Why become a member? ×

Could you perform your current role on a Squier Bass ?

lojo

Could you perform your current role on a Squier Bass ?  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Could you perform your current role on a Squier Bass ?

• Yes
    • No

2 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

I didn't see this thread ending up as tense as it seems!

While we're at it then, surely all the upright bass comments are a bit pointless? If my current role was surfing 60-footers off Maui then I couldn't do it with a Squier bass, because I'd need a surfboard. The list of things Squier don't make is very long indeed, and surely irrelevant. xD

A fair point, but my current role is ironing laundry, and the Squier performs surprisingly well as an ironing board, provided you don't mind your clothes smelling faintly of melted nitro afterwards...

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

A fair point, but my current role is ironing laundry, and the Squier performs surprisingly well as an ironing board, provided you don't mind your clothes smelling faintly of melted nitro afterwards...

I didn't know Squier were offering  a cellulose finish option these days.

12 hours ago, discreet said:

Why do you say that? Is a Squier really that different to your current bass as to make it unplayable? :)

A lot of us would have sold our grandmothers for something the quality of a Squier when we started out. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, drTStingray said:

Sorry but I simply don't believe this - are you sure it was the basses? (I'll accept the lack of cloth ears - though I've played with plenty of half deaf guitarists and drummers in my time so I'm not but sure why bassists are exempt - even CLF himself was half deaf i understand).

Ah well - when we're all playing Squiers in a few years....... no doubt that's all that'll be left in production or worthy of playing when this viewpoint extends everywhere. 

Reminds me of the days we all drove Moskovitch and Trabants - because the powers that be thought they were perfectly adequate to get from A to B and everything else was an extravagant, decadent irrelevance - we're just showing off in our unnecessary Audis and Mercedes these days - after all who needs aircon, ABS etc etc - it's all irrelevant 😂😂

You can believe what you like.:D You can ask any studio engineer I've worked with about my ears and before you ask, yes, I've been told by most musicians I've met that I can play quite well actually, if not as well as I could before injuries started catching up with me. You seem to be labouring under the misapprehension that more expensive woods and electronics automatically make a better musical instrument. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. How many basses have you played? I've played thousands. Literally thousands, and hundreds of high-end basses. I've owned several custom built basses by Sei and Alembic and have owned Wals, Jaydees, early Warwicks, Statuses (Statii?), Spectors, all sorts of things. Of course none of that makes me the last word in bass knowledge and I wouldn't claim to be, but it certainly helps my perspective. And in my experience, a good musical instrument can come in at any price point - as can a bad one. It's also worth considering that what you consider a good musical instrument might not be what someone else considers a good musical instrument. And please let's not infer that anyone who doesn't think that high-end is always better is likely in some way inferior or incompetent as a musician, because we all know that's a load of hogwash. ;):biggrin: 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I would be interested to hear, as I’m sure the guys in Brooklyn would, as to how their product didn’t satisfy you. Are you sure some of your dislike isn’t down to personal preference rather than the instruments being deficient in areas where they should have excelled? All the Fodera’s I have played have been exceptional.

The area where I think a musical instrument should excel - sound - wasn't satisfied. Of course a lot of that is down to personal preference; that is entirely the point. 

For what it's worth, the problem with defining what makes a good musical instrument is that it's only good if it inspires art. Which means everyone could have different criteria. Whether it goes faster or not (to use the car analogy) is entirely irrelevant. Although if we are going to use car analogies, a Lamborghini might be better than a Citroen at going fast, but it's not better at carrying lots of people. Apply that to bass as you like. ;)

Edited by 4000

4 minutes ago, 4000 said:

...a good musical instrument can come in at any price point - as can a bad one. What you consider a good musical instrument might not be what someone else considers a good musical instrument. And let's not infer that anyone who doesn't think that high-end is always better is likely in some way inferior or incompetent as a musician, because we all know that's a load of hogwash...

Yes, yes, yes and yes.

9 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I certainly would. But to be fair, it would have done that for a lot less!

Yes, but you are talking about times past, when the market price for grandmothers was not what is today. I really think that has to be taken into account.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Yes, but you are talking about times past, when the market price for grandmothers was not what is today. I really think that has to be taken into account.

Actually I think you're onto something important here: there is clearly a link between the price of grandmothers and the quality of bass guitars. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Jus Lukin said:

So long as they're not newer models that have just been reliced to look like proper vintage grandmothers, I think it's fair.

On the rare occasions I venture into the nearest town (or any town, come to that) that seems to be all the rage these days.

2 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

I suppose on balance, it's their woman, they can do what they like with it! :ph34r:

You're obviously, right, but some of these amateur relicing jobs is going to seriously devalue their grandmothers should they ever decide to sell them.

7 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

So long as they're not newer models that have just been reliced to look like proper vintage grandmothers, I think it's fair.

Surely that only really applies to the use of fake tan, mainly in Essex / London borders?

There was some comments elsewhere about folk not really liking tobacco sunburst finishes, which I guess would be the same thing?

10 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Surely that only really applies to the use of fake tan, mainly in Essex / London borders?

There was some comments elsewhere about folk not really liking tobacco sunburst finishes, which I guess would be the same thing?

I'm not sure whether fake tan would be classed as relicing or refinishing.

But now you've reminded, me, I should have answered the OP with 'yes, so, long as the Squier has a sunburst finish' :)

Just now, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Well, IMHO, it doesn't make them awful instruments. You just didn't like the sound if them. All very subjective for such a sweeping statement. I don't believe I used a car analogy ¬¬

I'm confused. What has that got to do with the price of eggs grandmothers?