Why become a member? ×

How to get back into playing...

fragility

so the deal is I used to play a lot, but over the last year or so, work has kicked into over drive and I've let my bass playing slip (I know, I should be shot!)

So I'm now making effort to try and clear away some time to play, but I'm just tstruggling to get back into playing - I just keep getting frustrated because I'm even worse than I ever was before.

Has anyone got some ideas for instantly fun things I can learn ?(I'm essentially starting from scratch here)

If my experience is anything to go by, first you want a bass you can't walk past without wanting to pick & have it on a stand ready to play.It helps if its set up perfectly so it feels like its doing half the work for you.

Then have a way of playing along to songs without having to hunt for cables, plug in an amp etc. I have a tascam MP-GT1, (a headphone guitar amp & MP3 player in one handy rechargable unit) I have it loaded up with all the songs I'm working on & everything that is likely to be on the next gig setlist. I make sure its always charged up and keep it next to a curly cable and a set of headphones. Even if I've only got ten minutes to spare I can play through three songs without wasting half the time setting everything up first.

As for what to play - nothing makes me make time to practice like an upcoming gig, so I always make sure the set list is made about a week in advance of the gig so I know what to practice.

the most fun I've had learning recently (but not for a specific gig) was working through Ed Friedland's 'Blues Bass' book - I put the CD on my Tascam so I can dip into it whenever I like.

What he said, you've gotta have a bass you love playing or you won't be excited to play it! The band thing is true too. If you have some stuff that you HAVE to learn, you'll have to play them, and if it's stuff you don't mind playing then you shouldn't feel like you're forcing yourself to do it.

Also have a good listen to some bassists that you're really into and think to yourself "i want to play like that". Listen to some music that really gets you motivated. A good listen to some red hot chilis always gets me wanting to pick my bass up and have a bash because the bass is just so lively and fun.

Good luck getting back into it :) I should probably take some of my own advice too! I got an electric a few weeks ago and i've hardly touched my basses... i might just have a play now!

Band - the only way. I joined a gigging covers band a while back and have never played as much. It's true that lots of it is music I wouldn't listen to myself, but that's not the point. It's got me playing. Gigs are the ultimate learning experience!

Welcome back :)

What sort of music are you into? That'll give us an idea to base ( no pun intended!) suggestions on. One thing I would say is that, although it sounds like it's frustrating at the moment, don't forget that you used to play a lot and therefore are completely 100% capabale of doing so - it just takes a bit of time to get everything back to where it was :huh:

Cheers
Alun

Hey!
+1 to all above. I have recently started playing, well about a year ago. The tascam MB-BT1 has helped no end , apart from the fact that I have broken it twice!

I warm up with some finger exersizes which i got from the Dave Marks website, and these are also on you tube. PLus i looked at the Guy Pratt stuff as well which is really good fun.

Download easy songs on to the bass trainer and just try not to run before you can walk again.

Oh, and scales apparently!

Matt

Edited by Absolute-beginner

[quote name='markytbass' post='330341' date='Nov 16 2008, 11:08 PM']I had a 10 year break while my lad was growing up. I bought a book of bass scales and got into a local band. Several bands later and I'm still learning.[/quote]

Ditto for me - except fpr the scales!

Ah, today I've discovered Doug Wimbish - watched a bit of his playing and effect using - gotta say, it was tasty. Furthermore, today I've practised two times - before 'seeing' Doug, and after. In a meantime I'm quite unhappy about my 'relationship-situation' with bass, but, after this little 'Doug-influenced' practice, I'm going to bed with smile in my face :)

Hail Doug.

Edited by Faithless

Im still pretty new to bass guitar so to make me practice I have given myself the challenge of learning one song per day. I have gone through my music collection and then visited Ultimate Guitar Tabs (dot com) and got the tabs I need. I havent gone for all the same stuff, for instance I learned 'Tarantula' by Pendulum at the weekend and learned 'Teddy Picker' by Arctic Monkeys tonight. I have to be able to play it wihtout the tab by the end of the night.

Its a good way to challenge yourself and keep practicing. Maybe that will help you.

Edited by agroupuk

As agro says a good 'play along' software like Guitarpro will have you learning stuff in half the time of books, though I'm not knocking learning theory per se. Getting into a band straight off can be a daunting task. A good intermediate stage, as Bilbo pointed out, is finding a local jam session with musicians sympathetic to beginners and near beginners.

Edited by KevB

All the above, +1. But also, don't think of yourself as a beginner anymore, once a bass player, ALWAYS a bass player. It's what you want to do, right?

Get the Tascam MPBT1 if you can, as mentioned earlier. I have an old CDBT!MKII which has just died, and my new MPBT1 arrives tomorrow. I have a dep gig (on Boxing Day of all days...) and the set list is going straight on it tomorrow. Put the songs you want to mess with on your ipod and listen to them when you can't be playing, if that's practical.

Then you'll be ITCHING to get your mitts around the thing as soon as you walk in the door.

I took 17 years off, never had an instrument in all that time, never even listened to music much. When I got my Sting bass in 2003, it was like I'd never been away. And I was, beyond all doubt, BETTER, because I KNEW I wasn't going to have to start from scratch! And you don't have to, either! Bonus!

I'd say not to put any pressure on yourself. I went through years of playing for an hour or so every day, the whole music reading, Bach stuff.

Now, I don't even have an amp at home most of the time, and can go weeks without even taking the bass out of the case.

Play for fun, when you have inspiration, when you want. This way, it will come to you. Set yourself realistic goals, a scale a week, or a new song a week for instance.

Go to music shops and chat with people in there, get yourself a good book about bass and tray and listen to the music you like.

Get lessons with a mate, or invite a guitar player round. I used to teach my best mate a few chords on the guitar, and we would just jam along and create tracks and stuff. All good ways to get you into playing without the pressure of it being too formalised.

Just have fun, if it's not fun then it's a WASTE OF TIME.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='agroupuk' post='332012' date='Nov 18 2008, 11:54 PM']I have gone through my music collection and then visited Ultimate Guitar Tabs (dot com) and got the tabs I need.[/quote]

Thanks for the great tip. It now feels like all my Christmases have come at once!

Learning by ear is great but sometimes it's just really handy to see annotation.

Cheers
AM