Why become a member? ×

Could you perform your current role on a Squier Bass ?

lojo

Could you perform your current role on a Squier Bass ?  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Could you perform your current role on a Squier Bass ?

• Yes
    • No

A Squier bass..? Eeeh, I dream of a Squier bass. My current go-to bass is a modded Harley Benton P strung with La Bellas. It sounds bloody great and is comfy as a pair of old slippers. Not that I play old slippers, or even wear them, but you know what I mean...

Nice to see all the Squier love. But it's pretty much the same as Fender love, imho.

What next..? Shall I start a thread on whether you could perform your current role with a 1990 Peavey TNT 160 Combo..?? :D

16 minutes ago, lojo said:

After catching up on this thread I now want to see Mark King apply his skills to a Squier and see what it sound like , of course it won't be the same as him using the hardware he has created over the years , but it would be interesting to hear.

I’d also like to see, and I’ll stand corrected if this is not the case, Marcus Miller putting his money where his mouth is and playing the Sire basses he helped design live at all his gigs. 

6 minutes ago, ianrendall said:

I’d also like to see, and I’ll stand corrected if this is not the case, Marcus Miller putting his money where his mouth is and playing the Sire basses he helped design live at all his gigs. 

I was going to be a smartarse and post a video of him playing a Sire bass at a gig, but I can't find one. :D

What gripes me about Squiers (other manufacturers do this, but I’ll use Fender as an example) is how they are marketed. 

To paraphrase, they are purported to be ‘the same great basses with the same great sound, playability and construction quality we have been making in America for years but at a budget price’. 

If that really is the case, Fender, then you shouldn’t have any problem putting an actual Fender logo on it then. The only indication you should need is a country of origin sticker. Either that or lower the prices of your main line instruments if you are claiming the Squiers are just as good. You are either overcharging for the MIAs or undercharging for the Squiers.

It’s all just marketing snobbery to make the player aspire to a ‘real’ Fender.

To make myself absolutely clear though, I would have no problem owning a Squier and I have done in the past. 

Edited by ianrendall

Picked up a VM jazz for £180 few weeks back,nice loud sound ,no daft buzzing at high volumes.Put an Allparts neck on purely for looks and its doing 3 gigs this weekend while my Sadowsky metro sits it out

Its 3tsb and its classic Zep stuff so the look fits fine

I played a jazz gig on a borrowed very cheap Aria bass a year or so ago. Bare in mind I’ve been playing 6 string basses for about 12 years now. So yes, my bands don’t have sets as such, I’m just given charts to read and play from, but I’d definitely be able to play a gig using such a bass. I’m a huge believer that it’s the player not the bass anyway.

With one band yes, no problem. 

With the other band,  no I couldn't. I play doublebass in that band. Too be fair I could play the set on a Squier but it just wouldn't sound right, especially when sliding. 

I haven't taken into account anything to do with double bass, different animal imo. 

Anything that can be played on a comparable like for like model like a five string jazz or a fretless P bass can be played on a Squier or a Fodera, it might sound a bit different but no more than the difference between two different high end basses. 

5 hours ago, lojo said:

After catching up on this thread I now want to see Mark King apply his skills to a Squier and see what it sound like , of course it won't be the same as him using the hardware he has created over the years , but it would be interesting to hear.

Just to reconfirm, this thread was not started to prove label snobbery or that anything could be done on a squier but rather to genuinely find out the limitations of the them 

He did something similar but on a Fender Jazz Mark King signature bass. He stopped playing it because it didn't do the Level 42 and Mark King thing. So I'd hazard a guess a Squier wouldn't do any better.

Flea had a similar dallying live with a Fender Jazz - soon dropped for something more aggressive.

I seem to recall a Mr Entwhistle took a similar route for similar reasons.     

It would seem that by current reckoning this forum is populated by 93% Fender with flats players - this is very 60s throw back!! But is that because only Fender lovers replied or only a large majority of Fender lovers frequent bass forums. I must admit I don't remember the last time Rickenbackers were referred to in a thread but I regularly see people using them.  I couldn't have imagined Chris Squire on a Squier because it wouldn't have made the right sound. 

22 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I bet some of you will be surprised to learn that I voted "yes".

It would have to be a 5-string as there are songs in both band's sets that require the low B string. Also it wouldn't be much fun to do it as I don't find the shape of either J or P basses very comfortable to play, but I could do it if I really had to.

Of course I'd also have to customise the body shape and finish to make it more interesting looking. And get rid of those horrible over-sized clunky machine heads...

Not very comfortable? Blimey..

I've played a two set gig with no drummer when he fell ill and the replacement was my right foot on the wooden stage floor. I reckon I could do a gig as a bass player on anything with at least one string. It wouldn't be perfect, but it would be better than cancelling. The less you've got, the simpler the music, but I reckon that at least 90% of the audience won't notice.

• Like 2