Why become a member? ×

Pound for pound, what's the best P bass?

rushscored4

1 hour ago, Deedee said:

Without wishing to hijack this thread, if you were wanting to try a Sandberg (a traditional P single pickup version) which model(s) would you go for?  The range seems pretty baffling to me but I would like to try one for myself.

Probably a hardcore aged California VM4 or a VT4 like this one:

https://goo.gl/images/q1YEJc

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rushscored4 said:

My only concern about buying a VM4 is that it's a similar pickup configuration to my TM4 so will I just be buying it for the P bass look instead of a J bass? I also prefer the previous VM shape and style to the latest model but I'd rather buy second hand anyway as I'm sure I 'lost' around a third (about £700) as soon as I walked out of the door at PMT Manchester with mine...

If you want a more traditional P bass, you would just go for a California VS. Completely different pickup combo top your TM. Also, if you were to order a new one to order you can specify whatever pickups you like, their black label pickups used on the nighthawk models are supposed to be excellent, less modern and more mid rangy (I've requested these on my new one). A lot of people who want a more traditional sound go for Haussel pickups, but you could choose pretty much whatever. Similarly if you were to buy a used VS, obviously you could switch the stock pickups. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, rushscored4 said:

Cheers Lozz, the sunburst '64 one on eBay for £2,495 is gorgeous. Does that seem like a decent price? It's not far from you in High Wycombe!

I`m not really that up on prices for CS models, though that`s around what the Pino Sig Precision goes for, and having played one of those, well def the best bass I`ve ever had the pleasure to play. Assume that the regular CS models will be equivalent.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rushscored4 said:

Cheers Lozz, the sunburst '64 one on eBay for £2,495 is gorgeous. Does that seem like a decent price? It's not far from you in High Wycombe!

I`m not really that up on prices for CS models, though that`s around what the Pino Sig Precision goes for, and having played one of those, well def the best bass I`ve ever had the pleasure to play. Assume that the regular CS models will be equivalent.

4 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Thanks Lozz. I love the Pino signature model but I've seen a few of them go for over £3k in the last year.

@Deedee The Sandberg "P" is called the VS.  I have one that gets a lot of use at gigs with my US Std P (I have one tuned to Eb and the other to E).  There used to be a passive VS in the original California series, this is a California II so slightly smaller body and thinner headstock.  It makes them very light, this one in particular is rather less than 8lbs.  I've changed the pickup to a Nordy NP4 and it passive mode it sounds great.  Active good too, fairly subtle but effective EQ.

Quick pic for you, note that this is a custom colour:

5a9908b743c76_VS401.thumb.jpg.76c8d4e4f20a5f2eb701ea7a5fe9f244.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Have you had a look at Moollon? I have noticed a lot of players with them on the internet and all really positive reviews. A few guys say they are as good if not better than the Pino. The headstocks can be a bit ‘marmite’ though. Search for them on Instagram if you have it.

There is a trans white Lakland on here that I would seriously consider if I was looking for  P bass too, the USA basses are insanely good.

Edited by NJE

10 hours ago, rushscored4 said:

There was one like that on Facebook before Xmas for £675 from someone not too far from me in Wigan. Doesn't appear to have been sold and he posted a new profile pic a few weeks ago of him playing the bass so maybe he thought better of it!

I messaged the seller and the Maruszczyk is still for sale so I'm going to see it as soon as the bad weather clears up!

Marusczyk 1.jpg

Marusczyk 2.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rushscored4 said:

I messaged the seller and the Maruszczyk is still for sale so I'm going to see it as soon as the bad weather clears up!

Marusczyk 1.jpg

Marusczyk 2.jpg

That’s the one! I couldn’t find it anywhere last night. Cool bass

5 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Re: the Fender RI's, I paid a grand for my Limelight. It's wonderful, and I got to spec it as I like.

I totally get the argument that resale will not be as strong as selling a used US RI. That can be negated by buying a used Limelight :-)

horiz.jpg

That's stunning mate, exactly what I'd like (the 60s look with clay dots and a tug bar) but in 3 Tone Sunburst, Olympic White or Fiesta Red (like the Pino) with a tort pickguard.

2 minutes ago, NJE said:

That’s the one! I couldn’t find it anywhere last night. Cool bass

Yeah I did a search for Maruszczyk on Facebook and it was the only one that came up but he was trying to sell it back in November then seemed to withdraw it for some reason. However he says it's still for sale and it seems a pretty good price at £675.

8 minutes ago, ead said:

@Deedee The Sandberg "P" is called the VS.  I have one that gets a lot of use at gigs with my US Std P (I have one tuned to Eb and the other to E).  There used to be a passive VS in the original California series, this is a California II so slightly smaller body and thinner headstock.  It makes them very light, this one in particular is rather less than 8lbs.  I've changed the pickup to a Nordy NP4 and it passive mode it sounds great.  Active good too, fairly subtle but effective EQ.

