Why become a member? ×

Top tip

Creeper

38 minutes ago, Creeper said:

This does raise the question of when we list our basses for sale we should be quoting mass or weight.

weight is a movable measurement dependant upon a number of factors, if you are playing your bass on the moon for example your bass will weigh considerably less than if you are gigging at WSL in Sheffield, whereas the mass will remain constant.

i hear that Virgin are shortly opening up flights to the moon which may be good news for those of us who long for the deep rich tones of a heavy woods, but struggle with the weight of such a substantial axe.....

Agree.  Mass or weight, often misunderstood.  A 9 Kg bass is the mass not the weight.  Yes I am pedantic on this one, it is my day job :).

21 minutes ago, pfretrock said:

Make sure the the object is supported by a rope first. Tricky bit was getting the string to hold on the peg. Rope was tied to a Hercules hanger. Ball end of string held by a small bracket with hole drilled in it.

(could also maker a pendulum and time the period - the possibilities are endless!) But I think I'll stick with bathroom scales in the future.

Mentioning pendulums made me think about simple harmonic motion.  We could suspend the bass using a spring (of known spring constant) and measure the oscillation period.  Apply the maths and we get the mass.

What a great thread, what would the other bass forum make of this thread :)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, pfretrock said:

Next project - measure the inductance of a pickup? Needs some DAW kit (I used a Focusrite. PC soundcards don't work well), some free software,  a resistor and a known capacitor.

:) These days I cheat on LCR measurements since meters are cheap as chips. However no need to give students the easy way out,  I have the 'beater' guitar in the lab and think I will be making more use of it.

21 hours ago, pfretrock said:

(could also maker a pendulum and time the period - the possibilities are endless!) But I think I'll stick with bathroom scales in the future.

Ahem. The weight of a pendulum has no affect on it's period. It's all to do with the centre of gravity.

Mind you you could measure the period with just the bass, than add a known weight at a known distance from the fulcrum. Measure the change in period, which would tell you how far the centre of gravity had moved,  from which you could calculate the weight of the bass. All ignoring the weight of the string of course, and it has to be a small swing or it's not simple harmonic motion anymore (well actually it never is but at small angles  the errors are literally negligible).

PS TO MODS: Why can't we have an English rather than American spell checker?

33 minutes ago, Count Bassy said:

...PS TO MODS: Why can't we have an English rather than American spell checker?

30 minutes ago, discreet said:

It may be different for you, but I think my spell checking is handled by my browser, not Basschat.

Indeed, I'm using Opera, and switch between English (United Kingdom...) and French, depending on context. Check your browser options, perhaps..?

On 27/01/2018 at 08:29, Bobthedog said:

This reminds me of a story told by a colleague of mine. He bought some clever electronic scales that also connected to an app on his iPhone. One day whilst at work the app pinged open and declared a persons weight. A few minutes later the app pinged open again and showed a weight roughly 2kgs lighter than the previous one. He thought odd but thought nothing of it assuming his daughter and a friend must be at home. When he later questioned the daughter on how her day went she said she had been out all day on the coast. The only slightly queasy assumption he could come up with was his cleaner must of weighed herself. Then got undressed and re weighed herself!

Unless she weighed herself, went to the bathroom to drop the kids off, then weighed herself again?