Why become a member? ×

Top tip

Creeper

1 minute ago, Bobthedog said:

If it is for a Christmas Pudding. it should be the burnt remnants of the turkey. Otherwise known as Wishbone Ash. No don’t thank me, feel free to use that a a band name if it hasn not been done before. 

Going back to the OP, I suggest filling the bath to the brim and then putting the bass into the bath. The weight of the displaced water will equal the weight of the water previously in the bath. I am not sure what that means but it must help. 

We don't have a bath, will this work in the shower?

3 minutes ago, Bobthedog said:

Only if you have a watertight shower door. Apparently my shower door was not.  

No idea if the shower door is watertight. I'll pop in there in a moment with my best Precision and see if I can work out the weight once I've collected all the water off the bathroom floor.

Edited by FinnDave
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Norris said:

The crucial part of any spoon is the angle between bowl and handle a.k.a. the breakfast angle. If too shallow it will suffer nut rattles, causing a lack of pudding cohesion

Conversely, too steep an angle and you get slippage which leads to poor performance.

2 hours ago, Painy said:

If the amount of water spilt onto the bathroom floor whilst bathing is an accurate depiction of weight then my kids must each be somewhere around the weight of an adult humpback whale.

It must be a more accurate way of weighing a bass, though, before I took in the shower my Precision weighed under nine pounds according to the kitchen scales, but obviously the accuracy of the Archimedean shower scared them into revealing its true weight afterwards at just under 27 lbs. I'll play it tomorrow if water has stopped pouring out of the jack socket by then.

I have another method. First of all take your car to your local weighbridge and get it weighed accurately. Then drive into your bass at a known speed, ensuring that all momentum is transferred to the instrument in question. Measure the speed at which your bass travels and by simply applying the law of conservation of momentum you can then work out the mass of your bass. If you lack the necessary equipment to measure the bass velocity accurately, then just measure the distance travelled by the bass, contact the highways department to find out the coefficient of friction of your local road surface and apply basic Newtonian physics. It really couldn't be easier

1 hour ago, Norris said:

The crucial part of any spoon is the angle between bowl and handle a.k.a. the breakfast angle. If too shallow it will suffer nut rattles...

I've been having problems with my breakfast angle and nut rattles. The current mrs discreet says it's an age thing. :|

8 minutes ago, discreet said:

I've been having problems with my breakfast angle and nut rattles. The current mrs discreet says it's an age thing. :|

6 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I feel sure a new spoon would help.

There is another (more drastic) solution, which involves changing another aspect of the situation.  I performed this manoeuvre last year and can conform it solved all angle and nut rattle issues :)

Edited by 3below
multi-quotes in wrong order

4 minutes ago, 3below said:

There is another (more drastic) solution, which involves changing another aspect of the situation.  I performed this manoeuvre last year and can conform it solved all angle and nut rattle issues :)

That sounds as if it could potentially leave you open to losing at least half of your spoon collection

Edited by FinnDave

3 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

That sounds as if it could potentially leave you open to losing at least half of your spoon collection

It will not have been the cheapest option when all the puddings and spoons are shared out :( On the plus side all diners have sufficient puddings.and I have started using the spoons in their natural habitat again :)

23 hours ago, lurksalot said:

After instigating a thread recently of a scientific nature , I learnt that the thing you speak of, is actually a hypothesis , not a theory :D

The hypothesis seems to agree with the theory. Hung the bass on a rope (for safety). Attached a guitar third string. Wound tuner until rope went slack. Closest I could get was B flat (233Hz), the string started to slip on the tuner if tightened further.

String weight is 0.00005 pounds per foot (15 gauge),  length 17.5 inches, using D'Addario formula:

Tension  = 0.00005 x (2 x 17.5 x 233) x (2 x 17.5 x 233)/386.4  = 8.6 pounds

Not too far out, weight on scales (with assistance of Mrs P) is 8 lb 11 oz

pbassweight.jpg

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, pfretrock said:

The hypothesis seems to agree with the theory. Hung the bass on a rope (for safety). Attached a guitar third string. Wound tuner until rope went slack. Closest I could get was B flat (233Hz), the string started to slip on the tuner if tightened further.

String weight is 0.00005 pounds per foot (15 gauge),  length 17.5 inches, using D'Addario formula:

pbassweight.jpg

I am going to use this one as a practical for my Physics students, set as an open ended challenge - here is some kit, find the mass of the object.  It is a nice application of moder kit (tuner) and classical theory.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 3below said:

I am going to use this one as a practical for my Physics students, set as an open ended challenge - here is some kit, find the mass of the object.  It is a nice application of moder kit (tuner) and classical theory.

This does raise the question of when we list our basses for sale we should be quoting mass or weight.

weight is a movable measurement dependant upon a number of factors, if you are playing your bass on the moon for example your bass will weigh considerably less than if you are gigging at WSL in Sheffield, whereas the mass will remain constant.

i hear that Virgin are shortly opening up flights to the moon which may be good news for those of us who long for the deep rich tones of a heavy woods, but struggle with the weight of such a substantial axe.....

Edited by Creeper

8 minutes ago, Creeper said:

i hear that Virgin are shortly opening up flights to the moon which may be good news for those of us who long for the deep rich tones of a heavy woods, but struggle with the weight of such a substantial axe.....

There is no atmosphere, you will not hear those no-longer-heavy bass cabs.

48 minutes ago, pfretrock said:

pbassweight.jpg

So are you going to try my conservation of momentum method next?

26 minutes ago, 3below said:

Make sure the the object is supported by a rope first. Tricky bit was getting the string to hold on the peg. Rope was tied to a Hercules hanger. Ball end of string held by a small bracket with hole drilled in it.

(could also maker a pendulum and time the period - the possibilities are endless!) But I think I'll stick with bathroom scales in the future.

3 minutes ago, pfretrock said:

There is no atmosphere, you will not hear those no-longer-heavy bass cabs.

That must be why they invented headphone amps! I did wonder.....

However, just think of the rig you could bring out your moon buggie, In just the one trip, stack up those old trace 6x10 cabs, stick a few 18s on there, it would almost be worth not hearing it...

53 minutes ago, pfretrock said:

pbassweight.jpg

Head ......done in 

but then string theory was never my strong point ! 

• Like 1