Quick pic for you, note that this is a custom colour:

5a9908b743c76_VS401.thumb.jpg.76c8d4e4f20a5f2eb701ea7a5fe9f244.jpg

Looks lovely but a bit too nice and shiny for me!!

3 minutes ago, Tweedledum said:

I'd say go for the '66. I'm a vintage Fender nut so I'm biased of course. ;) 

It is a beautiful bass but it's the age old question... is it worth 4/5 times a newish '63 AVRI or a Limelight? Of course it's all subjective and depends on so many different factors such as whether you're looking at it as an investment too. However, I'm not too bothered about future values... I just hope when I pop my clogs that my missus doesn't sell my basses for what I told her I paid for them! :biggrin:

• Haha 1

Before I dropped a deposit on the Limelight, I was set on getting my first 'real' 60s P.

I tried a few that were within my price range - not pennies, but not Andy Baxter prices - and none of them sang to me. And because my budget wasn't showroom prices, they'd all been tinkered with one way or another, and not always obviously.

Maybe one day, with a bigger budget...

2 minutes ago, Tweedledum said:

The current Mexican Fenders are good value for the money, too.

I really like this one:

7539838_800.jpg

They are but I've already got a great MIM Nate Mendel signature P bass so I just fancy something a little different. To be honest the Nate looks great, plays brilliant and sounds fantastic so I'm possibly setting my expectations too high but it's either spend my hard earned cash on more basses or blow it on women and wine!

14 hours ago, rushscored4 said:

There's also a stunning original 1966 model on here for £4,750 which is within budget but I'm not sure I can justify spending over four times as much for an original vintage P bass compared to a modern reissue!

I have also been looking for a P bass recently. I did think about buying something vintage but I was put off by the fact, that there appears to be more 'vintage' basses out there than ever left the Fender factory in the 50s and 60s.

I read a blog from an American, ex vintage guitar dealer, that there are so many extremely good fakes out there, he couldn't tell the difference between the real ones and the fakes. It got to the stage that he no longer buys and sells vintage guitars any more, because he felt he could no longer confirm to buyers that they were real thing.

52 minutes ago, rushscored4 said:

Looks lovely but a bit too nice and shiny for me!!

Just as well as it's not for sale xD

I don't think Limelight do 3TSB basses, but all the other colours.  Mark did a great job in recreating the Geddy '72 Jazz for me though.  Very reasonable price too.

15 minutes ago, gjones said:

I have also been looking for a P bass recently. I did think about buying something vintage but I was put off by the fact, that there appears to be more 'vintage' basses out there than ever left the Fender factory in the 50s and 60s.

I read a blog from an American, ex vintage guitar dealer, that there are so many extremely good fakes out there, he couldn't tell the difference between the real ones and the fakes. It got to the stage that he no longer buys and sells vintage guitars any more, because he felt he could no longer confirm to buyers that they were real thing.

As you say there are plenty of fakes out there but there are also many great and some not so great, all originals. I remember reading about that ex vintage dealer and came to the conclusion that the reason he was an ex vintage dealer, was that he wasn't that clued up. :)

Pound for Pound depends on what you want. If you want shiny I would go Fender Japan reissue and upgrade the pickup. If you want worn in I'd go light relic Limelight, although Mark won't do a sunburst (although he will do a colour over sunburst - must lack confidence!!).

I would add that it is possibly worth looking at the JV Squiers.  I have two - one is a very early Fender logo, one a bit later - they are both stonkingly good, better than any Fenders that I've had my mitts on.  The later one perhaps sounds a tad better, if anything, although the fit and finish of the F logo one is tighter.  Maybe I have been lucky, but worth a look.

• Like 1

You seem to have a large range in your budget; the difference between a 1k & 2k bass can be quite noticeable so not entirely fair as a comparison but for me the Fender CS P-basses are worth the spend. 

When I was looking for a P a year or so ago I tried anything/everything that had 4 strings & a P pickup over a period of a couple of months, this is ranging from £400 Squiers through every Fender range right up to proper vintage 6-8k basses (though I couldn't actually afford one of these), plus a load of other brands like Limelight, Sandberg, Yamaha etc... The best two for me in terms of playing feel & sound were both Fender CS - I ended up buying the 2nd to best one in the end!

Considering P basses are the simplest of the lot you wouldn't believe the variety out there & how different they can all feel/sound. But the CS ones just do everything so right, from the grain of the woods used to the fit & finish, they just feel incredible in the hand as soon as you pick them up. I get that some people aren't into the relicing but the way they do the back of the neck is so nice & for me, not having to worry about the paint getting a slight knock when gigging is a plus (I play in quite a heavy band so there's a movement on stage). 

It might be worth you giving Wunjo Bass (in London) a call to see what they've got in - their website isn't very good but they get a fair few used/vintage basses through in your price range. It's not a colour you're after but they've got two natural 70's P-basses in at the moment that look nice (one maple one rosewood fretboards) - have a look on their instagram.