dates I've done with the band have been an absolute pleasure, think about it, I'm 43, so grew up listening to this stuff, and many years later I get full show access to shoot the band (normal is 3 songs) whenever I want. Bruce knows my face and at some point, always acknowledges me, which is nice!

last nights show was great, heavy crowd in Birmingham, a few more "crowd Surfers" than normal, also a bit quieter than previous gigs, but the band were on form. Bruce' sound and playing were spot on, P-bass with a plectrum through a Marshall stack, awesome sound!

A new song in the set is going to be a single, more info when I know myself, I'll also find out what they are planning for next year when I can

Tony